News   Jul 26, 2024
 99     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 572     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 475     1 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

The NFL season is much much shorter than the NHL's, so it's much easier to sustain that sort of intensity. At most a Super Bowl winner plays 20 games. A Stanley Cup winner plays at least 98. If the Leafs played only 16 games a season I think this city would plotz.

edit: I assume NCAA teams play a similar amount of games?

NCAA Division I teams mostly play 11-13 regular season games. Some add a conference championship game, and there are of course bowl games (but no playoffs) at the end of the season.

Football in the States has very deep support. I used to be amused that Varsity Stadium (the old one) was smaller than the stadium at my high school in Ohio. It was a revelation for me coming to a large university where football wasn't a big deal at all after attending Ohio State. Ohio State games draw over 100,000 without fail, and would do so regardless of how good the team is. In that regard the larger Division I schools are considerably better supported than NFL teams, although the TV rights are what put the NFL over the top financially.

The issue regarding attendance and perceived popularity comes down to the number of games played. When you're an NCAA or NFL team and you only play 5 or 8 home games per year, it's much easier to sell out 75,000+ seats. If hockey games were played that many times and we had them played in 75,000 seat stadiums we'd see sell outs here too. They'd become "events" in their own right. Even Canadian Junior hockey is well supported when you consider they play 34 home games per season and teams like London sell out every game. That's roughly 340,000 tickets sold.

I think an NFL team can exist here. There's reasons why the NFL might not come here, but it certainly can exist, and it can co-exist with the CFL. People who are fans of the CFL aren't fans because they like football. They are fans because they like the Argos and they like the CFL. That won't change with the NFL in town. There would also be an opportunity for the teams to cross-promote and form a partnership.

Ottoschloss said:
Well N.Y. does have the Jets, they're just headquartered in N.J. But the thing is, Football is overall a suburban sport and draws most of its fanbase from the suburbs not the urban core. Put a stadium in Mississauga or Vaughn and it'll do well -put it downtown and it'll die a slow expensive taxpayer funded death.
This is bullshit. Exactly half the stadiums in the NFL are located in downtowns (Indianapolis, Chicago, Seattle, Detroit, Denver, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Nashville, Baltimore, Charlotte, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Atlanta, Minnesota and New Orleans) and 7 of the 13 stadiums built since 2000 are in downtown locations and 9 of 15 if you want to go back to 98. I guess 15 franchises are going under in the next few years eh?

An NFL team would pretty much kill the exisitence of the CFL and the cultural distinction it brings with it, all the way down to grass roots level. From the rules, the dimension of highschool fields, and the way the game is treated to the recruiting, and academic treatment of our University students (which already happens in certain schools).

It's not just an 'NFL' team. It's a bit of a cultural a-bomb.
One more sliver of cultural integration that canadians would now share with our slight wacky cousins down south.

This is a bad idea.

The jobs created will be american pro-atheletes, with tax breaks due to non-residency statuses, at least with the CFL, certain number of Canadian players are mandated, all pay Canadian income tax, etc.

Plus, why does Toronto need another LOSING pro franchise?
So you support affirmative action???? 20 roster spots resevered is the stupidest idea ever and make it look like Canadian would not be able tom player in their own league without it. Even still each team has 20 americans. How canadian is that. And most of the stars of the CFL are american(then again the argument NFL players won't come here goes out the window.) The Argos are losing money as well.

But the CFL won't be killed nor will the Argos. The CFL is at an all time high right now with a great contract and other that Hamilton, Winnipeg and Toronto(go figure), the league will be fine. Ottawa is also getting a new franchise, albeit again,
Not saying I am on board with this yet(STADIUM ANYONE?) but if there are 4 groups anything can happen.

Watch the TiCats PanAM fiasco closely, that might determine the future of the CFL in southern ontario.

The issue regarding attendance and perceived popularity comes down to the number of games played. When you're an NCAA or NFL team and you only play 5 or 8 home games per year, it's much easier to sell out 75,000+ seats. If hockey games were played that many times and we had them played in 75,000 seat stadiums we'd see sell outs here too. They'd become "events" in their own right. Even Canadian Junior hockey is well supported when you consider they play 34 home games per season and teams like London sell out every game. That's roughly 340,000 tickets sold.

I think an NFL team can exist here. There's reasons why the NFL might not come here, but it certainly can exist, and it can co-exist with the CFL. People who are fans of the CFL aren't fans because they like football. They are fans because they like the Argos and they like the CFL. That won't change with the NFL in town. There would also be an opportunity for the teams to cross-promote and form a partnership.

This is bullshit. Exactly half the stadiums in the NFL are located in downtowns (Indianapolis, Chicago, Seattle, Detroit, Denver, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Nashville, Baltimore, Charlotte, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Atlanta, Minnesota and New Orleans) and 7 of the 13 stadiums built since 2000 are in downtown locations and 9 of 15 if you want to go back to 98. I guess 15 franchises are going under in the next few years eh?

Your right but the parking is less downtown. Downsivew would be good. or Scarborough.

"To be a world class city, at least a North American world class city..."

Huh? I would think a world-class city is a world-class city and the measure of it is the same internationally? How can a city be 'world class' but only by North American standards? Idiot. Or, should I say 'Fordiot'.

Even Canadian Junior hockey is well supported when you consider they play 34 home games per season and teams like London sell out every game. That's roughly 340,000 tickets sold.

