379     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 417     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 356     2 

Food Matters & Food Inc

Has anyone seen those movies?

Not yet, but I plan on it.

A similar book was published back around 2002 called "Fast Food Nation", also made into a movie. I read the book and I must say it's a "must read" book about the Corporatization of our food products. The book also investigates how they screw with food to make it look, smell and taste better by testing and modifying what we eat with chemicals which, in one case is on the other side of a factory in New Jersey which also tests and produces cleaning agents. It's a truly engaging and eye-opening read. The movie was decent, although it only takes a few cues from the book and creates a story to throw out some facts contained in the book.

First, I second Fast Food Nation as an excellent read; its not polemic, or extreme, just realist and graphic, and that's more than plenty to reinforce or start some good eating habits!

Second, I have seen FOOD Inc; at last year's TIFF. I recommend it highly. Its not too long, it tells its story well, and while I'll grant you it was playing to crowd into the subject matter, the film got a standing O at the TIFF screening I was at, and it was a sell-out.

It deals with a variety of issues; from humanely-raised and killed chicken vs Intensive Livestock operations; shows you how ground chicken is literally bleached, (that was stomach turning).......

Also covers Monsanto, as you'd expect, and they're efforts to harass farmers, seed collectors etc. into leaving the business or becoming Monsanto customers.

And delves into the issue of glucose-fructose as a sweetner vs. sugar or honey and the implications thereof.

Again, very good film.

Haven't seen Food Matters.

I saw Food Inc. at an independent theatre in New York on Houston Street after seeing the NY Premiere of The Cove. So it was a worthwhile - while inexpensive - night on the town for me that night in early August.

Food Inc. tells the story very well - it dives into the subject matter, more about the effects of agricorps on the environment and on farmers - chicken growers who have become serfs, farmers who are sued by Monsanto over accidentally having seed or reseeding their own non-Monsanto plants. It's a great companion to the book Fast Food Nation in which there's a common theme, but little repetition.

Fast Food Nation got me eating at In-N-Out when I can when in the Southwest US, and while not completely changing my diet, it has at least got me at least aware of the many issues out there in food, while being engaging and not preachy either as a read.

Last edited:

Back