News   Mar 28, 2024
 494     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

General railway discussions

^ Date line "Toronto, Australia" ??? 🤣

You know, I read the entire article and overlooked that rather glaring geographic error.......

At least, I'll assume the writer wasn't in Toronto, Australia (there is one)

Last edited:

I'm much happier with CP purchasing KCS as IMHO, it will help level out the playing field a bit. Currently CN is the only railway with access to ports on the Pacific, Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico (and CN and CP are the only railways with access to both the Pacific and the Atlantic). Having CP purchase the KCS gives them access to ports on all three bodies of water as well.

Fallout from the CN/CP fight for KCS

TCI launches proxy battle with CN

All avoidable.

Like TCI, I fail to understand what CN was thinking.........other than trying to force the price up for CP (I assume, but don't know that was it)

I'm not one to obsess over precision railroading, or the need for a senior management obsessed by growth at all costs/efficiency damn the consequences.
As an investor, I prefer sustainable growth, and a long time horizon.......

That said, I would object if I saw a lot of effort and $$ go into a losing battle. Even more so, if winning that battle would have resulted in unsustainable debt levels.

Reminds me of the takeover of Safeway Canada........where, in my opinion, Sobeys grossly overpaid the asset, in what I would describe as.....ummm....... a measuring contest.......

The other bidder walked away when they saw the price get too rich.

In that case, Sobeys won...........................except for losing gobs of money, taking on huge debts and the CEO who led the purchase losing his job.

Since the railway construction boom of the 19th century, have any new rail corridors been built since then?
There's the chunk of the Kingston subdivision they had to move in the 1950s when they flooded the St. Lawrence Valley constructing the seaway.

^Plenty of resource lines in
Since the railway construction boom of the 19th century, have any new rail corridors been built since then?

^Pelletier cutoff in Quebec, plenty of resource lines in northern Quebec, Alberta, and BC, and the connection between Canadian Northern and GTP main lines in northwest Ontario. Relocation of the CN Kingston line to accommodate the St Lawrence Seaway. Relocation of railway lines near Welland On for the tunnel under the Canal. Relocation of CP Galt Sub east of Woodstock.

Depending on how back you wish to go, the CP Belleville Sub was fairly recent, as was the mostly shortlived Canadian Northern line to Smiths Falls.

- Paul

Back