News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.8K     2 

Globe: Lisa Rochon - High Time for a Monumental Rethink

A lot of this feels more like architecture buffs getting their turn on commenting on the global economic downturn, which by this point is getting rather tired. It is a journalism fad nowadays to give some low-brow rehash of the past decade or so which reads more like a summary of the film Wall Street then real journalism and then comment about how everything will be different and more muted in the future. It is trashy.

We are in a recession. Starchitect buildings aren't getting canceled because the "public's tolerance for outsize architectural statements that serve the rich and self-absorbed has already been pretty much exhausted." They are being canceled because, in case anyone hasn't noticed, there is no budget for overpriced condominiums in Manhattan anymore as bonuses are being trimmed and every financial firm is shedding staff. It has nothing to do with some great public revenge against the master-of-the-universe-bankers and everything to do with economics. The minute the economics change, these super buildings will be back with force.

"Green" architecture is a pretty vacuous term as well. I don't doubt that more buildings will try to reduce their energy costs in the future. What I do doubt is that this will go beyond economic considerations (how much money will it save over the lifetime of the building vs. how much will it cost upfront?). In so far as people go further than that level, it will nothing but the architectural showmanship we are supposedly never to see again. Only the super rich will value their image more than possible millions of dollars. They will specifically try to make a spectacle of their environmentalism.

Archivist: Well, Modernism was a rejection of historical styles - so they must at least be an "end of history" prequel to it ...

I see our colleague u2's ( apparently ) derogatory reference to the scads of contemporary Toronto buildings that look as if they were built in "1958" as a badge of honour for them to wear. Similar values of practicality and legibility inform them both. What strikes me about the various attempts to "bury" Modernism ( PoMo drawing on the past and drifting from quirky irony to deadeningly-dull faux in a few short years; ego-based Starchitecture used for high end cultural buildings and condos in an age of celebrity culture wallowing in easy credit ) is how divorced they are from the sort of cultural roots that formed Modernism as a movement encompassing all the arts. It's difficult to see how starchitecture or historic irony could have been used as a basis to rebuild europe after WW2 for instance - hence my comment earlier about the workhorse nature of Modernism.

Whoaccio:

"Green" architecture is a pretty vacuous term as well. I don't doubt that more buildings will try to reduce their energy costs in the future. What I do doubt is that this will go beyond economic considerations (how much money will it save over the lifetime of the building vs. how much will it cost upfront?). In so far as people go further than that level, it will nothing but the architectural showmanship we are supposedly never to see again. Only the super rich will value their image more than possible millions of dollars. They will specifically try to make a spectacle of their environmentalism.

That's a rather superficial reading of what "green" architecture is, seen through the stararchitecture lens. It doesn't equate only to buildings with the latest and greatest technical innovations at the highest possible cost - but also to buildings built with subtle, low cost changes that enables superior performance. Given 99.9% of buildings are of the latter category, that's where the focus should be.

AoD

That's a rather superficial reading of what "green" architecture is, seen through the stararchitecture lens. It doesn't equate only to buildings with the latest and greatest technical innovations at the highest possible cost - but also to buildings built with subtle, low cost changes that enables superior performance. Given 99.9% of buildings are of the latter category, that's where the focus should be.

That was sort of my point. Buildings can be much more energy efficient, but it isn't a sexy process and it stops the moment the up front investment is more than estimated savings. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody will be remarking in a decade about how wonderful a random suburb development is in Surrey because it has great insulation and a clever ventilation system. That is the "99.9% of buildings... where the focus should be." Certainly nobody will be getting a Pritzker for designing a townhouse that uses ambient lighting in the most efficient manner.

More likely, the same people who today produce buildigns geared to the "super-rich" and "individual greed" will be making the same exact buildings, but with a fig leaf of environmentalism. Take the Bank of America Tower in NYC. It is every bit as loud, exclusive and lacking in "social conscious" as any other skyscraper under construction, but because it uses grey water to flush toilets it is somehow excluded from the "vulgarity" of other buildings.

Whoaccio:

But if they are going to build like that, they might as well get the best and the greenest for the price they're paying. Better that than what, the most expensive building in the world built of out non-renewable hardwood. Or on that matter, Burj Dubai?

AoD

Last edited:
But if they are going to build like that, they might as well get the best and the greenest for the price they're paying. Better that than what, the most expensive building in the world built of out non-renewable hardwood. Or on that matter, Burj Dubai?

If people want to build green buildings, all the power to them. I just don't like this logic that what was once obscene, elitist and greedy is suddenly okay so long as it is greenwashed with low flow toilets. Conspicuous consumption is conspicuous consumption.

