News   Mar 28, 2024
 124     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 184     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 251     0 

GO Delay Notices: 8 Business Days and Counting!

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
As a subscriber to the GO email alerts for the Georgetown line, it is quite amazing how many I get.

Just grouped them together out of curiosity and found that this mornings volley of delay and modification notices marks 8 consecutive working days of of at least one delay/cancellation/modification notices.

Makes me glad I do not depend on this line to get me to work and makes me wonder how anyone does!

I don't get notices from other lines.....is 8 straight days normal or unusual?

Interesting.

Generally, how serious are they? Are we talking 5 or 10 minute delays, or full cancellations?

I wonder what the cause is? West Toronto Diamond work, CN strike, staffing issues, or something else?

Interesting.

Generally, how serious are they? Are we talking 5 or 10 minute delays, or full cancellations?

I wonder what the cause is? West Toronto Diamond work, CN strike, staffing issues, or something else?

I would have to read them again but I recall it mostly being "equipment issues" and they are usually grouped together....so there is one train delayed, that causes another train to be delayed then some "modification" to service.....here are today's 3 (so far)... I think they are fairly typical of the past 8 days:

The Georgetown 06:22 - Union 07:25 train trip is delayed 19 minutes from Georgetown due to an equipment issue.

This message was sent on: 11/30/2009 6:45 AM

The Georgetown 07:06 - Union 07:58 train trip will operate express from Georgetown to Union due to an equipment issue. As a result, this train trip will not service the Mount Pleasant, Brampton, and Bramalea, GO Stations. Passengers will be accommodated on the Georgetown 07:43 - Union 08:45 train trip. We apologize for the inconvenience.

This message was sent on: 11/30/2009 7:16 AM

The Bramalea 07:38 - Union 08:14 train trip is estimated to be delayed 10-15 minutes from Bramalea due to an equipment issue affecting an earlier train. Please visit http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/status/showtrainbus.aspx for updates.

This message was sent on: 11/30/2009 7:54 AM

Like I said, this seems fairly representative of what I have read over the past 8 working days......the humour in the last one is also fairly typical......they send an email out 16 minutes after the 7:38 was supposed to have left (thus rendering the value of this early warning/notice system as useless) and at that 16 minutes after departure time notice all they can say is that the delay is estimated to be 10 - 15 minutes......mmm, if the max delay was 15 minutes, couldn't they take away the "estimate" langauge at 7:54?

How serious....well individually maybe not so much but cummulative quite significant. The change to the 7:06 train (operating express from Georgetown as opposed to Bramalea is quite an issue for someone in, say, Brampton....who would have boarded that train normally at 7:23 and expect to be at Union at 7:58 and work shortly thereafter.....now they are being told they will be "accomodated" on a train that is scheduled to arrive at Union at 8:45 so nearly a full hour's delay....which they would only know about once they were at the station! To them....pretty serious!)

Last edited:
Forget the number of incidents! Why the bloody hell are those notices sent after the train was originally scheduled to depart from its point of origin? How useless is that?

It's useful if you planned on boarding the train at Bloor Station.

I am sure the 3 people per day that do that appreciate the notice! The vast majority of people on that line board at the 3 Brampton Stations, Malton, Etob. North and Weston.

Forget the number of incidents! Why the bloody hell are those notices sent after the train was originally scheduled to depart from its point of origin? How useless is that?

That is the pattern......on a more positive note....today (so far) seems to break the string! Either there are no delays or they have given up sending notices!

So is a Metropass.

Sometimes you absolutely have to get downtown in 10 minutes or less.

I counted 50-100 people who took the GO Train from Union to Kipling this past summer.

I don't get notices from other lines.....is 8 straight days normal or unusual?

It's somewhere between normal and unusual.

Oddly, I have more patience for long delays caused by mechanical, switch and signal problems than I have for short/medium delays caused by passengers who are incapable of boarding the train in a timely fashion.

Back