News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

No idea.
A small point, but hopefully Ford drops this silly, non-intuitive, transit line numbering system.
Use the name. Use the colour. Even use the first letter of the name. but these numbers are meaningless.
They are not getting built so are meaningless anyways.

No idea.
A small point, but hopefully Ford drops this silly, non-intuitive, transit line numbering system.
Use the name. Use the colour. Even use the first letter of the name. but these numbers are meaningless.

I disagree. I helped a couple from Colombia get around yesterday, and the numbering made it easy to give them directions to get out west from Yonge Bloor, especially since they barely spoke english. Bloor meant nothing to them, and I dont know how to say green in Spanish, nor was I going to try. They asked 1 or 2, I flashed two fingers, and they were on their way. My sister, who is directionally challenged, also only refers to them by number. She lives in Mississauga, so the street network being in the name doesn't do anything in terms of helping her understand where she is.

Last edited:
Line 7 was the Finch West LRT before the Sheppard East LRT was deferred indefinitely. Now Line 7 is techinically the Sheppard East LRT if it ever gets built and the Finch West LRT is Line 6.

The 5 AVENUE ROAD, 6 BAY, and 7 BATHURST (and 8 BROADVIEW...) have to be rebranded first. They have 2 years left for Line 5.

I disagree. I helped a couple from Colombia get around yesterday, and the numbering made it easy to give them directions to get out west from Yonge Bloor, especially since they barely spoke english. Bloor meant nothing to them, and I dont know how to say green in Spanish, nor was I going to try. They asked 1 or 2, I flashed two fingers, and they were on their way. My sister, who is directionally challenged, also only refers to them by number. She lives in Mississauga, so the street network being in the name doesn't do anything in terms of helping her understand where she is.
I am the farthest thing from an international traveler, but I did like Tokyo.
The lines had a Name, Colour, and Letter. The name meant nothing to me (even though it was a name spelled in English). I could check at the hotel the line I wanted. I could easily remember the Letter and colour. The better part still was that each station had a number. So instead of memorizing a station name that was like a tongue twister (but in English mind you), I just had to remember the Letter (for the line) and number (for the station #). When you get to a station, the signs clearly tell you which platform is for increasing station numbers, and which is for decreasing. No need to look up the terminal stations as well and clutter my mind with superfluous info.

So in Toronto, you would have the Yonge line (which is yellow) with stations Y10 to Y48 (leave 10 blank in case of extensions).
The green Bloor line would have stations B10 to B41.
The purple Sheppard line would have stations S10 to S15.
The orange (?) Eglinton line would have stations E...
(you get the idea).

If someone wants to get to a particular station, the station numbering helps them find it. As it is, if I want to go to the museum, I have to scan the entire yellow line on the map until I find the word Museum (and English letters may not be that familiar to me. (with the clutter of downtown stations, you might even miss is at first pass or scanning the map). If it is called station Y25, all you have to do is find 2 adjacent stations on the yellow line and you can figure out which way station numbers are getting bigger, and quickly find station Y25. This method was much easier for navigation than in London England, where although I speak the language, it was difficult to find the station I wanted on a map.

buses get numbers and subway get letters. Seems like a logical idea.

Considering our system is comprised of multi-modal options, all on a single fare (heavy rail, subways, RT, streetcars, busses, etc.), I don't really think there is a logical way to brand them outside of just using numbers (ie. there's only 2 dimensions to alphanumeric, but we have many more modes). What I do agree with however, is that I think there needs to be a clearer distinction between what constitutes LRT and streetcar. 500-series lines can be grade-separated, right of way, in traffic and underground, but Line 5 and 6 also follow these rules.

Considering our system is comprised of multi-modal options, all on a single fare (heavy rail, subways, RT, streetcars, busses, etc.), I don't really think there is a logical way to brand them outside of just using numbers (ie. there's only 2 dimensions to alphanumeric, but we have many more modes). What I do agree with however, is that I think there needs to be a clearer distinction between what constitutes LRT and streetcar. 500-series lines can be grade-separated, right of way, in traffic and underground, but Line 5 and 6 also follow these rules.
So the LRT (i.e. Finch or Jane), and the segregated streetcar (i.e. St. Clair or Spadina), and the regular streetcar (i.e. Queen or King) all need a unique numbering system to differential them.
but then a subway and a bus are essentially the same thing and can be numbered similarly .

So the LRT (i.e. Finch or Jane), and the segregated streetcar (i.e. St. Clair or Spadina), and the regular streetcar (i.e. Queen or King) all need a unique numbering system to differential them.
but then a subway and a bus are essentially the same thing and can be numbered similarly .

Bringing back the 600 series for the segregated streetcars would make a lot of sense if we really think it's worthwhile to make the distinction at a route numbering level. There's still the matter of what to do with the numbering if we ever put buses in some form of right of way, but the 1000s wouldn't seem ridiculous. Frankly though it seems a bit overly pedantic; possibly interesting information being conveyed, but not REALLY all that useful for passengers.

Please remind me what Line 7 is?
If you look at that image I posted, it used Line 7 for Finch West. Originally Line 6 was Sheppard East and Line 7 was Finch West, but after Metrolinx deferred Sheppard East again, TTC has been calling Finch West Line 6 and Sheppard East as Line 7 (and recently the Jane LRT as Line 8 with the DRL as Line 3).

For some reason, the Metrolinx graphics for Finch West always keep using 7 instead of 6.

Last edited:
If you look at that image I posted, it used Line 7 for Finch West. Originally Line 6 was Sheppard East and Line 7 was Finch West, but after Metrolinx deferred Sheppard East again, TTC has been calling Finch West Line 6 and Sheppard East as Line 7 (and recently the Jane LRT as Line 8 with the DRL as Line 4).

For some reason, the Metrolinx graphics for Finch West always keep using 7 instead of 6.

Isn't the DRL going to be Line 3? Once the Scarborough line is extended it will change to be part of Line 2, leaving Line 3 open for DRL and Line 4 staying as the Sheppard line.

Back