News   Aug 26, 2024
 554     2 

Globe: Planning for new roads with a green blueprint

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Globe:

Planning for new roads with a green blueprint
At the outset of a huge Golden Horseshoe road network surge, the province is assessing environmental impact like never before
JAMES RUSK

From Monday's Globe and Mail

July 14, 2008 at 4:41 AM EDT

The Ontario government is studying a massive expansion of the transportation network in the Golden Horseshoe that, when built over the next 20 years, will shape economic development in Canada's most populous area.

But unlike planning for earlier generations of four-lane highways, which took the primacy of road construction for granted, the province is trying to fit the new transportation corridors into an environmentally sensitive blueprint that protects the Niagara Escarpment, the Oak Ridge Moraine and the Greenbelt.

Now, before a road is built, the Ministry of Transportation carries out a detailed review of the environmental conditions in the area, transportation needs and alternative solutions, such as public transit for people and rail for goods or widening existing roads. A new highway is recommended only as the last solution.

In the western portion of the Greater Golden Horseshoe, the ministry is studying a corridor across the Niagara Peninsula, an east-west corridor from Guelph to Vaughan, and a northern extension of Highway 427. It will soon launch a study of a Brantford-Cambridge link between Highways 401 and 403.

Two other new highways also fit into these plans - the northern extension of Highway 410, a section of which is now under construction in the north edge of Brampton, and a new four-lane highway from Guelph to Kitchener, which is in the final design stage.

While the road network to the north and east of Toronto is also being expanded, the area west of the city is where the most extensive expansion of the transportation network will be needed over the next 20 to 30 years, according to public documents relating to the studies and interviews with ministry officials.

The ministry has assembled figures that demonstrate how much population and job growth have pushed up - and will continue to push up - traffic in the region.

For instance, the number of vehicles crossing the Burlington Skyway is growing at about 5 per cent a year, and the annual average daily volume of 88,300 vehicles crossing it in 1990 rose to 138,500 in 2006.

It will take eight to 10 years to complete the environmental assessments and only when they are approved by the Environment Ministry will new highway construction start.

Since the studies are in their early stages, the ministry officials say they cannot answer any of the questions that are front of mind with the public: Where exactly will roads go, what will they cost and will they be toll highways?

Two more pressing issues have emerged in the public consultations the ministry has conducted.

One is time. While the ministry's assessment process meets the standard of scrutiny to which massive new public projects are subjected, apart from the Highway 427 extension, it is unlikely that Ontarians will see cars driving on new roads until late in the next decade or the early 2020s.

With traffic already at a standstill, some of the drivers who attended the public consultations have asked why it takes so long to get a new road built, the officials said.

The other vital issue is municipal planning. Since development will continue while the province is planning the new corridors, local governments have been asking the ministry how they can approve new development in a way that will not impinge on what might turn out to be land needed by the province for a new highway.

The province had to step in this spring to tell Peel Region that it would be premature to consider an application to expand the boundary of the village of Bolton, as the lands were on a possible route for a new east-west road.

A golden transportation grid for the Horseshoe?

The Ontario government is looking 20 years into the future. It is planning now for more vehicles on the road, more highways and more public transit, and looking for ways to minimize environmental impact. Below are the four transportation corridors being studied.

EAST-WEST GTA CORRIDOR: The population and job growth in this area is projected at just over 80 per cent in the next 30 years.

HIGHWAY 427: The number of truck movements at the Canadian Pacific Railway's inter-modal freight yard in Vaughan is expected to more than double from about 430,000 a year to 900,000 a year over the next 15 years.

BRANTFORD-CAMBRIDGE EXPRESSWAY: Currently, 15,000 vehicles a day use the existing two-lane Highway 24 to go between the two cities.

NIAGARA-GTA CORRIDOR: 20,000 trucks travel the QEW through Stoney Creek on an average workday.

Extending highways

HIGHWAY 427

In the most advanced of the four studies, the Ministry of Transportation has selected a route for the seven-kilometre extension of Highway 427 from its current terminus at old Highway Seven north to Major Mackenzie Drive in Vaughan.

Preliminary design work on the road is under way, the final environmental assessment will be submitted to the province next fall and the Environment Ministry is expected to complete its consideration of the report in 2010.

The new road would not likely be completed until some time between 2013 and 2015.

The limited-access highway will provide a link to Canadian Pacific Railway's freight yard in Vaughan.The road also could be extended north in the future and could be linked with the proposed east-west GTA corridor.

NIAGARA GTA CORRIDOR

Plans to twin the Peace Bridge at Fort Erie and traffic already push the capacity of the Queen Elizabeth Way to its limit.

Consequently, the province is studying a transportation corridor across the Niagara Peninsula above the Niagara Escarpment that will link into the GTA highway system west of Hamilton.