Archivist:

No doubt there will be other styles (recycled or completely new ones) in the future - what surprised me was that Modernism is still around even after three-quarters of a century. Perhaps it's more accurate to refer to it as a philosophy than an actual building style. Somehow, we didn't seem to outgrow the values the style implies (e.g. minimalism, simplicity, etc.) - in fact, the drive to attain those values seem to be just as strong as before (think Apple industrial design as an example).

Agreed, and those values have always existed, as expressed in classicism, Georgian and colonial or even some forms of Deco. In addition to a minimalist aesthetic 'Modernism' is about the new materials and technology of a new era and the fact that it was one of the first 'styles' to be mass-produced, mass-marketed, affordable and attainable for all.

I don't necessarily see this as a 'rejection' of previous more ornate styles but simply an issue of pragmatism in that only the very wealthy could afford that sort of spectacle, and even in the modern era, when it is decided to build symbolically for the collectivity in our civic spaces we very often do still aspire to and choose the more ornate, the more lavish and the more 'spectacular', and nor is this necessarily a rejection of modern values.

You forgot one Tewder. It's the Jack Diamond in a box HQ. Actually, constrained budgets shouldn't be used as an excuse for bad design. I think it was Alfred Hitchcock who insisted on bringing his movies in on or under budget. He felt that doing so forced ingenuity. I tend to agree.

Attachments

• jackinbox.jpg
    jackinbox.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
John Bentley Mays disagrees

JBM's column today is on the same topic, but not surprisingly, he takes a different approach.
----------------------
A new puritanism
Revisionist breast-beating laments design excesses of years past, but good things came of the boom

JOHN BENTLEY MAYS
Globe and Mail, March 26, 2009

Is there a silver lining for architecture in the dark economic clouds hovering over us?

Despite the downsizing and layoffs sweeping the worlds of design and construction, despite projects being put on hold indefinitely or cancelled outright, some influential voices in the realm of architecture are saying yes.

I don't agree with them for a minute.

But for the sake of argument, listen to what Zvi Hecker has to say. Mr. Hecker, a respected Israeli architect with offices in Tel Aviv and Berlin, takes up the banner of the bring-on-the-crisis camp in the current (and, as things have turned out, last) issue of London-based Blueprint magazine.

"The continuous unfolding of the global economic crisis … will inevitably create radical shifts in our aesthetic sensibility," he writes. "Taken unguarded by the collapse of the world stock markets and the demise of financial institutions, we should not be surprised by the deepening of the moral-ethical breakdown that generated this economic crisis in the first place. This breakdown, caused by the decline of personal responsibility and institutionalized social inequality, could be more destructive than a military force."

The slump, then, can be seen as a positive development, a moral wake-up call after a long, money-drugged sleep.

"For more than a decade, architecture sucked in cheap and abstract money that has been channelled to fuel an excess of building construction, resulting in the infamous subprime mortgage meltdown. Abstract projects solidified into architectural form and, sponsored by oil and stock market wealth, were 'grounded' in the most socially unjust locations and environmentally wasteful ways … The more obscure and environmentally irresponsible were the financial investments, the more excessive became the architectural form. … Unconcerned with ethics, architecture preferred to glorify the zeal and the leverage of financial wizardry. Draped in layers of ornate garments, glamorous and ornamental, it carefully disguised its narcissism."

That "narcissism" was at the core of the "widespread decadence" Mr. Hecker sees pervading the architectural scene over the past decade. Whatever hardship it brings, he argues, the present economic travail offers an opportunity for architects to stop, repent, rethink their moral and ethical priorities, and get ready to provide more chastened, humane leadership when the economy is righted.

Of course, there is much to enjoy in Mr. Hecker's biblical thunderings at the architecture of the boom years. Some of it was flash and trash. But much of it wasn't, and some of it — I am thinking of the best work by Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid, Daniel Libeskind, Thom Mayne, Norman Foster, Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron — injected remarkable vitality into the world's cities and encouraged emerging architects to imagine forms and design strategies never before dreamed of. Nor was ethics so thoroughly abandoned in architectural circles as Mr. Hecker supposes. His critique is well-meaning, but finally reckless.

A very different — but no less spirited — assessment of architecture's present circumstances is offered in the same issue of Blueprint by Kevin McCullagh, a London-based consultant.

"With echoes of the early nineties," Mr. McCullagh writes, "designers are again beating themselves up over their supposed excess. Back then, they regretted the superficiality of eighties' postmodernism and the matte black and chrome-trimmed yuppie lifestyle." Today, "outlandish architecture" and "empty extravagance" are the causes of lamentation.

Nothing good will come of this breast-beating.

"Recessions are marked by bankruptcies, mass unemployment, house repossessions and general misery, not by moral renewal. A mean-spirited puritanism lies behind those beckoning recession. … Anti-growth is a deep-seated sentiment. Here, economic growth is held to be destructive, wasteful and 'unsustainable.' … Cutting back, it's felt, would clear the mind. … Then there are the 'less is more' aesthetes, who reject the visual experimentation of the past few years as 'fluff' and tasteless excess."

