News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 463     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

@GraphicMatt
Key findings on safety after bike lanes installed on Bloor. Notably, staff say collisions between motor vehicles “reduced significantly.”

@GraphicMatt
City’s economic analysis says just 9% of people coming to Bloor Street to shop arrive by car.

@GraphicMatt
This report is a slam dunk. Tory would have to twist himself into knots to find ways to oppose keeping the Bloor bike lanes now.

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/918110407725928448

@GraphicMatt
Key findings on safety after bike lanes installed on Bloor. Notably, staff say collisions between motor vehicles “reduced significantly.”

@GraphicMatt
City’s economic analysis says just 9% of people coming to Bloor Street to shop arrive by car.

@GraphicMatt
This report is a slam dunk. Tory would have to twist himself into knots to find ways to oppose keeping the Bloor bike lanes now.

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/918110407725928448
Thanks for links! Far more informative than the TorStar initial story.

The "slam-dunk" is not only good for continuing this, but for *vastly improving it*! I make no apologies in pointing out how poorly the present iteration is for safety and practicality, contrary to what many others may think. It needs vast improvement, and that's only possible by totally revisiting the present design. Due to lack of street width, I believe a *physically separated bi-directional lane* one side of the street with no-parking that side is the way to do it. Other side of the street retains parking as it has been prior to the temp lanes. With the claim of (gist) "Only 9% of shoppers arrive by car", how can it ever be claimed that parking only one side is a disincentive to shopping for them? Bi-directional one side for cyclists means unobstructed sight-lines, ability to pass if no oncoming cycles, and a psychological feel of more space as well as actual to reduce the 'cycling on a tightrope' sensation in many spots. That means far more awareness of surroundings, since balance becomes far easier and automatic.

Another plus of bi-di one side means that cars intersecting Bloor from side-streets also have an unobstructed sight-line, and the necessity for pulling into the bike-lanes before proceeding onto Bloor is rendered far less often. Passenger door prizes are also eliminated with no parking on the bi-di bike lane side. It might even reduce mindless pedestrian intrusion into the bike lanes, since the open vista is far more conducive (one would hope) to their being aware of the dangers.

This still has to clear Council...lol...I daren't comment on that at this time...

Edit to Add: As I read the report, one of the legitimate concerns of drivers is the reduced parking space availability. What's clear to me is that by accommodating a single bike lane each side of the street, it reduces parking from what it would be compared to bi-di cycle lane one side, parking the other. There's a lot of space wasted trying to accommodate parking next to a bike lane, the lane also being compromised in many places too by the awkward parking configuration.

Last edited:
Worth noting is that report includes a recommendation for adding physically separated bike lanes on Bloor between Church and Sherbourne in 2019, co-incidient w/road reconstruction already scheduled.

Worth noting is that report includes a recommendation for adding physically separated bike lanes on Bloor between Church and Sherbourne in 2019, co-incidient w/road reconstruction already scheduled.

This would make a lot more sense if the Davenport bike lanes were also extended down along Davenport/Church to meet them (and possibly the rest of the way down Church as well)

Didn't he say he was supporting gender equality motion for budget but told all of his suburban councilor minions to vote against it? He's very used to pulling stunts like that.

Like I keep saying in the thread, what reason does he have to remove the bike lanes?

John Tory doesn't care very much about ideology. He takes the path of least resistance on practically every issue, and the path of least resistance on this one is to keep the bike lanes in place. A vote to have them removed means that he pisses off tens of thousands of voters whose support he'll need a year from now. A vote to keep them won't cost him any supporters - anyone who's strongly opposed to the bike lanes is someone who will never support him against a flame-thrower like Doug Ford, or who will grumble about "damn cyclists" but vote to re-elect him regardless.

Those bike lanes on Bloor converted me. I've always driven on Bloor, but after the gridlock caused by the lanes I thought, can't fight them, so join them, and instead I cycle on Bloor. I just wish the lane started at Sherbourne, not west of Yonge.

This is a pet peeve of mine. We should treat bikes lanes like we do active streetcar tracks; i.e. they're all connected to each other. If a separated lane is needed for cyclist safety, why stop them suddenly?

Like I keep saying in the thread, what reason does he have to remove the bike lanes?

John Tory doesn't care very much about ideology. He takes the path of least resistance on practically every issue, and the path of least resistance on this one is to keep the bike lanes in place. A vote to have them removed means that he pisses off tens of thousands of voters whose support he'll need a year from now. A vote to keep them won't cost him any supporters - anyone who's strongly opposed to the bike lanes is someone who will never support him against a flame-thrower like Doug Ford, or who will grumble about "damn cyclists" but vote to re-elect him regardless.

What? He's all about ideology. Actually, it's extremely ideological to claim that he's not. He's a first and foremost a (fiscal) conservative, as little public service as possible type of guy. He wants to get re-elected to further his agenda, and he will seem to support progressive causes when convenient. Doug Ford will say "damn cyclists" out loud; the only difference here is that Tory will think the same but pragmatically avoid saying it.

Back