News   Sep 18, 2020
 888     0 
News   Sep 18, 2020
 10K     6 

Gardiner Expressway Hybrid Design

achender

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is there any chance they will abandon the hybrid part of the hybrid option and just try and patch up whats there? Was that ever costed out? I hope it was either impractical or more expensive.

TorPronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
I feel the summary of what happened to the traffic is not detailed enough. I would like to see examples with percentages of how the traffic changed. I don't know if it would even be feasible, but I feel the summary given is a bit hand wavy. My intuition is that people changed the places that they normally go to. So they would do grocery shopping closer to their home, go to the restaurant that are close together home, essentially switch over to places that are easier to get to. Although there would be too many confounding factors I wonder what the business Revenue changes would look like for the affected areas.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City has just announce that Aecon have now prepared all the 387 deck panels for the Gardiner work from Cherry to Lower Jarvis. The last one had its poured around the (already fabricated) metal beams in the white tent on 10 September. There are still some to be installed in the yard outside the tents but they still seem to be on track to finish the eastern section by Christmas. Not sure if they will then take some time off and move further west or ???

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Utrect is a small city with population about ~360,000. It is much easier to do without expressways around there.

Plus they have very decent public transit options. They have regional rail that beats our best projections for RER, they have sneltram lines, buses, and a system of dedicated bicycle routes. Good for them but that's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Utrect is a small city with population about ~360,000. It is much easier to do without expressways around there.

Plus they have very decent public transit options. They have regional rail that beats our best projections for RER, they have sneltram lines, buses, and a system of dedicated bicycle routes. Good for them but that's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
"The Randstad (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈrɑntstɑt]) is a megalopolis in the central-western Netherlands consisting primarily of the four largest Dutch cities (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht) and their surrounding areas." Megalopolis population is 8,219,380. GTA population is 5.928 million.

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
"The Randstad (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈrɑntstɑt]) is a megalopolis in the central-western Netherlands consisting primarily of the four largest Dutch cities (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht) and their surrounding areas." Megalopolis population is 8,219,380. GTA population is 5.928 million.
Fair enough, but on that scale, the motorway Utrecht removed is just one short local road.

On the scale of the Randstad, they have so much public transit that we will need 50 years just to reach their today's level. And at the same time, they have more highways than GTA has :) (although none of their highways is as wide as the 401).

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
For scale, Randstad is 4300 sq km vs GTHA's 8300 sqkm (though GTHA includes some fairly empty sections of Durham, York and Halton). Durham region alone is over 2500 sq km and only 650k people. In other words, a lot of that area isn't really part of the urban agglomeration. Over time, I would not be surprised to see GTHA approach similar levels of density. But we'll do it with more super-high density residential and a lot more low density SFH than the fairly compact low-rise form in NL.