News   Apr 24, 2024
 194     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 424     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 461     0 

General railway discussions

Interesting, though there is no mention of how they will be producing the Hydrogen gas. Hopefully it won’t be by steam reforming Natural Gas, as not only is it carbon intensive, but Germany will be short on Natural Gas for the forceable future. Electrolysis can be greener, but it’s very inefficient, requiring far more electricity to produce the hydrogen gas than the fuel cell will produce, and Europe will need all the electricity it can get this winter as an alternative to natural gas for heating. Not that diesel is all that great an option either, but in the short term it might be the easiest to import (we are still trying to figure out the best way to transport hydrogen gas in bulk)
There is more information in this article. They do say “On-site hydrogen production using wind power for electrolysis is planned for the future” but no mention of how it will initially be produced (so most likely steam reforming).

There is more information in this article. They do say “On-site hydrogen production using wind power for electrolysis is planned for the future” but no mention of how it will initially be produced (so most likely steam reforming).

There are no natural gas pipelines on Newfoundland. So if they were intending to use it as a source, it would need to be delivered by ship.

While the article describes the implementation as the first "Regular Commercial Operation" it is really a pilot, albeit a promising one.

Whatever the current supply is, really doesn't matter in the short term. I'm sure high capacity Hydrogen production will follow once the service proves itself and the issues about how and where to produce will flow from that,

For the next while, the fun part to watch will be how reliable these trains prove to be - and how scalable their power units are to other applications (these are fairly small trainsets).

- Paul

There are no natural gas pipelines on Newfoundland. So if they were intending to use it as a source, it would need to be delivered by ship.

Not sure how Natural Gas pipelines in NL helps with H2 production in Germany in the short term. In the long run we need to move away from grey H2, but the economics of either blue or green H2 aren’t competitive yet. Only time will tell which one works out. Either way we need the cost of carbon to increase significantly. Having Canada blow its carbon budget on grey H2 so that Germany can look green doesn’t make sense.

While the article describes the implementation as the first "Regular Commercial Operation" it is really a pilot, albeit a promising one.

Whatever the current supply is, really doesn't matter in the short term. I'm sure high capacity Hydrogen production will follow once the service proves itself and the issues about how and where to produce will flow from that,

For the next while, the fun part to watch will be how reliable these trains prove to be - and how scalable their power units are to other applications (these are fairly small trainsets).

- Paul

True. My concern is that Germany gets about half of its natural gas from Russia, If that tap turns off this winter, they are going to be in a lot of pain, and using some of it to make H2 for trains will only make things worse. Even if the amount needed is small, the optics of people not being able to heat their homes while trains are effectively converting to Natural gas using an inefficient process isn’t good.

Not sure how Natural Gas pipelines in NL helps with H2 production in Germany in the short term. In the long run we need to move away from grey H2, but the economics of either blue or green H2 aren’t competitive yet. Only time will tell which one works out. Either way we need the cost of carbon to increase significantly. Having Canada blow its carbon budget on grey H2 so that Germany can look green doesn’t make sense.

Sorry, it doesn't help with Germany in the short-term.

The Canada/Germany deal is for a wind plant located in Newfoundland. I was only intending to point out that this deal is unlikely to be natural gas based, if built, because there is no convenient source of natural gas nearby to the selected location.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something. I thought the proposal was to use windpower to crack hydrogen from seawater then compress it and ship it to Europe. No natural gas or pipelines needed.

Maybe I'm missing something. I thought the proposal was to use windpower to crack hydrogen from seawater then compress it and ship it to Europe. No natural gas or pipelines needed.

And I read somewhere that ammonia was what was to be produced and shipped, because while hazardous it’s easier to transport safely, and can be broken down easily into hydrogen at the destination.

- Pul

Why couldn't they get funding to keep the Orangeville Brampton railway running? Seems more like politics rather than economics if you ask me.
My understanding is that the main pressure for abandoning severely underused or disused ROWs is indeed economic, since you have to pay property taxes for every meter of track you own, regardless of how often (if at all!) it is used. Ripping out the tracks can save you a lot money…

My understanding is that the main pressure for abandoning severely underused or disused ROWs is indeed economic, since you have to pay property taxes for every meter of track, regardless of how often (if at all!) it is used…
Maybe track improvements or capital investment would have attracted more companies to use it. I just feel like the city didn't want to deal with it and got rid of it as fast as possible.

Back