News   Mar 28, 2024
 212     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

GO studies Bolton rail service

The announcement of a study is great. But as others have noted, means nothing until a funding announcement for actual service is made. While I am in full support of this new line to Bolton, I want to see a funding announcement for the Lakeshore East line to Bowmanville first.

We should be very concerned about a proposal to build a new GO Train route that does not articulate directly serving new community centres, and that implies more stations sitting in the middle of a field of parked cars.

While I’m sure that the Business Case will project good ridership, giving this particular area an old-school GO service is why I despair for the GTA. We can do better at urban planning than this.

- Paul

We should be very concerned about a proposal to build a new GO Train route that does not articulate directly serving new community centres, and that implies more stations sitting in the middle of a field of parked cars.

While I’m sure that the Business Case will project good ridership, giving this particular area an old-school GO service is why I despair for the GTA. We can do better at urban planning than this.

- Paul
Very true.
There are a few other options along the route that I think are worthwhile and could break the mold:
  • Finch&Weston: provide connection to FInch West LRT
  • Steeles Rd: wouldn't provide much direct development around it, but it does provide access to/from the Steeles Bus, to the local employment area, and to York University via Steeles bus
  • Woodbridge: has potential to become more transit-oriented community, more density, etc.
  • Elder Mills: could still be transit oriented development here.
  • Major Mackenzie: could have been a transit-oriented community, but that ship has already sailed. The development there has proceeded, and is typical suburban lots, but just a bit denser.
  • Bolton Queen/Highway 50: Highway 50 is a blank slank of plazas more or less. To me, the main problem has always been that the station in Bolton was proposed at King St instead of here.
  • Bolton King St: could be developed as a transit-oriented community

The announcement of a study is great. But as others have noted, means nothing until a funding announcement for actual service is made. While I am in full support of this new line to Bolton, I want to see a funding announcement for the Lakeshore East line to Bowmanville first.
That funding is already in place from my understanding.

I think this and the Milton AD2W service announcements are pushes for the next round of GO upgrades after On-Corr works it's way through. I wouldn't any to open for service until the 2030's.

Perhaps we'll get an announcement when after OnCorr's bidder is selected? I would think that they want to hold back the news until they know what type of electrification they're going to be working with.

Maybe we'll get an RER-ed Bolton Line (just kidding).
You joke, but alot of people pass through Caledon on their way to work, you could create massive transit hub for people to park and then take the train.

Very true.
There are a few other options along the route that I think are worthwhile and could break the mold:
  • Finch&Weston: provide connection to FInch West LRT
  • Steeles Rd: wouldn't provide much direct development around it, but it does provide access to/from the Steeles Bus, to the local employment area, and to York University via Steeles bus
  • Woodbridge: has potential to become more transit-oriented community, more density, etc.
  • Elder Mills: could still be transit oriented development here.
  • Major Mackenzie: could have been a transit-oriented community, but that ship has already sailed. The development there has proceeded, and is typical suburban lots, but just a bit denser.
  • Bolton Queen/Highway 50: Highway 50 is a blank slank of plazas more or less. To me, the main problem has always been that the station in Bolton was proposed at King St instead of here.
  • Bolton King St: could be developed as a transit-oriented community
Very good points. I will note that the station site in Caledon is intended to be a well designed TOC, more here: https://engage.letsgocaledon.ca/

We need this at Bolton Station

669f772b8c469b5a5b2d2b28a59b4dbe.jpg

Good day,

I have an unusual request and hope that you can help me a little.

My name is Marc Moll. I was told that you are the right person to contact when it comes to the history of bus transport in Canada.
Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to get information on this subject.
I had a discussion with a friend about bus service in the 70s, especially in the 80s and 90s. I will also give a presentation on this topic (public transport) in class. l

My first question is: Since when have there been automatic announcements and stop displays on buses?

Before there were automatic stop announcements and displays, did the bus driver have to announce the stops over the microphone?
Did the bus drivers also do this when they had to announce the stops themselves? Was this also done in practice?
Or how was a passenger supposed to know where the next stop was?

How did the bus drivers handle this? Did they follow it exactly, did most do it or only half, etc.? What percentage of bus drivers always announce the stops without being asked?
Did the announcements work equally well during the period mentioned (1970, 1980, 1990) or was it worse at the beginning or end of this period?

Are there many former bus drivers or others who rode the bus frequently during this period (1970) or 1980/1990 who know what it was really like or experienced it themselves?

I look forward to your reply

With kind regards

Marc Moll

Good day,

My name is Marc Moll. I was told that you are the right person to contact when it comes to the history of bus transport in Canada.
I had a discussion with a friend about bus service in the 70s, especially in the 80s and 90s. I will also give a presentation on this topic (public transport) in class. l

My first question is: Since when have there been automatic announcements and stop displays on buses?

Before there were automatic stop announcements and displays, did the bus driver have to announce the stops over the microphone?
Did the bus drivers also do this when they had to announce the stops themselves? Was this also done in practice?

How did the bus drivers handle this? Did they follow it exactly, did most do it or only half, etc.? What percentage of bus drivers always announce the stops without being asked?
Did the announcements work equally well during the period mentioned (1970, 1980, 1990) or was it worse at the beginning or end of this period?

Are there many former bus drivers or others who rode the bus frequently during this period (1970) or 1980/1990 who know what it was really like or experienced it themselves?

With kind regards

Marc Moll

This might be the wrong thread - but you can find the push towards stop announcement in this thread: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/lawsuit-forces-bus-drivers-to-call-out-all-stops.4482/

And the Ontario Human Rights Commission case that spawned the development:

MoD

This is good news even without funding. It means that the land won't be built or ripped up for housing/commercial and it put's the corridor into political discourse,

Stations, and some amount of double track.And a connection to either the Kitchener or some other line. I wonder if North Toronto will be on the table this time, as it was the last time Bolton was studied.

But when the election debate in that community will undoubtedly center on building a freeway, and creating development pressures, throwing a promise of GO service in the mix is probably inevitable.

- Paul
Really? North Toronto at Summerhill? That seems a bit odd and has more been thought of for the Milton/Midtown corridor from my readings. But please enlighten me, as I'm in interested in hearing.

Really? North Toronto at Summerhill? That seems a bit odd and has more been thought of for the Milton/Midtown corridor from my readings. But please enlighten me, as I'm in interested in hearing.

Have a look at this study from 2010 - I think it's fair to say that this, rather than Milton, was how the North Toronto idea was first broached, although there may be other studies also.

- Paul

Good day,

With kind regards

Marc Moll
I think in the early 2000's it became mandatory for stops to be announced. GO drivers would announce all major stops but not flag stops.

Back