News   May 02, 2024
 823     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 421     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 327     0 

Global Village Backpackers Redevelopment (460 King W, Allied REIT, 3s, Gensler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Allied has so much stuff on the go, I'm not expecting anything big soon. Who knows, there might be an interim use for this building before we hear about something big.

ARfUKrf.jpg

Sorry if there is a thread (looked but failed), but does anyone know what they are doing on the building a bit north on Spadina - I believe it is 96 Spadina (the one with Senses coffee). They seem to be doing some kind of pretty extensive exterior work. Thanks

Brick looks nice at least, somewhat makes the sadness over Toronto losing more character less of a sting.
Not sure the Backpacker Hostel did anything to give Toronto character. It looked run down and the building looked like a dump and painting a historic building blue is really not the way to build up 'character'. The (original) bricks look great!

Not sure the Backpacker Hostel did anything to give Toronto character. It looked run down and the building looked like a dump and painting a historic building blue is really not the way to build up 'character'. The (original) bricks look great!
Global Village Backpackers was an excellent source of young white people with dreadlocks. But, that may not be the sort of character you really want.

As Allied has so much stuff on the go, I'm not expecting anything big soon. Who knows, there might be an interim use for this building before we hear about something big.

Allied is renovating the building for a restaurant/retail/coffee shop on ground floor and offices in the rest. It is a permanent long term solution. New construction will wrap around it in maybe 7-8 years.

Global Village Backpackers was an excellent source of young white people with dreadlocks. But, that may not be the sort of character you really want.

When I first came to Toronto I stayed there - as did lots of students. Young people aren't all terrible... I can see why the hostel had to go eventually though - even then, interior maintenance was light. These things have a way of being self-limiting in lifespan given the lack of budgets to maintain or develop the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back