1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Full computer system, $450 or best offer

theowne

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone use this marketplace?

I'm getting a new computer. I'ms selling my old one, computer + monitor, for $450 or best offer, though I won't go too low.

It's a Gateway with

AMD X2 3800 Dual Core processor
Nvidia 7900GS (upgraded myself, play stuff like Fallout 3, Oblivion on it)
M-Audio 24/96 (another upgrade I did, this is a "prosumer" sound card, somewhere between consumer and studio level)
1 Gig of ram and 250 GB of storage

Also have a 17" LCD Metro monitor, and the typical keyboard mouse deal.

I'm willing to pay $150, minus the audio card, monitor and other peripherals, if you're interested in keeping them.

When Acer is selling a similar product for $399, you know you're over-priced!

On-board video = garbage

On-board sound AND video???

I know it is only $450 and all but still I am very suspicious of any computer with on-board sound and video. My computer has on-board sound but I disabled it and put in SB Live Value. It only cost $50 back then but it made a huge difference (not that I actually even bothered to test the on-board sound; bad experience with an earlier computer was enough).

I think the original poster's computer seems MUCH better than the others posted here simply because it has dedicated video and sound. Too bad it is a brand name computer, thoguht i am still consdering this. I am very suspicious of brand name computers, especially the kind sold at Futureshop. I've had bad experiences in the past. Don't know about Tigerdirect though. Are the computers reliable? How is the wiring and air circulation??? At least with an actual store I would be able to see.

My computer is 10 years old, btw, so i have been shopping for a new computer. Currently: Asus A7M, Athlon 1.4 GHz, 128mb ATI ALL-in-Wonder 9600, 80GB 7200RPM, 512 MB 266MHz DDR, SB Live Value. What do ya think? Time to upgrade? :)

On-board video = garbage

On-board sound AND video???

I know it is only $450 and all but still I am very suspicious of any computer with on-board sound and video. My computer has on-board sound but I disabled it and put in SB Live Value. It only cost $50 back then but it made a huge difference (not that I actually even bothered to test the on-board sound; bad experience with an earlier computer was enough).

I think the original poster's computer seems MUCH better than the others posted here simply because it has dedicated video and sound. Too bad it is a brand name computer, thoguht i am still consdering this. I am very suspicious of brand name computers, especially the kind sold at Futureshop. I've had bad experiences in the past. Don't know about Tigerdirect though. Are the computers reliable? How is the wiring and air circulation??? At least with an actual store I would be able to see.

My computer is 10 years old, btw, so i have been shopping for a new computer. Currently: Asus A7M, Athlon 1.4 GHz, 128mb ATI ALL-in-Wonder 9600, 80GB 7200RPM, 512 MB 266MHz DDR, SB Live Value. What do ya think? Time to upgrade? :)

Considering you can get the Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 for $40, and a video card upgrade for another $50-$75, the original posting is a pretty bad deal.

Plus, the Quad Core IntelQ6600 2.40GHz absolutely owns Dual Core AMD X2 3800:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

PassMark CPU Benchmark

Intel Q6600 2.40Ghz: 2710
AMD X2 3800+: 810

Computer are cheap these days, I saw a complete system for under $200 at Canada Computers, but I don't know how good it was because I haven't followed computer hardware much in the last couple years.

The M-Audio card in the computer sells for around $100, actually. It is a digital recording card.

Anyways, I already sold the machine (for $400) so this offer is officially closed.

Back