News   Jul 26, 2024
 277     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 304     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 328     0 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

Me-thinks these past 3-4 weeks have not been kind to Ford, hence his 'handlers' have decided to draw attention away from him by creating this story....started by his brother, no less. Oh, and just because TSN is carrying 'the story'...doesn't mean that there is any substance'to it. Sports reporters are ravenous for a story.

Yeah..but in the article it does mention Rogers, and they did make a bid for the Leafs/Raptors and whatever for 1.2 billion bucks... who is to say that they are not jumping on this instead, it does make more sense to buy into the NFL than a bunch of losing teams.

I guess it depends who you spend time with. I don't know anyone in favour of having an NFL team, and that includes NFL fans that I know.

well based on the support the people of Toronto give our CFL team, no one supports them either ;)

Lets throw this juicy timbit out there: All of sudden, about 7-8 months before submissions for the 2020 summer games are due, there's talk about a NFL team - and such a commodity would be a good post games use for any Olympic Stadium. Seems like Ford may be warming up for an Olympic bid.

2 senior staff leaving Ford’s office

Wow... already? I can't imagine Kouvalis leaving this position if he didn't predict that things are going to go downhill from here for Ford.

He was responsable for getting Ford elected and should want to share in on the glory of holding office.... unless he knows that Ford's promises aren't doable and shit is about to hit the fan.

Entertaining indeed.

He's moving to a cushy new job overseeing garbage and TTC privatization. Much better for him to be there.

Personally, I think the real majority is more-or-less indifferent/apathetic to the NFL in Toronto.

Incidentally, going back to the election, I've been parsing through the stats and here's something really interesting that I've discovered: that in Sandra Bussin's Ward 32, the only significant (i.e. non-senior and w/over 100 voters) polls to support Ford over Smitherman (5 and 13), also happened to be the only significant polls to support...Bussin over McMahon.

Figure that one out.

Jays have a great TV contract.

Jn I have I always wanted to ask those against the NFL.(I'm on the fence now.) What is the difference between that and the Jays? What about the intercounty maple leafs? Why don't we get rid of the Jays for that? Same Concept.

Well the Jays' TV contract is essentially free programming for Rogers.

The difference between the Argos and the intercounty Maple Leafs is that one is a nationally followed professional league and the other is a local "not followed" semi-pro league. The Intercounty league is on par with the Candian Soccer League, whereby their presence isn't even on the radar for even the most hardcore of sports fans. Because the CFL has big attendance figures, and needs those attendance figures to durvive as is, there's obviously some fear that an NFL team could have an impact on that. Whereas, the Maple Leafs or let's say Toronto Croatia don't depend on the business side of things to survive really.

I'm not against a team in Toronto. I think they can coexist with the Argos. But, I think there are some good reasons why a team isn't here currently and why it's an uphill battle to get one in the future. It's just the nature of the business.

Well the Jays' TV contract is essentially free programming for Rogers.

The difference between the Argos and the intercounty Maple Leafs is that one is a nationally followed professional league and the other is a local "not followed" semi-pro league. The Intercounty league is on par with the Candian Soccer League, whereby their presence isn't even on the radar for even the most hardcore of sports fans. Because the CFL has big attendance figures, and needs those attendance figures to durvive as is, there's obviously some fear that an NFL team could have an impact on that. Whereas, the Maple Leafs or let's say Toronto Croatia don't depend on the business side of things to survive really.

I'm not against a team in Toronto. I think they can coexist with the Argos. But, I think there are some good reasons why a team isn't here currently and why it's an uphill battle to get one in the future. It's just the nature of the business.

I'm with you actually. They can exist. I just found it odd people did not feel the same way about the Leafs they did the Argos considering both are older. Could Rogers in theory bend arms at the CRTC to change the laws?

There is no doubt people in Toronto and area are way more interested in the NFL then in the CFL. Rest of Canada it is different.

Last year the Superbowl had one of the highest ratings ever for a sports game (then the Olympics reshaped everything lol)...

