News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 686     0 

Globe Series on Tourism in Toronto

I find something rather odd ... maybe someone can correct me.

Most articles I've seen over the past year seem to point that the number of tourists coming to Toronto has been increasing ... so while they may not be satisfied they keep coming?

Likely the majority of visiting tourists know someone in the area. Our high immigration rate is probably driving the majority of the tourist visits, especially as places like China, India, and eastern Europe are becoming more financially capable of travelling. With so many relatives outside the city there can't help but be more tourists as the population grows.

Old City Hall Opera House

Does anyone else remember the proposal from the mid-90s to place an opera house in the courtyard of Old City Hall? I think it was after the Bay/Wellesley proposal died and before the current location was found.

I've spent just about every summer during my undergrad working in tourism and I grew up in Niagara, so I know a thing or two about the industry. One summer in Niagara Falls at a campground, one with Toronto's tourism department doing research (essentially talking to tourists in front of the InfoTOgo truck) and last summer as an assistant policy advisor with the province's Ministry of Tourism. So I've worked on the industry's front line, done research, and had the chance to work with the people who are in charge of the Province's tourism policy and here's what I've learned.

First, we're afraid. We're afraid to invest money in real attractions, and instead would rather spend it on marketing. Marketing apparently is the key to everything. It's not. People don't see an ad and make travel plans. They go because they know of or hear of things that are great to see there, and often it's just common knowledge. I know that in London I can go to Westminster Abbey and Big Ben. I don’t need an ad to tell me about them. Those attract people, and then from there people do other things. In Toronto we have the tower, which is awesome for a tourist attraction, but what's around it? uhh nothing... a baseball stadium and some sort of vegetable garden. Come on, this is the world's tallest structure and you're growing a veggie garden at the bottom? why aren't you capitalizing on that space with something that will make people want to hang out at the Tower?

As mentioned Ontario Place needs to be spruced up. We need quicker transit to our fantastic zoo (1.5-2 hours from Union Station is pathetic). We need a stronger transit connection between Niagara Falls and Toronto to make Southern Ontario somewhere people can spend a week without having to rent a car. We need to acknowledge the importance of culture and arts as not just improving the quality of life for Torontonians, but also as an economic driver.

I’ve argued this before, but I think the buildings on the CNE grounds are some of the greatest examples of architecture in this city, and no one even knows they exist. Imagine if the CNE grounds was all pedestrian, with all of these buildings adapted to become museums or attractions. The CNE is in decline, and I have little doubt that Toronto could make exponentially more money on year-round attractions on the land than they do in the 2 weeks of the EX.

Why aren’t there any other top notch tourist destinations on the waterfront that will provide a Tourism route that flows from the waterfront to Bloor? Let’s face it, hTo Park and Sugar Beach, and the whole waterfront plan isn’t going to draw tourists. Here’s what we can do that would make Toronto an amazing destination:
A tourist’s day starts at The Princes Gate where they have an awesome view of the skyline and a choice of 3 or 4 different museums situated within a large pedestrian area/park. After that, they walk down a beautified Lakeshore to Queens Quay and Bathurst where an amazing attraction is built at the site of the malting silos. Then people pass the Music Garden, walk down along the waterfront to Rees and up to the CN Tower (with things to actually do/see at the base), then they walk up a spruced up John St passing by (and probably detouring to) restaurants and shops on King and Queen. All that way down John you have the new AGO looming high straight ahead. Grange Park would be a spectacular sculpture/art garden. After visiting the AGO people would walk to NPS and Old City Hall (where like the article above says, something touristy should exist) then walk they up Yonge to the ROM. That's an entire day or two of walking/exploring, and they haven't even touched any of the neighbourhoods that we're known for. If they tried building a new attraction, adapting a building and improving on another, Toronto would quickly become something you can’t just see in a day. Would this cost a lot of money. Of course. But, we’re one of the richest countries in the world. If poorer nations can do this, then why can’t we? If we can spend $600million on the Skydome, then we can surely invest in something far grander, that not only would attract tourists, but would give Torontonians opportunities for adventures in their own city.

Sorry if this is a little long, but there’s so much potential here.

who's going to fund this? the federal government? doent seem likely, ROC hates us, and anything we build to make us seem more attractive will just translate to the ROC as proof of our "vanity". ROC should get overthemselves.

Ah, the most obvious critique. Money... well, as I said, we're one of the richest countries in the world. This idea that we can't do something like this because we can't afford it is the same defeatist attitude that has limited this city, province and country for years.

