414     1 
News   Sep 20, 2019
 1.1K     0 

Gay Toronto in the 1970s

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Before "Pride Day/Week" there were Gay Rights/Gay Liberation marches & protests -

Wellesley St. E., 1974 (east of Jarvis, nothing has changed here in nearly 40 years!)

Nathan Phillips Square, 1975

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've reached peak queer. I'm totally onboard with gay marriage, trans, equal rights, treatment, protection and respect for all sexual identities and would readily defend these rights for family, friends and others to my utmost. But I'm tired of sexual identity topics dominating the media and public discourse.

Last edited:

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I've reached peak queer. I'm totally onboard with gay marriage, trans, equal rights, treatment, protection and respect for all sexual identities and would readily defend these rights for family, friends and others to my utmost. But I'm tired of sexual identity topics dominating the media and public discourse.
So, why are you commenting ?

C. Stenhouse

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi my father (Derek Stenhouse) & his partner (Rene Fortier) of 25+ years were the owners of Club Manatee and then Soltarios, even though I was young when they opened the Club Manatee, I can give you some of my experiences when visiting and playing/dancing in the club from late 70's to early 80's and it's transmission into the Playground era and also when they opened Soltarios, until their both passing 1993.
Hey everyone -

I'm currently working on a project that involves some research about gay life in Toronto between the late 60s and the mid 80s. I'm less interested in the activist part of this history - what was achieved regarding rights, etc, and much more interested in the habits and practices of gay men in this period. What did gay men do for fun on Saturday night? How much of one's homosexuality did one show in public at this time? What did it feel like to be gay in Toronto at that time? I am doing some research at the CLGA archives and among some other avenues, but I'm really interested in hearing and reading personal stories - particularly the stuff that doesn't get recorded in archives cause it may seem unimportant or unhistoric.

I'd love to meet people so they can tell me their stories in person. And, if you do want to meet, I'll give you more information about my project (don't worry, it's nothing bad). Personal message me if you'd like to do that. Or, if you just want to reminisce, reply here!

Thanks for any help you can give me!