News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Go fund me discomfort

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
leaving aside tragedies where the income earner or parent dies, I’m uncomfortable with is idea that when a family loses a child, as in the case of the Saskatchewan bus crash, that the way to respond is to make the parents millionaires. If my daughter died I couldn’t accept money.

leaving aside tragedies where the income earner or parent dies, I’m uncomfortable with is idea that when a family loses a child, as in the case of the Saskatchewan bus crash, that the way to respond is to make the parents millionaires. If my daughter died I couldn’t accept money.

There are the dead, and then are the living but permanently maimed to consider as well.

AoD

These sort of campaigns don't happen for every tragedy so the chances that there would be a campaign for your daughter (or most other people) are likely slim.

These sort of campaigns don't happen for every tragedy so the chances that there would be a campaign for your daughter (or most other people) are likely slim.

What I found "interesting" is the differences in amount collected between this and the NYCC attack.

AoD

But why is the size of the tragedy material? Is it worse for the individual family if their loss is part of a larger loss?

That the way in which different tragedies, both personal and collective is dealt with varies should surprise no one, and disappoint most.

I think the desire to give, in whatever way one can, is common when one is aware of someone else's heartbreak/tragedy.

For many, money is all they can offer, as they aren't a neighbour or a relative etc.

That we all only become aware of these tragedies when they are highlighted in the media is one clear cause of differential treatment.

Even when we are made aware of a teen assaulted in Toronto, perhaps w/serious lasting injuries, we don't tend to see follow-up stories on it.

Part of that is that the nature of the tragedy has to be of a scale and/or other unique attribute as to capture the imagination of the media.

Even in a low-crime city, and one w/relatively safe roads, we are inundated by news of crime and traffic accidents such that they merit only a brief mention in media coverage.

I don't think 'GO Fund me' or the like, should be a standard reflex after a tragedy.

On the other hand, we as a society continue to leave gaping holes in our social safety net which is one reason people (sometimes) respond this way.

If we simply had vastly more comprehensive healthcare coverage, and better death benefits as well for low-income folks; Such that there was no financial
barrier to a basic burial/cremation and a modest service, it would reduce the extent to which people are genuinely affected by such tragedy and the manner in
which the broader populace responds.

Addressing the question of media though would be part of any shift; a bit more attention to each tragedy in society and a bit less saturation coverage of larger ones would be great.

Though I'm not sure there's a good mechanism to induce the desired change.

Last edited:
Personally, I would never donate to a fund for victims of crime or human-related accidents. On the other hand, I always donate to funds related to natural disasters.

I'll have to ask my psychologist why this is and I'll get back to you. (Don't hold your breath, I don't actually have a psychologist).

I don't actually have a psychologist.
Now, that's something to fund!

GoFundMeLogo-300pixels.gif

I've noticed that SJWs on Tumblr and Twitter like to solicit donations on Gofundme for no legitimate reasons. "Someone said a racist word to me, help me pay for my college tuition."

Back