Easy solution: you find PPP where you can, and otherwise you go with tax dollars. As I said, if we have so much money to build stadiums and subways to nowhere, we surely can build legitimate attractions/institutions. Also, if we are entering a recession, public works projects are a great way to combat unemployment. We spend now during slow times so that way these projects will be ready for when things have picked back up.

Hopefully some money will fall into our hands along the way as well via surpluses, a re-jigged Equalization program, etc.

I agree with jn_12 that Exhibition Place has enormous unmet potential, and that it is quite weird that attractions haven't multiplied around the base of the CN Tower.

On the other hand, to be very honest, I also think tourism as an industry is in for a sharp decline no matter what we do, and if we are to strategically attract business, then I'd rather it not be in tourism per se.

It seems to me with the Toronto's approach to Harbourfront and the West Don Lands that the emphasis is on making a livable city and I am OK with that.

I've spent just about every summer during my undergrad working in tourism and I grew up in Niagara, so I know a thing or two about the industry. One summer in Niagara Falls at a campground, one with Toronto's tourism department doing research (essentially talking to tourists in front of the InfoTOgo truck) and last summer as an assistant policy advisor with the province's Ministry of Tourism. So I've worked on the industry's front line, done research, and had the chance to work with the people who are in charge of the Province's tourism policy and here's what I've learned.

First, we're afraid. We're afraid to invest money in real attractions, and instead would rather spend it on marketing. Marketing apparently is the key to everything. It's not. People don't see an ad and make travel plans. They go because they know of or hear of things that are great to see there, and often it's just common knowledge. I know that in London I can go to Westminster Abbey and Big Ben. I don’t need an ad to tell me about them. Those attract people, and then from there people do other things. In Toronto we have the tower, which is awesome for a tourist attraction, but what's around it? uhh nothing... a baseball stadium and some sort of vegetable garden. Come on, this is the world's tallest structure and you're growing a veggie garden at the bottom? why aren't you capitalizing on that space with something that will make people want to hang out at the Tower?

As mentioned Ontario Place needs to be spruced up. We need quicker transit to our fantastic zoo (1.5-2 hours from Union Station is pathetic). We need a stronger transit connection between Niagara Falls and Toronto to make Southern Ontario somewhere people can spend a week without having to rent a car. We need to acknowledge the importance of culture and arts as not just improving the quality of life for Torontonians, but also as an economic driver.

I’ve argued this before, but I think the buildings on the CNE grounds are some of the greatest examples of architecture in this city, and no one even knows they exist. Imagine if the CNE grounds was all pedestrian, with all of these buildings adapted to become museums or attractions. The CNE is in decline, and I have little doubt that Toronto could make exponentially more money on year-round attractions on the land than they do in the 2 weeks of the EX.

Why aren’t there any other top notch tourist destinations on the waterfront that will provide a Tourism route that flows from the waterfront to Bloor? Let’s face it, hTo Park and Sugar Beach, and the whole waterfront plan isn’t going to draw tourists. Here’s what we can do that would make Toronto an amazing destination:
A tourist’s day starts at The Princes Gate where they have an awesome view of the skyline and a choice of 3 or 4 different museums situated within a large pedestrian area/park. After that, they walk down a beautified Lakeshore to Queens Quay and Bathurst where an amazing attraction is built at the site of the malting silos. Then people pass the Music Garden, walk down along the waterfront to Rees and up to the CN Tower (with things to actually do/see at the base), then they walk up a spruced up John St passing by (and probably detouring to) restaurants and shops on King and Queen. All that way down John you have the new AGO looming high straight ahead. Grange Park would be a spectacular sculpture/art garden. After visiting the AGO people would walk to NPS and Old City Hall (where like the article above says, something touristy should exist) then walk they up Yonge to the ROM. That's an entire day or two of walking/exploring, and they haven't even touched any of the neighbourhoods that we're known for. If they tried building a new attraction, adapting a building and improving on another, Toronto would quickly become something you can’t just see in a day. Would this cost a lot of money. Of course. But, we’re one of the richest countries in the world. If poorer nations can do this, then why can’t we? If we can spend $600million on the Skydome, then we can surely invest in something far grander, that not only would attract tourists, but would give Torontonians opportunities for adventures in their own city.

Sorry if this is a little long, but there’s so much potential here.

I visited Chicago recently. It's amazing how just on their waterfront they have the Adler planetarium, Shedd acquarium, Field Museum and Navy Pier. I wonder if they did this by accident or design. I was impressed.:)

I wonder how Chicago's tourist stats compare to ours?

