W

wyliepoon

Link to article

TTC should look to private partners, Flaherty suggests
Moscoe rejects P3 option

Jacqueline Thorpe
National Post

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Jim Flaherty, the Finance Minister, yesterday said GTA transit authorities must consider partnerships with the private sector if they want federal funding.

"We need people to be able to move and do business in the Greater Toronto Area so there will be more to come on that," Mr. Flaherty told reporters after speaking to a packed crowd of business leaders in Toronto.

Public-private partnerships -- known as "P3s" -- run the gamut from contracting-out arrangements to private financing of public utilities to outright private ownership of public assets. They have become a major plank in the Conservative government's infrastructure strategy.

This week, Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, confirmed that Ottawa was considering making a major expansion of the Windsor-Detroit border crossing a P3.

And they got a big boost on Thursday when the Finance Minister said in his fiscal update he would set up a federal P3 office and make consideration of P3s mandatory for all national infrastructure projects. Provinces and municipalities, meanwhile, would be required to consider P3 options for larger projects receiving federal funds.

Yesterday, Mr. Flaherty said Toronto public transit could be considered national infrastructure. Like the Detroit-Windsor corridor, it is of national economic significance, he said.

"If you look at the Greater Toronto Area, and you look at some of the transportation and transit -- public transit issues in the Greater Toronto Area -- they are also of national economic significance," Mr. Flaherty told reporters in Toronto yesterday.

"This is the headquarters of the financial-services sector in Canada, employing more than 600,000 people.''

TTC chairman Howard Moscoe, however, said P3s were a non-starter for public transit in Toronto. The profit motive was contrary to a public utility, he said.

"In transit we call them public-pirate partnerships," he said in a telephone interview from Ottawa, where he was attending a meeting of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. "All the experience has been bad. There's no profits to be made on sewage and there's no profits to be made on transit."

He discounted arguments that the private sector could run utilities more efficiently and less expensively.

"Sure I could do things quite efficiently if I fired all my public transit workers and paid minimum wage," he said. "Is that what efficiency is? I don't think it's possible. Transit service is a unionized sector. Whether it's run by the public or the private, you're not going to save money on the wages, and that's where the big money is."

Many Torontonians' negative experiences of Highway 407 has discoloured their view of P3s.

Some argue it it was sold for a song to a private consortium by the previous Conservative government of Mike Harris. Tolls have skyrocketed, and there have been endless problems with the electronic equipment used to track drivers, with many ending up being charged for trips they never took.

Mayor David Miller has urged the city to consider P3s for some of its public infrastructure needs but has said he believes the scope for them is fairly narrow and that governments can usually borrow money more cheaply for infrastructure than can private companies.

P3 proponents argue huge cost savings over the lifetime of the projects swamp lower interest payments. Cost overruns are tightly contained so they don't eat into profits, whereas cost overruns in the public sector have to be absorbed by taxpayers.

P3s have swept countries such as Britain, Australia and have taken off in British Columbia and Quebec, which each has its own provincial P3 agency.

Most PPPs are just giveaways to the private sector in order to take some debt off the public sector's books. In other words, an accounting game. However, if a private firm can build a 20km rapid transit line, the majority underground, for $1.5 billion like they're doing in Vancouver, it might not be such a bad idea.

If they can do it, why don't we pay them to build it and have the TTC operate it? I see no reason to have private companies compete with the TTC.

I think it could work for buses - TTC set the routes and tender bus companies to run the service. Any buses to be less than 12 years old (not 20+ like some of the existing fleet), compatible with the Ontarians with Disabilities Act and by say 2010 to be only diesel-electric. TTC's own fleet would be whittled away as buses came up for major overhaul until by say 2015 all the fleet were disposed of.

Someone like Bombardier or Veolia could be contracted to run the streetcar network, especially if the money saved by not buying vehicles for the TTC fleet was spent on new streetcars - double ended ones to finally comply with the ODA and to eliminate the need for loops. Veolia's LUAS system (based on Citadis 30m and 40m trams) is already way ahead of projections in Dublin, Ireland.

The subway system should be the last to be considered, and even then only the cars and drivers - the trackage (as with the streetcars) should remain an infrastructure owned and maintained by the city just like roads and sewers.

With Moscoe, Giambrone and the ATU in charge it will never happen.

If they can do it, why don't we pay them to build it and have the TTC operate it?

Hehe... isn't that how we built our subway lines all along?

I think it could work for buses - TTC set the routes and tender bus companies to run the service.