Two studies, one of environmental factors and the other of transportation and socio-economic factors affecting the corridor, have been finished.

By the end of next year, the ministry hopes to have a final assessment of transportation needs in the corridor and to have prepared a recommended strategy to meet them. It will then study alternate routes for a new highway and pick one early in the next decade.

EAST-WEST GTA CORRIDOR

The environmental assessment of a transportation corridor from Vaughan to Guelph, north of Highway 401, is not as far advanced as the Niagara GTA project. Base studies of environmental conditions and transportation considerations are not expected until late this year.

But traffic congestion in the area is rising, both on Highway 401 and secondary roads such as Highway 7 between Guelph and Georgetown. Population and job growth along the corridor is projected at more than 80 per cent in the next 30 years.

With Mississauga and Oakville becoming built out, development pressure in the area west of Toronto is shifting from south of Highway 401 to the north, such as the northwest part of Brampton and the south end of Caledon.

An east-west highway could link the Guelph-Kitchener expressway the province is building to the northern extension of Highway 427 and Highway 400.

BRANTFORD-CAMBRIDGE

EXPRESSWAY

The ministry is preparing draft terms of reference for a study of a four-lane highway linking Highway 403 at Brantford with Highway 401 west of Cambridge.

Currently, 15,000 vehicles a day use the existing two-lane Highway 24 between the two cities, and a limited-access, north-south road would improve the linkage in the rapidly-growing four-city group of Brantford, Cambridge, Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph.

James Rusk

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080714.wroads14/BNStory/National/Ontario/

AoD

0714_roadgraphicbig.jpg

Ah, yes. Planning like it's 1965 like there's no tomorrow.

$20 says that in five years those highway extensions would be laughed out of the EA process in light of $3/l gasoline.

Southwestern Ontario is perfect for an extensive electrified rail network. If a frequent, reliable, and convenient rail system linked all the cities in the Kitchener-Hamilton-Toronto area it could take a lot of the growth pressure off the highways. And I'm not talking about twice daily VIA service.

What's needed is a complete reorganization of MTO. The last time I was involved in highway planning the only mention of rail as an alternative to road expansion was a short section in the study report explaining that rail wouldn't improve the level of service on the highway. The rail/transit alternative was then dismissed. That piecemeal kind of thinking has to stop - at the very least road and rail expansion should happen together, especially when a corridor links two cities. The corridors mentioned in the article are good examples.

MTO should to be a lot more integrated with GO Transit and Metrolinx to form a unified transportation decision-making process. What's needed is a provincial master plan for road and rail together similar to the Southern Ontario Highways Program. Nothing like that can happen the way things are done now.

Southwestern Ontario is perfect for an extensive electrified rail network. If a frequent, reliable, and convenient rail system linked all the cities in the Kitchener-Hamilton-Toronto area it could take a lot of the growth pressure off the highways. And I'm not talking about twice daily VIA service.

What's needed is a complete reorganization of MTO. The last time I was involved in highway planning the only mention of rail as an alternative to road expansion was a short section in the study report explaining that rail wouldn't improve the level of service on the highway. The rail/transit alternative was then dismissed. That piecemeal kind of thinking has to stop - at the very least road and rail expansion should happen together, especially when a corridor links two cities. The corridors mentioned in the article are good examples.

MTO should to be a lot more integrated with GO Transit and Metrolinx to form a unified transportation decision-making process. What's needed is a provincial master plan for road and rail together similar to the Southern Ontario Highways Program. Nothing like that can happen the way things are done now.

Does this really surprise you though? Whenever the Province or the City hires a transportation consultant, they first tell the consultants what the outcome of the study must be, and then pay them to "prove" that the idea really is the best option possible. In highway studies, rail is ruled out as viable alternative because the existing inadequate rail system is used for comparison - after all, it's not a rail study, so clearly it would be pointless to consider the effects that a European style rail network would have on the transportation system.

In a typical trip on VIA, the train will be restricted to not much more than 80 km/hr in many locations due to the poor condition of the tracks, you will have to wait for passing trains because the infrastructure is not geared toward the movement of passengers, and you will stop at literally every possible town along the way that has population greater than 10,000. Rail in Canada is woefully inadequate.

Personally I'm not against all of these new highways. I'm for the 427 extension and the highway linking Brantford and Cambridge, but they should look into rail for linking cities. I'm against the Niagara Escrapment highway though. The GTA West corridor I'm not too sure though.

GTA West corridor also goes through the Niagara Escarpment (maybe you meant Niagara GTA). from the municipal meetings minutes, it looks like Guelph has already put the GTA as a highway in their growth plan, while Caledon is concerned that other alternatives need to be looked at equally.

I'm currently questioning the need for building these highways. I understand that improved connections are needed, but what I don't understand is why current roads cannot be upgraded, with additional lanes to increase speed and bypasses built around already congested roads.

