News   Apr 25, 2024
 294     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 930     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 961     0 

Fish & Chips!

Very good, but can be jammed if a tour bus is in town. Henry's on San Souci Island (water/air access only) was an institution but sadly closed.

Sorry to highjack a GTA thread.

Indeed. We were there on a weekend in June, and the lineup was pretty intense. But definitely worth that wait.

Our plan is to hopefully check out this place called Lord Elgin Fish & Chips up in Port Elgin next summer, which looks pretty highly rated.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...sh_Chips-Port_Elgin_Bruce_County_Ontario.html

Soft spot for Sea Witch Fish & Chips at 636 St Clair Ave W, near Christie.

Most certainly one of the best in the city, along with Fresco's in Kensington Market.

The Lakeview also has a surprisingly excellent fish 'n chips that seem to go under the radar. Sadly it's not currently on their truncated covid menu however, which I discovered much to my frustration when I went there 2 weeks ago (that's the only thing I ever order there).

I saw this thread and noticed my post from 2017. Henry's on Frying Pan Island, San Souci re-opened in 2018 under new owners (seasonally closed now). Henry's near Midland closed permanently last year. The original Henry (LePage) got out of the restaurants years ago but still operates a commercial fishery in Georgian Bay.

I'll throw in Hamish's Kitchen

They make a really good Fish N'Chips.

I get the Halibut.

Great batter, nice n' crispy; holds up to some vinegar and salt.

Twice fried french fries sufficiently greasy to make the paper they're wrapped in prove its absorbancy....LOL

They're just off Lebovic now, by Eglinton, btw Pharmacy and Warden.

Last edited:
I don't like fish 'n chips restaurants that have thin-cut fries. I prefer thick-cut fries. With malt vinegar.
Agreed, 100%.

Anyone tried Captain Cookies on Parliament, just south of Shuter? $8 for halibut and chips. That's a proper reasonable price for fish and chips. It shouldn’t cost more than $60 to feed a family of four.

Agreed, 100%.

Anyone tried Captain Cookies on Parliament, just south of Shuter? $8 for halibut and chips. That's a proper reasonable price for fish and chips. It shouldn’t cost more than $60 to feed a family of four.

Yeah, I always get annoyed when I see $16 (and up) fish and chips on the menu at an ordinary restaurant. How is that justifiable?

I wish there were more Halibut House locations, particularly downtown. On Sundays and Mondays they have a good deal - $9 for halibut and chips, and the portions are absolutely massive.

I wish there were more Halibut House locations, particularly downtown. On Sundays and Mondays they have a good deal - $9 for halibut and chips, and the portions are absolutely massive.
That’s our go to place, Vic Park and Danforth. Five fish, three chips, two coleslaws for $50.

Duckworths on Danforth at Dawes?
From 1987 to 1991 I worked at the SDM across the road and would often drop in for lunch. But even then it was pricey, and today it’s $14 for a single serving. For my family of four we can get two large pizzas with toppings at Pizzaville On Laird for under $28 with the walk-in special.

IMO, takeout fish and chips should cost under $10 a serving. You can imagine my shock when I took my family of four to Off The Hook at Broadview and Danforth and with two pops my bill was over a hundred bucks. $22 for fish and chips, FFS! I stayed because it was our first time and wanted to see if this price was justified - it wasn’t, we waited for 45 min to be served whilst they expedited the takeout orders. Food arrived cold and damp.

I’m going to try the $8 fish and chips at Captain Cooke’s at Parliament and Shuter this week, I’ll report back. The reviews look good.

Back