News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 832     0 

Gerrard India Bazaar

Which indeed, is how House Of Chan, esp., has evolved--into a nominally "Chinese" restaurant that actually specializes in steaks.
Well, that's my point. It's a steak house now, and not really a Chinese restaurant.

But as the name indicates, it *started out* Chinese--and along w/China House across the way, forms part of this culinary subtext, given neighbourhood demos...
Ginsberg and Wong closed something like 15 years ago IIRC, for example. My Jewish co-workers said they stopped going to that restaurant eons before it closed. The restaurant was frequented by their older relatives, but the young'uns went to the much better Chinatown restaurants down the street.

Ironically, I went to a Jewish diner downtown and it was run by Chinese. Unfortunately, the bagels there sucked. Mind you the Israelis I know consider bagels in general as North Americanized food, but nonetheless there are good bagels and bad ones, and unfortunately there are lots of bad bagels in Toronto. The Bagel House on Bayview is pretty good though.

The trouble with Ginsberg & Wong is that it was more of a food-emporium-era gimmick (cf. Mr Greenjeans, The Organ Grinder, etc) that wore out fast; so I don't *quite* count that...

Sometimes I have a craving for real Chinese food, and sometimes I have a craving for North American Chinese food. Chop Suey, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Chicken Gai Ding, Egg Foo Young, and Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls. Mmmmm!

And frankly, the holier-than-thou attitude certain "immigrant class" types have t/w "North Americanized" cuisine is as idiotic as it would be for us to waltz into their homelands and gripe about that which doesn't meet so-called North American culinary standards. Or it would be like their sneering at our overreaction to the Yonge + Gould fire because they have stuff that's much more age-venerated and "historical", bla bla bla...

And frankly, the holier-than-thou attitude certain "immigrant class" types have t/w "North Americanized" cuisine is as idiotic as it would be for us to waltz into their homelands and gripe about that which doesn't meet so-called North American culinary standards.
If you think it's just the "immigrant class", you're sadly mistaken. That argument doesn't even make sense, since these threads are filled with people talking about food from all sorts of cultures, not just a single type of food per poster. Are you suggesting these posters came here from 8 different countries? BTW, I myself was born, raised, and educated in Canada.

Some prefer to live in the past, when bad food was all that was available. Luckily, in Toronto we now have lots of very good options. It's just that certain parts of the GTA are still stuck in the past and don't have as many options available. As for the Gerrard Indiatown, unfortunately it's still stuck to a large extent in the 1980s and 90s. They haven't evolved much, so customers have gone elsewhere.

P.S. A good steak in Canada is also a good steak in Europe. If it's a bad steak, then it's a bad steak in both areas. Oh and some of the best steaks actually come from Japan (but they cost too damn much).

Last edited:
On the latest City of Toronto agenda for the Economic Development Committee is proposal to expand (pretty much double) the size of the BIA for this area.

The report is quite good at outlining the rationale for extending the boundaries to Coxwell in the east, and a variable boundary about 2 blocks further west than the current limit.

It still has to go through the usual polling process and be supported by area businesses and property owners (or more accurately, not opposed) .....

But I think it will be a much needed shot-in-the-arm if this goes through.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.ED2.12

As bad as that Indiatown stretch is looking at times, I was at the Gerrard Chinatown the other day and it's looking much worse. Lots of shops closing.

As bad as that Indiatown stretch is looking at times, I was at the Gerrard Chinatown the other day and it's looking much worse. Lots of shops closing.

I take it the arch didn't help much :)

This isn't new, it's been like this for the last 2/3 years at the very least as I noticed the same thing 2 summers ago.

I take it the arch didn't help much :)

This isn't new, it's been like this for the last 2/3 years at the very least as I noticed the same thing 2 summers ago.
I know what you mean, but it seems even worse this year than last year.

The BIA expansion is set to be approved, via a report headed to the Sept. 14 meeting of the Economic Development Committee

Any current opinions about the restaurants on the strip? It's hard to find a consensus on-line and the reviews are often several years old. There does seem to be a consensus that Moti Mahal is good but Lahore Tikka House has sharply declined in quality over the past few years.
Any opinions on these or other places?

I have a craving for Aloo Gobhi and am in the area a lot these days.

Any current opinions about the restaurants on the strip? It's hard to find a consensus on-line and the reviews are often several years old. There does seem to be a consensus that Moti Mahal is good but Lahore Tikka House has sharply declined in quality over the past few years.
Any opinions on these or other places?

I have a craving for Aloo Gobhi and am in the area a lot these days.

If they have it for buffet, Aloo Gobhi is good at Haandi. Other items are equally good. It is a buffet for both lunch and Dinner. If it is not part of buffet, then, ask for it A la carte. Dish will be expensive -- around $ 9.00

Other place to go for is Dwarika. If they have Aloo Gobhi as part of the buffet, try it. And if you would like it to be spiced it up a bit,then, ask the chef/owner to 'jazz' up a small amount for you.

Place adjacent to Dwarika is also good. Like Dwarika, not much spicy and oily.

Last week, I had tried these 3 restaurants.

Moti Mahal is not my favourite -- too much oil and heavy on spices.

Back