I know that there is much opposition to building the 424. Waterloo region relies on its aquifers for its water supply. The proposed routing of the 424 intersects with many areas of the Galt and Paris moraines. Also, by building highways, we increase the opportunity for sprawl into valuable farmland. It is my hope that before giving the go ahead to build roads that countryside lines are protected by expanding the greenbelt further into the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

I don't see any reason why money couldn't be spent on improving current rail infrastructure to lessen the need for highway commuting and to get more transport trucks off the 401. Sure, trucks will still be needed to link freight stations to businesses, and there will need to be adequate public transit services to receive people when they get off a train. But the way gas prices are going, it would make more sense to invest in this type of gas saving infrastructure.

Rails are more durable than asphalt and need no de-icing which deteriorates current road surfaces and pollutes ground water. Plus a single train can carry multiple trailers worth of goods faster transport truck (someone could probably give me a figure).

But you've all heard this before. :p

And for the record, I'm not entirely against highway construction either. For example, the Highway 7 bypass in Kitchener is long overdue, but it should only be built as far as Breslau, and reconnect to a widened, separated Hanlon-like parkway to Guelph along the current routing as opposed to full grade separation through wetlands.

Does this really surprise you though? Whenever the Province or the City hires a transportation consultant, they first tell the consultants what the outcome of the study must be, and then pay them to "prove" that the idea really is the best option possible. In highway studies, rail is ruled out as viable alternative because the existing inadequate rail system is used for comparison - after all, it's not a rail study, so clearly it would be pointless to consider the effects that a European style rail network would have on the transportation system.

In a typical trip on VIA, the train will be restricted to not much more than 80 km/hr in many locations due to the poor condition of the tracks, you will have to wait for passing trains because the infrastructure is not geared toward the movement of passengers, and you will stop at literally every possible town along the way that has population greater than 10,000. Rail in Canada is woefully inadequate.
To be fair to VIA, the mainline corridor routes are fairly fast, in the 160 km/h range. The tracks are in good shape and some trains are express. They do have to wait for freight trains too often though.

A highway like 8 between Hamilton and K-W should probably be 4 lanes, it does connect two cities totalling over a million people after all. But a rail line should be built in the same right of way as any new highway. Especially considering both cities are building light rail.

And for the record, I'm not entirely against highway construction either. For example, the Highway 7 bypass in Kitchener is long overdue, but it should only be built as far as Breslau, and reconnect to a widened, separated Hanlon-like parkway to Guelph along the current routing as opposed to full grade separation through wetlands.

If Highway 6 is properly upgraded, there should be less need for the 424. Highway 6 from Old Highway 97 to the 403 is a wide, busy, fairly high-speed road. The MTO is already working on turning the bottom bit into a freeway, with the current work and the planned Highway 5 parclo. From Highway 97 to the 401 and the Hanlon connection, work is needed here.

Highway 8 does need to be upgraded as well, but the 424 might be overkill, especially if Highway 6 is improved. I would like to see Highway 8 simply widened from Cambridge to the Highway 5/8/52 intersection, and the higher-capacity road use Highway 52 from there to the 403. In Cambridge, with some effort, some of the traffic could be distributed up to the 401 via Franklin.

I don't mind a Highway 7 upgrade either. Believe me, nearly everytime I'm on it, I regret it, like the time some old man in his 80s cuts infront of me, and goes 50 km/h, and you can't pass due to the steady traffic on the otherside. But going from a badly undercapacity two lane road to that plus a brand new freeway is a huge step. Plus we can expect that freeway to go beyond simply the Hanlon, we can almost expect it to be the start of the 413.

New rail infrastructure would obviously be good, both for passenger / commuter traffic and for better intermodal transportation (loading truck trailers on to flatbed rail cars).

But a lot of the need for new highways is driven by increased truck traffic, and there is only a certain amount of that which could be replaced by rail. The unfortunate fact is that we will continue to need more and more roads.

I'd like to see a priority on the highway up the Niagara Peninsula from Fort Erie to about Hamilton. It should obviously go "above" the Escarpment, as the article points out. The QEW won't be able to take a lot more traffic unless it is widened. It crosses some of our best agricultural land, below the Escarpment, where grapes, peaches, etc. grow. This land basically can't be replaced elsewhere in Ontario.

I'll take your bet.

$3/L will hurt, but not that much.

Fine.

Let's say that if by July 2013 the price of one litre of gasoline in Toronto is $3/l, AND if the prevailing sentiment of public policy is that building new expressways is a hard sell (as hard a sell as John Tory's attempt to sell tax-funded religious schools), then you give me $20 cash.

Otherwise I give you $20.

Deal or no deal?

$3 of gas isn't just going to make driving expensive, since it would ripple through the economy and drive inflation and harm purchasing power.

I think the impact is overstated... especially the people who predict the collapse of modern distribution systems.

Back