News   Jul 25, 2024
 427     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 562     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 462     0 

Fight on MUNI bus in SF Chinatown (Youtube video)

^ Though many people disobey that "norm". Stand right, walk left is almost universal. I've seen it in most cities I've visited with escalators. In London UK, they're very disciplined with it. I'm constantly impressed at the order you see within the London Tube.

Escalators: the TTC got rid of their "stand on the right" policy quite a while ago. So it is not reasonable to expect people to stand on the right.

Food wrappings: I see this ocassionally, but unless the floor is completely covered with food wrappings, it says absolutely nothing about the hundreds or thousands of people who were previously on the bus or streetcar that day before you got on.

Newspapers: it is considered common courtesy to leave behind newspapers for others to read.

Cell phones: not often do I hear people shouting into cell phones. It is rare.

People sprawling on seats: see this sometimes, mostly at the back.

Loud music: this is probably the most common annoyance for me. Probably 1 in 10 buses there is one person listening too loud, or listening without headphones.

Newspapers: it is considered common courtesy to leave behind newspapers for others to read.

Well, sort of, in theory. But when you wind up with multiple copies of Metro in one rank of seats, it gets a little ridiculous.

Compounded by newspapers with bits ripped out of them, with food remnants and stains, and just left behind in a slovenly fashion...

I think the reason for the litter problem on transit here is also because there is not enough maintenance workers keeping the stations and buses/trains clean.

In that case, the right person got a can of whoop-ass. :)

I once witnessed a guy throwing McDonalds trash under his seat. He appeared bigger than me but I couldn't contain my contempt for the asshole. I asked him firmly but within the confines of politeness if he thought that throwing his trash under the seat wasn't an affront to every user of the streetcar, including myself who had to deal with his garbage.

He quickly escalated the situation by shouting obscenities at me and left the trash on the floor. During the rest of the trip, every now and then, he would turn around and shout more obscenities at me. I got up, picked him up by the back of his shirt and threw him and most of his trash out the streetcar at the next stop.

Another guy got up when he realized there was going to be a fight but luckily no blood was drawn, only the loser's ego broken. The guy sat back down without having to intervene and told me he was itching to give the other guy a knuckle sandwich.

Transit etiquette is pretty bad in Toronto, hence the new higher fines. Shouting a conversation into phones, leaving trash behind, putting feet on seats, taking up more space than needed, standing in pairs on escalators.... grrrr.... it goes on.

I ended my subscription to the Metropass and mostly walk now, sometimes take a streetcar, hardly ever the subway and joined ZipCar. Problem solved.

you forgot playing loud music

Still I don't see this is a conflict based on race, but I could be wrong (I don't speak Chinese).

But I think it is possible the Chinese woman acted more harshly than she would otherwise have just because the woman is black. All this just because of one seat? C'mon.

In MetroMan's examples, maybe I can understand the anger, but not in this case. Sure, it is rude but not worth fighting over.

Personally, I find the majority of bus passengers to be extremely polite, so I am not going let the occasional douche bag to get under my skin.

Some people just act so uncivilized. All they did was disrupt everyone's day, tend their wounds, and in the end nobody won. It is ridiculous and not worth ruining your day or everyone else's.

I think the reason for the litter problem on transit here is also because there is not enough maintenance workers keeping the stations and buses/trains clean.

I beg to differ as how difficult is it to dispose the trash when you get off? Manners, is a rarity these days. As for the twits who play loud music....I can suggest some nice hearing aids for them later on in life.

Back