6.7 million Canadians turned it, 2 million from the Toronto region alone and it had a 65 share lol!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=309467

It had higher ratings then the Grey Cup. World Cup 2010 drew 5.82 million viewers + 200k more online.

The comments say otherwise.

Countries and pro sports are not the same. They are quite different. But you are not even a sports fan. I bet you didn't even know that we have canadian baseball league with a team called the Toronto Maple Leafs.

And how many times do you watch the CBC. And the NHL? I'm pretty sure its American.

And I support Ghana because I'm from there. Do you have a problem with that
Which comments do you mean?

I am a sports fan, and I've been to Intercounty Leaf games a few times over the years.

I haven't counted the number of times I've watched the CBC, but I can start now if you want.

I don't have a problem with any Canadian giving support to other countries, unless it's at the expense of Canada. I would never support the country my parents emigrated from over Canada in a direct competition, but I support it against all other countries.

Any more questions?

Well according to TSN there is 4 rich dudes...
FOUR GROUPS REPORTEDLY SEEKING TO BRING NFL TO TORONTO.....http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=350461
And conveniently enough, ZERO viable candidates are named. Paul Godfrey doesn't have anywhere near that kind of money, and corporations (Rogers for example) are strictly forbidden by NFL bylaws to own NFL teams.

The Ford's are talking out of their rapidly expanding butts.

Yeah..but in the article it does mention Rogers, and they did make a bid for the Leafs/Raptors and whatever for 1.2 billion bucks... who is to say that they are not jumping on this instead, it does make more sense to buy into the NFL than a bunch of losing teams.
That's great but irrelevant since the NFL itself says Rogers cannot own an NFL team.

There is no doubt people in Toronto and area are way more interested in the NFL then in the CFL. Rest of Canada it is different.

Last year the Superbowl had one of the highest ratings ever for a sports game (then the Olympics reshaped everything lol)...

6.7 million Canadians turned it, 2 million from the Toronto region alone and it had a 65 share lol!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=309467

It had higher ratings then the Grey Cup. World Cup 2010 drew 5.82 million viewers + 200k more online.
You're deeply wrong man. Super Bowl and Grey Cup ratings are comparable, especially since, for strategic reasons, CTV, an over-the-air network, broadcasts the Super Bowl, while cable stations TSN and RDS (available in fewer homes) air the Grey Cup.

The Grey Cup drew 6.4 million viewers in 2009 and 6.25 million in 2010. And for 2009, more than 14 million Canadians watched part of the game (representing 43 per cent of the population), and the audience peaked at 8.35 million when the game-deciding field goal was kicked.

Last edited:
Which comments do you mean?

I am a sports fan, and I've been to Intercounty Leaf games a few times over the years.

I haven't counted the number of times I've watched the CBC, but I can start now if you want.

I don't have a problem with any Canadian giving support to other countries, unless it's at the expense of Canada. I would never support the country my parents emigrated from over Canada in a direct competition, but I support it against all other countries.

Any more questions?

And conveniently enough, ZERO viable candidates are named. Paul Godfrey doesn't have anywhere near that kind of money, and corporations (Rogers for example) are strictly forbidden by NFL bylaws to own NFL teams.

The Ford's are talking out of their rapidly expanding butts.

That's great but irrelevant since the NFL itself says Rogers cannot own an NFL team.

You're deeply wrong man. Super Bowl and Grey Cup ratings are comparable, especially since, for strategic reasons, CTV, an over-the-air network, broadcasts the Super Bowl, while cable stations TSN and RDS (available in fewer homes) air the Grey Cup.

The Grey Cup drew 6.4 million viewers in 2009 and 6.25 million in 2010. And for 2009, more than 14 million Canadians watched part of the game (representing 43 per cent of the population), and the audience peaked at 8.35 million when the game-deciding field goal was kicked.

It's been estimated that CTV is available to around 4-7 million more Canadians than TSN. Factor in also where Rogers charges extra for their customers to get TSN. Ex. Toronto. Unlike other parts of the country, ix, Cogeco cable offers TSN apart of it's basic package. Same with Shaw Cable.

Back