News   Jul 15, 2024
 326     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 491     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 555     0 

Garbage: The Golden Age

i saw the pic, what's in the cage? a hippo?

is hippo oil made from hippos? what do you do with it?

Garbage 1940s style

One guy looks like he's about to pull out his tommy gun and shoot the garbage full of holes.

Could someone a bit closer to Toronto check out photos of Toronto politicians of the 1940s. I think the guy in the middle of that picture was Mayor Saunders. :D

One guy looks like he's about to pull out his tommy gun and shoot the garbage full of holes.

Could someone a bit closer to Toronto check out photos of Toronto politicians of the 1940s. I think the guy in the middle of that picture was Mayor Saunders. :D

http://www.answers.com/topic/robert-hood-saunders

hey you're right! its likely he wasn't carrying a weapon. he did however, start the Elmer The Safety Elephant program.

http://www.elmer.ca/parents-educators/story.php

i saw the pic, what's in the cage? a hippo?

is hippo oil made from hippos? what do you do with it?

The powerful whale oil lobby eventually got the production of hippo oil banned, but it's nice to be reminded that it was once a vital part of our local economy.

They used to roam the Prairies in large herds until the white man arrived. There were several hippo rendering and processing plants at the foot of Bathurst in the late 19th century - the cheap and readily available heating oil they produced almost put Consumers Gas out of business.

The one in the cage is probably stuffed.

They used to roam the Prairies in large herds until the white man arrived. There were several hippo rendering and processing plants at the foot of Bathurst in the late 19th century - the cheap and readily available heating oil they produced almost put Consumers Gas out of business.

The one in the cage is probably stuffed.

LOL!

i'm guessing hippo is just a brand and not literally an animal oil like whale oil. i guess i had a "there's carrots on the label and there's carrots in the can, there's beans on the label and there's beans in the can so therefore if there's a baby on the label, there's... OMG! murderers!" moment.

hmm, you mentioned the foot of bathurst. didn't they have some big coal gas (town gas) refinery there? could hippo oil be coal oil?

p.s, if hippo made coal gas and called it hippo gas, that would be a marketing disaster for sure! ;)

The parade of sanitation vehicles proves that not only was this city once proud of its services, but it was also proud to serve. I wish we still had that some of that spirit.

RE: Hippo Oil 10/15/2004 11:31 AM
There are many cottages in my area with the same floor finish used in the 1920's. The "old timers" call it Hippo Oil, but have no idea what it is. It is a very dark brown and has a good sheen and has lasted so well, I would like to know if anyone has any ideas about what it could be.
Thanks,
lj

feb08007.jpg

Back