We have some awful nice attractions, Zoo, Science Centre, ROM ... but they are all spread out. A shame what we did to our Planetarium too - Colonel McLaughlin must be awful upset.

I find something rather odd ... maybe someone can correct me.

Most articles I've seen over the past year seem to point that the number of tourists coming to Toronto has been increasing ... so while they may not be satisfied they keep coming?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ahhh but you see, Taal, you have forgotten rule no. 1 of the Toronto media: no matter how much actual, empirical evidence exists to the contrary, the city is almost always in some sort of "decline," no matter the subject.

I visited Chicago recently. It's amazing how just on their waterfront they have the Adler planetarium, Shedd acquarium, Field Museum and Navy Pier. I wonder if they did this by accident or design. I was impressed.

If only our corporations and our millionaires are as generous and philanthropic as those in Chicago around the time of the Burnham Plan of 1909. Not only did they contribute their money (their names are now attached to waterfront attractions like those listed above), but they contributed a lot of bold visions too (like Montgomery Ward's one-man crusade to preserve Grant Park).

I think there is a lot of old money lying around in Toronto and Canada waiting for projects like these. Considering much of the infrastructure is already in place, it's just a matter of providing content. One new building along the waterfront is the only thing needed in my little vision posted above. All the other buildings are built and just need to be adapted.

The other option we have is to use some of the fees we collect from developers towards this type of venture. For example, a sculpture/art garden in the grange could be fully funded by doing this.

I think you are absolutely right, jn. One of the long-term effects of the so-called "Cultural Renaissance" (how I hate that term!) is going to be a much better-developed culture of cultural/architectural philanthropy in the city. There is just so much money in town, and I think some of it may have been a bit embarassed by the readiness with which the likes of the Aspers, the late Lord Thomson, and Michael Lee-Chin ponied up in very large figures for the last round. I would not be at all surprised if the next round of cultural projects (stand-alone contemporary art museum, please!) have no trouble attracting quick money from individuals.

Tourism in Toronto...Plus Philly observations...

Everyone: Good series on tourism in Toronto. I am one of those people who got to really like Toronto in the 1979-1990 period basically and got to know and enjoy it.

EnviroTO,Hydrogen and all: I have spent alot of time myself in Philly-in fact I am answering this post from there-I wanted to mention that Center City is usually safe but that mention of South Philly-it depends how far W of Broad Street you go-the further W it can get quite rough. E of Broad Street from Washington Street on S is the large predominately Italian ethnic area of SP.
Most of this is and has been OK.

ETO: You mentioned Lansdale-I lived there myself from 1993 to 2000. You also mentioned sleeping in 30th Street Station once-with the way the Amtrak Police patrol it today post 9/11 it has to be one of the safest buildings in Philly today.

Philadelphia has a long way to go to ever be as safe-or to have a good a reputation that Toronto has-for being a safe city.
Long Island Mike

On the other hand, to be very honest, I also think tourism as an industry is in for a sharp decline no matter what we do, and if we are to strategically attract business, then I'd rather it not be in tourism per se.

Toronto/Southwest Ontario are within a day's drive of many large urban centres. We should be doing more to attract these tourists, even if only for long weekends. This would help if a downturn in the economy starts to drive away large groups of overseas tourists.

I had a closer look into this sitaution:

Our tourism numbers have been going up for a while now - in 2006 we had about 10million overnight + 10million day visits ... and revenue has been going up as well. I know 2007 was even higher ...

I just had a look at Chicago and I was shocked they peeked in 2000 and have been going down since then - in 2006 their numbers were around 11 million overall! that's it!!!

I'll post sources in a bit but can someone confirm ... New York 43 billion so double us in 2006.

More funniness ... searching tourism in Toront I see all the doom and gloom articles from the star and other places + the ONE good one saying how the numbers increated ... searching in Chicago and I see nothing ... hardly anything.

I think that's our problem - the media is so negative compared to other places ... It's suppose to be to a certain extent but not to this degree ... and after all these years it's effected the people too.
I remember back in 1999 or whenever when we were ranked as the best city to live in it wasn't like this at all, the opposite actually ... funny enough I also remember I had no idea why we were ranked like that ... it was SO much more boring then ... quieter ... conventional ...
But now were a lot different, better - but the media changes ... I think this all started when Toronto amalgamated things went really down hill.

I think that is the root of ALL our problems in Toronto.

I'd like to know what others think about this, agree | disagree? If I find a general consensus I'd like to attempt to do something about it if at all possible :).

Back