News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 622     0 

First EV garbage truck in Ontario

Tim MacDonald

Member Bio
Reaction score
This has been making the rounds in the neighbourhood for about the last six weeks. Finally had a chance to snap a photo while walking the little one to school. This thing is almost silent!
1715606724887.jpeg

To see it in action is remarkable because it is just super quiet. The first time I saw it, it just sort of appeared in front of my house early one morning and I even opened the window and it was still almost silent! I don't know if it does the whole shift since I have never seen it in the afternoon. Normally, I'd always see the same diesel powered unit both in the morning and in the afternoon but there has been a different truck in the area each time I've made the walk to collect my daughter from school. Still, I hope they transition the whole fleet to these EVs.

Since the fleet mostly ties up at night, there is ample time to recharge - a real no brainer application.

- Paul

Does it have the pedestrian safety whistling noise?
I don't recall a whistling noise but there seems to be some sound from the onboard equipment. I've only heard it house to house so I don't know if there are other sound generators when it is traveling at a faster speed. I do know it has a backup warning sound.

Since the fleet mostly ties up at night, there is ample time to recharge - a real no brainer application.

- Paul
Depends on its range. If it can only do half a shift - as Tim observed but we don't know - they might need to essentially double the size of the fleet to fully electrify. At some point, the truck has to go to a transfer station or some offload location. If that is separate from whoever the contractor is, it then has to go to its home yard.

I don't recall a whistling noise but there seems to be some sound from the onboard equipment. I've only heard it house to house so I don't know if there are other sound generators when it is traveling at a faster speed. I do know it has a backup warning sound.
By whistling I mean something like this:

I thought the sounds were a requirement for reversing only. Honestly I get it, but I find the hum that EVs generate somewhat annoying.
It is also required for intersections and turning right. Been cases where people been hit as they weren't aware of the buses or vehicles that have caught drivers off guard when turning or people walking into them while stop.

GO buses have turning sounds today and they aren't EV's. Even some trucking companies

It should play a cheesy electronic tune, like an ice cream truck for your depressing adult years.
Oh No! I hear enough of the ice cream truck in my area!

I thought the sounds were a requirement for reversing only. Honestly I get it, but I find the hum that EVs generate somewhat annoying.

Under the new requirements, all hybrid and electric vehicles will now be required to have sound emitters that would produce noise at low speeds. Automakers can determine the type of sound the vehicle makes, but the volume and pitch must allow a road user to hear if a vehicle is speeding up or slowing down.

This is a safety and accessibility thing. At low speeds, tire noise is not significant and for vision impaired people it is important that they can hear vehicles approaching.

I'll be honest, I have been driving an EV in a parking lot crawling behind an older gentleman pushing his cart down the middle of the 'aisle'. I didn't want to honk so I just followed him.

Back