Today's puritans — he likely has Mr. Hecker in mind — even believe that hard times somehow create good architecture. But the avant-garde European architects who transfigured the international landscape after the Second World War kept their modernist flame alive despite depression and war, not because of these dire events.

Anyway, "why should fewer buildings necessarily be better buildings?" he continues. "Quality is far more dependent on ideas, ambition and funding — all of which look like being in short supply. A cursory glance around our urban landscapes can surely only lead to the demand for better and more architecture."

Ideas, ambition and funding: These, surely, are the necessary ingredients of any architecture that matters. I disagree with Mr. McCullagh on one point — that ideas and ambition are in "short supply" these days — though he is right, of course, about funding. And without investment by the private and public sectors, the great creative experiment we've witnessed over the past dozen years in architecture cannot go on. That's why I can't see a silver lining anywhere in the stormy skies over our heads.

-----------------

I agree that modernism has been a resilient style, and that a minimalist aesthetic has an endless appeal. But there is always a pendulum swing between the decorative and the minimalist, and I doubt that pendulum has stopped. The only constant is change. I don't see a strong or sudden break with modernism occurring, but a gradual evolution of forms until we discover that we've adopted some kind of paradigm that is not modernism, perhaps with terminology applied to it retroactively (as so often happens) of which we may be entirely unaware. I certainly think that projects like 60 Richmond or Integral House are not modernism, though exactly what they are, is hard to say at this point. Though some have clear definitions in their heads about big-hair this vs. modernist that, I think there is a continuum that makes everything messier and more interesting that dichotomies will allow.

Don't get me wrong - I love modernist buildings and spend lots of energy on my bike just to see them in the right light. I just don't see things sitting still very long, and depending on how large our current state of disequilibrium becomes, I wonder what it will bring.

As for the JBM piece, he makes some good points. We may laugh now at some aspects of 80's architecture that seem overblown (but, believe me, that will pass, and we will come to admire the same things later, just as sixties flourishes passed from style and then were elevated and adored), but the 90's were a really difficult time for buildings in Toronto. Not many got built, and design standards fell quite low. When I look at things like the Penrose and the Conservatory tower, for instance, I greatly fear the return of projects like that, and I think JBM makes a valid point about not crowing too much about asceticism when what we might end up with is really just cheap and vile.

Just curious, where would the AGO fit in all of this? Is it a big-hair project, or modernist, or what, in your opinions. To me, it has elements of everything, and I can't really decide.

The notion of 'excess architecture' in 'excess times' seems a bit redundent to me. Innovation and growth in design/architecture always happens in periods of prosperity.

The notion of 'excess architecture' in 'excess times' seems a bit redundent to me. Innovation and growth in design/architecture always happens in periods of prosperity.

Agreed, and for the truly iconic, revolutionary and fabulous - it requires hubris.

Torontonians and Canadians have never suffered this affliction and globally we are moving further and further away.

Well, we did - to many ROM is considered to be our case study of hubris and egomania - which it maybe, but at least we are not building an entire city out of that attitude. Unlike Beijing or Dubai, where everything seem to be afflicted by that cyber/bug fantasy - to the point where it's actually very difficult to judge whether any of the projects are aesthetically pleasing.

AoD

Archivist: I agree that Gehry's AGO is kinda schizo. It is chock full o' boxy, white-walled Modernist galleries and retains lots of the concrete Parkin interior. Only Galleria Italia ( a beautiful but inward-looking space where the wood beams are more of an attraction than the city that they block from view ) seems to fit the bill of what we "expected" from the starchitect. Compare it to the Modernist City Room with its uninterrupted panoramic views on three sides - design in the service of connecting people to the world outside. Tellingly, Diamond positions his big effect ( the great, gently convex four storey slatted wooden screen ) rather modestly away from the windows.

added later: That's what I meant by Modernism as the default model ( I agree with Alvin that it's more than "just another style" - rather, a philosophy ... maybe even a way of life ... ). Not a default model in the "end of history" way that you've referred to on a couple of occasions, where all previous modes of architectural expression are diminished, but as the sensible, workhorse, legible, fall-back default model that hasn't been trumped by any of the ism's that were supposed to "bury" it: the rectilinear galleries in Gehry's AGO, say, or the boxy and practical classrooms in the Sharp Centre being examples of this durability.

I agree about the pendulum swings. I think that's been going on forever: 12th century Cistercian monasteries ( Corbusier went all drooly over Le Thoronet, as does John Pawson ), or Amarna art of the 18th Dynasty ... and cave-man-painting-stuff before that too, I expect.

http://www.johnpawson.com/architecture/monastery

Last edited:
Yes, capturing the essence ( in this case the spirit ) of the 12th century in a thoroughly contemporary way without resorting to faux copyism.

Back