Not in the GTA they are not! Not even close. Mississauga and Brampton are annually 1 an 2 in the "worst OHL attendance" every year....this year Mississauga is doing slightly better because they tied a bunch of tickets to the Memorial Cup.....but, without that, crowds of over 2k per game are extremely rare (2 for Brampton this year...a home opener and a New Years Eve matinee).

Your right but the parking is less downtown. Downsivew would be good. or Scarborough.

Considering that NFL games are mostly played on Sundays.....and most of the parking in Dowtown is built/utilized on M-F....I would hazard a guess that there is more parking in, say, a 1km radius of, for example, SkyDome than you could ever hope to build at Downsview!!!....it just ain't urban blight surface parking!

All this talk of downsview has me wondering....isn't it a Park? Didn't the feds pass legislation making it a park?....can you just build a stadium in a park?

"To be a world class city, at least a North American world class city..."

Huh? I would think a world-class city is a world-class city and the measure of it is the same internationally? How can a city be 'world class' but only by North American standards? Idiot. Or, should I say 'Fordiot'.

There seems to be a perception--and it's a North American one, since I've never heard it said about a European or Asian country--that a city needs pro sports teams to be "world class." Thing is, Toronto already has teams from three of the four "big leagues" plus the CFL and MLS. I like the NFL, too, but having it certainly doesn't make Green Bay or Buffalo "world class." I think it speaks more to Ford's love of football. If he can get private investors to pony up for a team (when it's not even that clear that the NFL wants to expand), all power to him, but no city resources should be devoted to pursuing a bid (talk about a gravy train!)

“To be a world class city, at least a North American world class city, we need an NFL team,” Councillor Doug Ford, older brother of Mayor Rob Ford, said.

Wow, that's the dumbest thing I've ever read. I wonder if the Fords have been to world-class cities in Europe. Those cities have museums, strong art scenes, smart street-scaping/planning, transit....

World-class cities in North America:

New York: 2 NFL teams
San Fran: 0 NFL teams
Chicago: 1 NFL team

Those that 'think' the CFL can co exists are SOO out of touch with the game of football, the economics of the NFL, and the understanding of how the league is fed.

The Argos will become exinct overnight, if you think they can co-exist with the notoriety and an NFL team, you're being completely delusional.
Then, it will be Ottawa, and eventually Ticats will be gone
Do you think CFL can survive without Ontario?

Do you think higihschools and the CIS will start playing 3 down football, smaller fields? If that's the case, where does the CFL stand in terms of recruits and grass roots understanding?

The two games are very different.

The NFL is great, not because it's simply pro-sports, but because it's well marketed, a cultural phenomenom, and limited in its product availability.

It's however a a terrible idea for Toronto, the CFL, and canadian grass roots culture in general.

Anyone that has been involved with football beyond a 'played highschool' can tell you that the NFL in Toronto will kill the CFL, and greatly effect the game of 4 down football in Ontario, and perhaps eventually, the rest of the country. Whether you like it or not, this is ultimately the result. Anyone selling otherwise does not know what they are talking about, or just outright misleading.

Those that 'think' the CFL can co exists are SOO out of touch with the game of football, the economics of the NFL, and the understanding of how the league is fed.

The Argos will become exinct overnight, if you think they can co-exist with the notoriety and an NFL team, you're being completely delusional.
Then, it will be Ottawa, and eventually Ticats will be gone
Do you think CFL can survive without Ontario?

Do you think higihschools and the CIS will start playing 3 down football, smaller fields? If that's the case, where does the CFL stand in terms of recruits and grass roots understanding?

The two games are very different.

The NFL is great, not because it's simply pro-sports, but because it's well marketed, a cultural phenomenom, and limited in its product availability.

It's however a a terrible idea for Toronto, the CFL, and canadian grass roots culture in general.

Anyone that has been involved with football beyond a 'played highschool' can tell you that the NFL in Toronto will kill the CFL, and greatly effect the game of 4 down football in Ontario, and perhaps eventually, the rest of the country. Whether you like it or not, this is ultimately the result. Anyone selling otherwise does not know what they are talking about, or just outright misleading.

Unless you have 150k or a scholarship you wont be going to school in the US. Its too expensive.
Ottawa does not have a team right now, and Hamilton because of their city hall is about to lose the ticats.
Ontario is not the whole world. The Riders are the marquee franchise.
If you think this is a bad idea please tell that to the NFL fans in the area.
But this is fruitless because we don't have a proper stadium.

Considering that NFL games are mostly played on Sundays.....and most of the parking in Dowtown is built/utilized on M-F....I would hazard a guess that there is more parking in, say, a 1km radius of, for example, SkyDome than you could ever hope to build at Downsview!!!....it just ain't urban blight surface parking!

All this talk of downsview has me wondering....isn't it a Park? Didn't the feds pass legislation making it a park?....can you just build a stadium in a park?

The NY jets were going to build their new stadium in Flushing meadows a while back

I think if Toronto got an NFL franchise, it'd be well-attended and successful. Whether the NFL is up for it, who knows. I don't think it's likely, but I certainly think it's possible.

I have no problem with the NFL coming here. Rob Ford doesn't think it'll kill off the CFL/Argos, do we have any reason to doubt such a football fan?

The NY jets were going to build their new stadium in Flushing meadows a while back

I guess my question should have been more specific......can you build a stadium in a park in Canada....a park created out of federal land designated by the federal government as a Park?

Back