570     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 874     0 

French sporting goods retailer, Decathlon, plans expansion across Canada

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Decathlon reportedly has more than 1500 stores in 51 countries. They currently have 2 locations in the Greater Montreal Area. With 2 more opening in September in Ottawa and Sainte-Foy, Quebec. And another one to open in Montreal's Eaton Centre later on.

Plans for future stores in Toronto and across the rest of Canada are also in the works.

Last edited:
The first Decathlon location in Southern Ontario will be at Mapleview Centre in Burlington, taking a 54,800 square foot space which used to be a Sears.

More locations in the GTA are expected as they continue their expansion.

Decathalon is a master at sourcing and selling well-made and affordable line of house-brand sporting goods products, that will no doubt rattle the cages of Canadian Tire, SportChek and all of the other incumbents in this space. My experience with their stores and products was always positive. Can't wait to see them start opening stores in urban Toronto and within the GTA.

Decathlon are opening a new "City concept" store at Union Station in Summer 2022:

Amid a changing retail landscape and accelerated digitization of the world around us, Decathlon Canada is launching a bold new City concept store at Union Station in the heart of Toronto. As part of its continued expansion, the brand’s new location will boast a smaller footprint than its traditional large-format stores, offering a curated experience to satisfy the quickly evolving behaviour of a consumer who’s increasingly seeking ease and convenience in their shopping experience. The concept signifies the first of its kind in Canada. And, according to Julien Duchateau, Ontario Leader for Decathlon Canada, it represents a significant opportunity for the brand to reach more Canadians through a unique and differentiated offering.

“We feel extremely fortunate to be opening a location in the heart of the biggest city in Canada,” says Duchateau. “And we’re excited to be coming with a concept that is a departure from the experience that we offer in our larger flagship stores. It will be a completely unique Decathlon experience, one that will introduce the brand to Torontonians in a really compelling way. And, it allows us to bring sports to our urban customers, engaging with the hyper-local city core, inspiring them to get active and engage with the brand in a whole new way.”

The brand’s City concept, opening in Summer 2022 as part of the ongoing transformation and development of Toronto’s Union Station, becomes Decathlon’s twelfth location in Canada and fourth in the Greater Toronto Area, joining locations in Burlington, Vaughan, and the newly opened store in Brampton. Despite its modest 3,500 square feet of real estate, commuters to and locals within the city will be able to access more than 7,000 of the brand’s products, featuring a seasonal rotation of top performing items, representing nearly its entire range of innovative sporting goods across 65 different sports. In addition, the same expert associate advice that Decathlon has become known for through the years will be available in the store. And, as a way by which to keep up with a rapidly changing consumer, the store will also offer same-day click-and-collect. It’s an offering that Jaylone Lee, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer for Decathlon Canada, says is a “distilled version” of the Decathlon experience within a fast, easy and convenient model.

“Decathlon City at Union Station is going to be a jewel box of a store, with all of the essential elements of the brand,” she says. “An all-access approach to sports is a central theme at Decathlon. At our City location, consumers will enjoy a digital experience that’s fast and convenient. We intend to include services like accepted returns from other locations, as well as seasonal services like skate sharpening, ski waxing, and eventually bike tune-ups. In addition, the store will also offer extended hours to suit the action of the area. Like a sports team with a deep line-up, Decathlon is able to offer these services with the support of nearby GTA stores in combination with the dedicated staff at Union Station. The result is a meeting place between Decathlon’s online store, its services, and its retail flagship locations, making this a truly special concept.”

Decathlon are opening a new "City concept" store at Union Station in Summer 2022:

I'm just curious to know how Canadian consumers are generally reacting to the fact that they don't sell a single international brand, and that all of their merchandise is "house" label. I personally don't mind since their product quality is very high.

I'm just curious to know how Canadian consumers are generally reacting to the fact that they don't sell a single international brand, and that all of their merchandise is "house" label. I personally don't mind since their product quality is very high.

Personally, I've found their business model to be quite refreshing. Especially when you look at how expensive the premium brands of outerwear like Arc'teryx are now. Decathlon feels like a "back to fundamentals" version of MEC with consistency.

I had never heard of them until I went to the one in Vaughan (a huge store, btw) about a month ago. I had searched online for "rain cap" and went there as it was the closest to me, and a similar thing at Mark's was $10 more expensive and out of stock at nearby outlets.

Last edited:

Back