News   Jul 31, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 456     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 388     2 

Gas Prices too high??? Why not just slow down?

That's not the way I've heard it in the media. What I've heard is that we should avoid hard braking, with no direct connection made to hard acceleration thereafter. That's why it made no sense to me, since if I pull into my drive way, stomp on the brakes and then turn off the car, where's the extra gas burn?
I think it's more about how avoiding hard braking also involves more gliding/coasting/slowerdriving because you have to accelerate pretty fast on a short driveway to be able to make a hard stop. Its related very indirectly, but its related nonetheless.

I believe that Air Canada have slowed down their transatlantic flights - last Saturday the pilot announced that it would take eight hours to reach Toronto, which is slower than it used to be. And they've changed their descents to save fuel too - it felt like we weren't descending as gradually as before. Their on-flight magazine brags about how much more economical they are with fuel these days.

They've also for a few years been padding their schedules so as to improve their on-time performance. Which means that with a good head-wind these days, incoming flights can be quite early - which is a bit of a pain when your picking someone up.

A better measurement of performance is avg deviation from scheduled arrival time. That's very much the case in logistics, as well. Goods arriving much too early can be as bad as arriving much too late.

Back