News   Sep 26, 2024
 400     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 953     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 622     0 

Globe and Mail: Ontario green lights transit signal program

Hell, seeing as our streetcar right of ways have no priority over through traffic, why have special signals for them anyways?

Even though streetcars don't have priority over cars, they are located in a different spot in the intersection, so separate signals are needed.
For example, if traffic has an advance left signal and a straight ahead green, streetcars cannot proceed because left-turning cars cross their path.

Even though streetcars don't have priority over cars, they are located in a different spot in the intersection, so separate signals are needed.
For example, if traffic has an advance left signal and a straight ahead green, streetcars cannot proceed because left-turning cars cross their path.

I think Electrify was making a joke.

But seriously, back to my original point, why do we need externally viewable transit signals? If transit has priority then it will be signaled to the operator inside their vehicle. On the street, anything that would cross transit's path whether it be parallel left-turn lanes, perpendicular roadways or perpendicular pedestrian paths, they would be signaled red. By not having an external transit signal, there is no danger of a driver seeing this signal and wrongly thinking it is intended for them. If people don't think this is safe, then they're basically saying a driver's thoughts are, "I'd normally ignore this red light, but because there is a green transit signal, I'll decide to obey it this time."

Last edited:
It's much easier and cheaper to have external signals than setting up a wireless system for internal signals.

The only systems that bother with in-cab signalling are those with moving block systems or high speed rail. Some ATP and ATC systems include in-cab signaling.

The new signaling system on the Yonge line will presumably utilize in-cab signalling (and the trains will drive themselves).

Last edited:
I would think the wireless system would be more economical. No lights, less wiring, no distant sensor loops, less maintenance. A wireless system is needed to sense approaching emergency vehicles anyway so why not dual-purpose it. A two-way communication could make for a much smarter system too, so a vehicle could say if it was in-service and if passengers on the vehicle or on the street are requesting a stop.

Last edited:

Back