News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 982     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 369     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

It seems like an over-engineered solution to a problem that really didnt exist in the first place to be honest.

All for a slightly more spacious cabin. Wow.
Despite the complexity, it would still probably be more reliable than a Bombardier Flexity Outlook. We're talking about Siemens here...

Despite the complexity, it would still probably be more reliable than a Bombardier Flexity Outlook. We're talking about Siemens here...

Your naiveté is somewhat misplaced. You may want to ask how Calgary or San Fran have been doing with their new LRTs. Or how Amtrak's ACS-64s have fared of late.

Dan

3933 KEELE ST
Ward 06 - North York District

Site Plan Application for Finch West LRT Station

I still don't understand why they don't reuse the subway station building. Why do they need to build an additional station building next to it?

I still don't understand why they don't reuse the subway station building. Why do they need to build an additional station building next to it?
Because the Station Box is entirely north of Finch, and the two buildings are well north of Finch. The LRT tunnel is under Finch. Which allows for the addition of entrances on the south side of Finch.

From the 2010 report on the Finch West station page.

Without another exit, you'd be pushing everyone from the LRT, into one exit, which wouldn't be optimal, when you could have quicker exits to the street - and surely the new southeast entrance will also be useful for those accessing the subway.

I see that ownership is a big thing to ML. The FWLRT is built in a way that if operation is revoked from the TTC, it could be outsourced without running to any logistical issues with the TTC. They also avoid the blaming game if things go wrong. You can see how they decided to build their own entrance at Cedarvale and Eglinton for the crosstown. It allows access to the LRT that completely bypasses the TTC portion. Cedarvale is getting 3 entrances righe, left and across the TTC entrance. 1 additional entrance is good for Fire code standards, 3 is good for???

I see that ownership is a big thing to ML. The FWLRT is built in a way that if operation is revoked from the TTC, it could be outsourced without running to any logistical issues with the TTC. They also avoid the blaming game if things go wrong. You can see how they decided to build their own entrance at Cedarvale and Eglinton for the crosstown. It allows access to the LRT that completely bypasses the TTC portion. Cedarvale is getting 3 entrances righe, left and across the TTC entrance. 1 additional entrance is good for Fire code standards, 3 is good for???
Three entrances to Cedarvale are good for pedestrians. The current entrance is between the on and off ramps to Allen road. It’s really only good for the bus terminal. The new south side entrance will be handy for passengers coming from south side of Eglinton to avoid having to cross the street. Same with the new NE and NW entrances. It allows passengers to enter the subway/LRT without having to cross the Allen ramps. In reality, once the LRT opens, that bus terminal will be the least used entrance as the bus station will only be used by the infrequent 63 and 109 bus routes. So the current entrance will be used primarily as the accessibility entrance and for those coming out of the station from the bus.

Three entrances to Cedarvale are good for pedestrians. The current entrance is between the on and off ramps to Allen road. It’s really only good for the bus terminal. The new south side entrance will be handy for passengers coming from south side of Eglinton to avoid having to cross the street. Same with the new NE and NW entrances. It allows passengers to enter the subway/LRT without having to cross the Allen ramps. In reality, once the LRT opens, that bus terminal will be the least used entrance as the bus station will only be used by the infrequent 63 and 109 bus routes. So the current entrance will be used primarily as the accessibility entrance and for those coming out of the station from the bus.
But when the concourse is two levels below the subway platforms, don’t the new entrances make it take longer to get the the subway platform even including waiting for traffic lights to change?

But when the concourse is two levels below the subway platforms, don’t the new entrances make it take longer to get the the subway platform even including waiting for traffic lights to change?
That's definitely a yes since the fare gates and stairs from the upper to lower concourse is on top of the LRT station box. One would walk down the stairs, through a long hallway and turn south to the fare gates. The lower concourse is at a lower level than the station platform thus one would have to take more stairs down and walk up a slope to the subway platform. The subway entrance is more direct for subway access,

Also note that the south entrance leads to the southbound lower concourse. If one is taking the subway northbound, they'll end up having to go up to the upper concourse or down to the LRT platform to cross the subway tracks as the lower concourses (there are two lower concourses) are divided by the subway.

I'll explain why I may choose to use the art entrance even if it may be a bit cumbersome. For me I have to currently cross a bus entrance/exit and a section of the Allen expressway. Both sets of drivers can be nuts. So I may fact go the longer route by entering one of the three lrt station entrances versus taking the existing entrance. I'm sure there will be others whom would chose to do the same.

Back