News   Jul 22, 2024
 600     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 633     0 

Globe: Mississauga enters new phase of city-building

The parking garage can always be placed underground if Novotel and the city were to put some money into it. Enfield would have to make a slight turn toward Novotel in order to avoid Widesuites, but it is entirely doable. It would give Novotel street frontage, and free up some land for development. Novotel could probably get a developer to help with the cost by offering building rights.

No this would be really pointless. Matthews Gate is literally right there, and there'd be no need to have an additional intersection about 60 ft away.

I walk through that area all of the time. Just an hour or so ago even. It would be absolutely ridiculous...

I think it would be nice to see mississauga develop. I think that it would be good to extend the green-line subway, to go to downtown mississauga or one stop further. :)

In fact I believe that hose were old plans some time ago, right?

I think it would be nice to see mississauga develop. I think that it would be good to extend the green-line subway, to go to downtown mississauga or one stop further. :)

In fact I believe that hose were old plans some time ago, right?

Mississauga does not want to pay a dime for a subway. They only want one if somebody else pays for it.

Paleo, that's a pretty inaccurate statement. I've never heard anyone in Miss. suggest that someone else should pay for a subway. Such a suggestion would obviously not be accepted anyway.

What Miss. wants is transit on a scale appropriate to its population patterns and built form. This will involve LRT on Hurontario, and probably on Dundas in the longer run, and the dedicated busway in the east-west direction roughly parallel to 403.

There are clear parallels here to Transit City in Toronto. Subways can't possibly be built everywhere and aren't justified everywhere. Light rail and / or dedicated busways would be the way to go.

I find this map to be interesting...

ph10.png

That map looks like a great idea, but I'll be surprised if it goes beyond the idea stage.

The extension to Dixie has been part of the TTC's RTES for a long time. And Dixie is hardly a logical termination point, if there's any expansion of the Bloor line, it can only go to MCC.

In fact, based on this question I did write an email to Carolyn Parrish (our mayor-in-waiting) to ask her if she would support a subway extension to MCC and if she would try to convince Mississauga/Peel to pay for part of it. Mississauga is certainly not lacking the funds. Looking at that map, it's not even a big extension: 2 new stops in Toronto (East Mall and Sherway) and 4 in Mississauga (Dixie, Cawthra, Cooksville, MCC).

Quibble: East Mall and Sherway would be in Toronto, not Mississauga (referring to map).

More substantively: Even assuming that most of this proposed line would be on the surface, along the existing CP line, I'd hardly say that it's "not even a big extension". It's a long run from Kipling to Miss. City Centre. New bridges would be required at several points. The part from Cooksville to MCC would presumably be underground, as the rail line passes well west of MCC. This would be a pretty expensive proposition.

And is Mississauga "not lacking the funds"? You might get an argument on that point as well. The glory days when Miss. paid for everything out of developers' lot levies are coming to an end.

Quibble: East Mall and Sherway would be in Toronto, not Mississauga (referring to map).

More substantively: Even assuming that most of this proposed line would be on the surface, along the existing CP line, I'd hardly say that it's "not even a big extension". It's a long run from Kipling to Miss. City Centre. New bridges would be required at several points. The part from Cooksville to MCC would presumably be underground, as the rail line passes well west of MCC. This would be a pretty expensive proposition.

And is Mississauga "not lacking the funds"? You might get an argument on that point as well. The glory days when Miss. paid for everything out of developers' lot levies are coming to an end.

By that I meant Mississauga has no debt. Mississauga can afford to take on the debt required to tunnel from Etobicoke Creek to MCC. I'm not assuming any surface portions. If the Spadina extension HAS to be underground, there's no way the MCC extension would ever be at grade.

And it isn't substantially longer than the Spadina extension. So yeah, it's not a big extension.

Last edited:

Back