News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 453     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Yes, I've ridden in 75 km winds.

It's a pilot. Cargo bikes are used around the world. I'm sure Toronto will figure it out.

Last edited:
Someone's not thought this through.
Complete fail!

This is getting off topic from the thread topic, but actually this is ingenious. Perhaps the #1 infraction committed by delivery trucks from all companies is parking in live lanes. I once saw a UPS truck parking smack dab in the middle of Richmond Street just east of Spadina. I approached him to ask “this is a busy road; has it become your personal parking spot?” He replied by cursing at me and then said there’s no where else to park (which is total BS as I pointed to an alley way right across the road).

But I digress. If these delivery-cycles can bypass the sense of entitlement by delivery driver that they can park anywhere on the street they want, then there will be some non-trivial progress to alleviating traffic congestion. Instead they can simply leave their cycle on the sidewalk led that always have excess capacity.

Instead they can simply leave their cycle on the sidewalk
Can they? How are they going to get that up the curb? And safely back down again into a cycle lane? And what you espouse means blocking the sidewalk instead of the cycling lane. So do they then park in the vehicle lanes?

I can see the classic 'Dutch' or 'Danish' cargo-bike working, because sight-lines are unhindered, wind buffeting is minimal, and you can *pull them* up a curb in reverse, since the weight is on the front. And not only that they take much less width, so they can work in most (not all) cycling lanes.

Late Edit: Here's an example that would work:

Update, June 2014

Thanks to the German forum pedelecforum.de member “Rocket” for this link. UPS just released a public relation pic showing one of their employees using a Riese & Muller “Bakfiets” Long John-style cargobike that is using the higher-powered version of the Bosch mid drive.

A UPS employee using a Bakfiets cargobike from Riese & Muller.

https://www.electricbike.com/ups-using-e-trikes-for-delivery-in-germany/

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the usual "will not work in winter" complaints.

4b091c09a40b3e8b2577b70d67740f29--cargo-bike-bicycle.jpg

C16UlBCUAAALIfq.jpg

Like the regular delivery trucks and vans handle snow much better.
121812gb_blizzard_46.jpg

Can they? How are they going to get that up the curb? And safely back down again into a cycle lane? And what you espouse means blocking the sidewalk instead of the cycling lane. So do they then park in the vehicle lanes?

I can see the classic 'Dutch' or 'Danish' cargo-bike working, because sight-lines are unhindered, wind buffeting is minimal, and you can *pull them* up a curb in reverse, since the weight is on the front. And not only that they take much less width, so they can work in most (not all) cycling lanes.

Late Edit: Here's an example that would work:

Update, June 2014

Thanks to the German forum pedelecforum.de member “Rocket” for this link. UPS just released a public relation pic showing one of their employees using a Riese & Muller “Bakfiets” Long John-style cargobike that is using the higher-powered version of the Bosch mid drive.

A UPS employee using a Bakfiets cargobike from Riese & Muller.

https://www.electricbike.com/ups-using-e-trikes-for-delivery-in-germany/

Nobody every said the particular design presented in the original piece is exactly the design that should be put into practice. If there is a better design, such as the one in your photo, that’s fine.

The point of my post was that the delivery cycle idea is actually a good one that can help the vehicular congestion problem.

Nobody every said the particular design presented in the original piece is exactly the design that should be put into practice. If there is a better design, such as the one in your photo, that’s fine.

The point of my post was that the delivery cycle idea is actually a good one that can help the vehicular congestion problem.
And John Tory isn't going to be pedalling them either? Had me fooled for a moment there.

City cyclists don’t need to be intimidated by these rather large bikes. The three-wheelers will not be allowed in the bike lanes.

“The experiment will take place on the roads and it will be treated in that manner,” Tory explained.

“It will not be something that will be in the bike lane, nor are they contemplated to be in the bike lanes going forward.”
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/10/23/ups-canada-launching-bike-courier-project-toronto/

This is intriguing:
[UPS said it also hopes to work with the Ontario government to amend the province’s Highway Traffic Act to allow the company to deploy cargo e-bikes.]
https://globalnews.ca/news/3819301/ups-to-launch-delivery-bicycle-pilot-project-in-toronto/

Well here's an idea: The City of Toronto ask the Province to to amend the HTA to cover cycling infrastructure.

How's that for a PR Op Mr Tory?

Last edited:
Quick update on my situation:

I reported the accident today at a collision centre. At the time, the driver had yet to file a report. I had the drivers license info and vehicle make and colour. Went quite smoothly. (Minus the officer ranting about how cyclists should be licensed and insured - despite me having a license and insurance - which I pulled out to make a point and called him out on the comment)

I also called my insurance company to verify that nothing would be put against my policy and they confirmed that I had nothing to worry about.

Then I got a call from the driver threatening legal action if I didn’t pay up for the damage. I have contacted a lawyer and he’s offered to take the case pro-bono if the driver tries to pursue it. He will recoup costs from her.

Shout out to CycleTO for the advice on what to do, and the lawyer referral. Such a great service.

Excellent! Many wouldn't pursue this course. Credit to you for doing so. Keep it uppermost in your mind that you did absolutely nothing wrong. The driver appears guilty of at least one offence:
Acquiring right of way
(2) Every driver or street car operator approaching, on another highway, an intersection referred to in subsection (1), shall yield the right of way to every driver or operator who has complied with the requirements of subsection (1). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 136 (2).