I believe the entire York Region Transit is run like this (with TTC being one of the contracted bus operators). Look closely at every YRT or Viva bus and you would see the name of the company that operates the vehicle...

10-20-2004038.jpg

A YRT-like arrangement might work for Toronto. For starters, perhaps we should reverse-contract Viva- get them to run their cool blue buses on Toronto bus routes!

Would this lead to better, cheaper service for government and users? I haven't been sold on it.

The YVR contract has a guaranteed profit margin built into it. I don't see how they can possibly save money through a "cost plus" arrangement versus just cost.

I guess the big question here is what is the core competency of the TTC. Is it simply big picture planning (engineering, EA's, design) or does it include operations and labour management as well?

Private companies will NOT get the labour any cheaper. TTC is currently understaffed, meaning the pay is low for the job being done. Changing the job description can be done without going to a private firm.

rbtaylor said:

I don't see how they can possibly save money through a "cost plus" arrangement versus just cost.

- a private operator would not necessarily have the same cost as TTC. That's why private cost+profit can still be better than TTC cost. Such a private operator could be operating for other transit systems and thus have access to the same level of vehicle discounts as TTC, and a bus garage at Steeles could be serving YRT and TTC at the same time rather than two separate garages.

If no operator is willing to operate at a price below TTC's then you keep more routes in house and delay disposals - there shouldn't be an obligation for TTC to dispense with a route unless the price is right.

Also - private operators have free recourse to capital for vehicle upgrades whereas TTC only has access to capital when it suits Toronto City Council to grant it to them. This means the system can expand when it needs to, not 5 years after when the feds/provs finally give some cash.

How about putting out an RFP for, say, the construction and operation of a new subway line along a defined corridor, with the contract awarded to the bid with the lowest required subsidy? Isn't that how many subway systems in Asia get built (all those Alstom and Siemens turnkey projects)...?

I'm as skeptical of P3 as the next guy but I don't think we should be dogmatic about it, either for or against. The important issue here is getting people and goods moving in the GTA region now and in the future. Who gets hosed, the user, the tax-payer, the user and tax-payer is important but of secondary relevence. The main point is that we are way behind in our infrastructure requirements and we have no leadership and no concrete plan to move foreward. Some might say the 407 is a boondoogle or that the St. Clair ROW is a boondoogle but I say the greater boondoogle results from the economic consequences of doing nothing. Flaherty and Moscoe seem more interested in ideology and playing games at a time when we face a leadership vaccuum on this file.

The main advantage is transferring risk to the private sector. For the Canada Line, the $1.25B public contribution is fixed (other than changes in scope) - so when the project costs escalated due to construction and materials increases, the private partner was the one that had to secure additional financing, not the governments (the private sector is paying over $650M to the project).
Contrast that to the Evergreen Line over here, where it is being fully-funded by governments - the cost increases are basically killing the project because with each increase Translink has to find additional government funding.

If P3 is to get involved in transit within the city I think it is only fair to allow the existing TTC to be given the tools required to compete for the job. If the TTC was turned into a non-profit corporation with the same abilities to raise funds as a regular company then a bidding process on various projects, routes, etc would be fair and we would know for certain if there are truly savings. If an upper limit of 50% of all routes could be contracted out to organizations other than the TTC that would ensure that the TTC would always be there as a viable candidate to take back the contract if the other contractor is not performing or is trying to hike up the price. The big mistake would be to privatize the whole thing and have no fallback. The key would be to ensure the city isn't trapped in a situation where the P3 partner is trying to maximize revenue by upping rates beyond what the TTC would have costed and has the city in a situation where the P3 partner owns all the equipment and infrastructure so the city has to fork out a fortune to take the routes back.

^Reasonable policy discussions like the argument you presented are exactly what needs to be done to move us forward. Now if only there were reasonable leaders and interests in charge.

allabootmatt, that's the kind of system they used in Vancouver.

Private companies will NOT get the labour any cheaper. TTC is currently understaffed, meaning the pay is low for the job being done. Changing the job description can be done without going to a private firm.

That's very surprising. I know a lot of people who would love to make the TTC's wages. Some have applied for jobs, but the TTC seems to manage to hide the job opportunities very well. I'd be surprised if a private operator couldn't get people at the turnstiles for less than $20+ an hour.

I think the TTC should be focusing on increasing the quality of its staff, however, rather than reducing their pay. Perhaps make the next wage increase contingent on a much more effective compaints system.

Back