Turning at intersections
141 (1) In this section,

“centre line” means,

(a) in the case of a highway on which traffic is permitted to move in opposing directions, the marked line or median that divides traffic moving in opposing directions on the highway or, where there is no marked line or median, the centre of the roadway, and

(b) in the case of a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic, the left curb or edge of the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (1).

Right turn at intersection
(2) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the right into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the right-hand lane or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway and he or she shall make the right turn by entering the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway being entered. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (2).

Right turn, where multiple lanes
(3) Despite subsection (2), where more than one lane of a highway has been designated as a right-turn lane, the driver or operator of a vehicle intending to turn to the right into an intersecting highway shall approach the intersection in one of the lanes and leave the intersection in the lane of the intersecting highway that corresponds to the lane from which the turn was commenced. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (3).
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK228

Shout out to CycleTO for the advice on what to do, and the lawyer referral. Such a great service.
Do you have more detail on this? There's definitely an offence on the part of the driver on one charge, and full liability may not apply on the "failing to acquire"...part of that liability might rest with the City for non-compliance with the HTA. I'm very interested to see if Cycle Toronto is interested in using this as a test-case. It certainly should, a lot of the painted infrastructure puts cyclists at great risk.

Late Addendum: Just reading the Cycle Toronto website to see what I can find, and this jumped off the page:

Submitted by jaredkolb on Sat, 06/24/2017 - 09:41
_MG_6172.JPG

https://www.cycleto.ca/news/press-release-toronto-picks-road-safety-over-speed-new-poll-finds

One of many cases where the painted lanes are non-compliant to what the HTA requires for vehicle right hand turns. At least this one has the corner radiused, but it still renders right turns by motorized vehicles as being illegal since they can't "acquire the lane nearest the curb" before turning.

Last edited:
Ben Spurr actually got confirmation from the city that these won't be allowed in bike lanes.
I quoted Tory himself:
City cyclists don’t need to be intimidated by these rather large bikes. The three-wheelers will not be allowed in the bike lanes.

“The experiment will take place on the roads and it will be treated in that manner,” Tory explained.

“It will not be something that will be in the bike lane, nor are they contemplated to be in the bike lanes going forward.”
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/10/23/ups-canada-launching-bike-courier-project-toronto/

It still leaves as many questions unanswered as answered. The vehicles need approval by the Province, and a change to the HTA. UPS have claimed to be applying for this, thus my comment prior on (gist) "Why doesn't the City apply for changes to the HTA to protect cyclists?". In the event, since further delving on that point, the association of municipalities have pushed for a number of changes, but there's still a long way to go. That's a subject for further discussion later.

That's great to hear they helped you out on this one!

BTW, shamless plug shout-out to also @CycleHamilton too: The Bay cycle track (first north-south cycle track) just opened in downtown Hamilton and our Dutch-born mayor was there to cut the red ribbon in the opening ceremony. This was partially funded by ONGov and partially city funds.

I reported the accident today at a collision centre. At the time, the driver had yet to file a report. I had the drivers license info and vehicle make and colour. Went quite smoothly. (Minus the officer ranting about how cyclists should be licensed and insured - despite me having a license and insurance - which I pulled out to make a point and called him out on the comment)

I also called my insurance company to verify that nothing would be put against my policy and they confirmed that I had nothing to worry about.

Then I got a call from the driver threatening legal action if I didn’t pay up for the damage. I have contacted a lawyer and he’s offered to take the case pro-bono if the driver tries to pursue it. He will recoup costs from her.

Based on your experience how should Toronto make the bike lanes safer? And how should drivers turn to make it safer for bikes?

As a driver, when there are no bollards in the way I (1) signal and (2) try to get as far over to the right as possible when there are no bikes. I then wait until the pedestrians are clear and turn right. But of course I have been yelled at by certain miltant cyclists because I am in their way.

The other way is to wait in the auto lane and wait until all cyclists are clear. But of course this is illegal and highly dangerous as there is still a blind spot.

So I have decided that holding my ground in the bike lane is safer for those cyclists who agree on following the law. To the extent they don't want to wait until I turn they can do the highly dangerous action of swerving into oncoming traffic.

But then how about the badly designed bike lanes without the option for auto's to block oncoming bike traffic? Should the lane be designed better? Maybe removing bollards so cars can assume the lane? Should there be dedicated lights for autos to turn right? How should they be designed better so that there are no more accidents like this?

Dear Muller, contrary to your assertion that it is dangerous for cyclists to "swerve" left out into traffic on a car right turn, please see attached the city cycle map recommending exactly that.

Anyway the City has put up several "car yield to bike" signs up on the cycle tracks, at least on Richmond, but I find it's still safer to turn left around a right turning car as it is too unpredictable to be in their blind spot.

It works. I have never in my life been hit by a right turning car after 10+ years of cycling using this method. Same thing with dooring following the spacing recommendations in the bike map.

I also find the yield to bike signs confusing in terms of interpreting the picture!

Finally here's a Globe article on the right turn bike lane situation: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...way-in-designated-bike-lanes/article34015444/

Attachments

• IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1968.JPG
    IMG_1968.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Back