News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 665     0 

Feather Factory Lofts (Roncesvalles/Dundas, Plazacorp)

Illegal to Reside at Feather Factory

Hi,

I've just rescinded my offer on a Unit at Feather Factory. If you are planning to live there, I suggest you do the same. The City of Toronto, and the office of Councillor Gord Perks have both confirmed that it is registered as commercial space, only this past May. On top of being illegal, they have not paid the development fees, had an approved site plan or environemntal assessment. There is likely to be substantial cost incurred after the fact. Notice that the word 'residential' appears nowhere in the condo documents.

I thank the gentle that handed out the fliers on Saturday, despite opposition from the Sales Team and the police.

Please feel free to email me, dylwalters@hotmail.com, if you want to verify that I'm not lying.

or call the City of Toronto zoning application officer, Barbara at 416-397-4077 to verify, Barbara.

This does not reflect well on Toronto Lofts Inc. or Plazacorp.

All the best,
Dylan

So the agreement was cleared by my lawyer.

Does anyone know how long rezoning takes?

Also, is zoning for property taxes the same zoning bylaw as for parking?

Which one does MPAC cover?

I don't mean to sound like an ass - but shouldn't your lawyer have been able to answer these questions for you?

If I had dealings with my lawyer and ended up walking away with unanswered questions, i'd be hunting for a new one. If (s)he doesn't have answers, I would worry about the level of knowledge going into clearing that agreement.

Just my opinion.

Hi,

I've just rescinded my offer on a Unit at Feather Factory. If you are planning to live there, I suggest you do the same. The City of Toronto, and the office of Councillor Gord Perks have both confirmed that it is registered as commercial space, only this past May. On top of being illegal, they have not paid the development fees, had an approved site plan or environemntal assessment. There is likely to be substantial cost incurred after the fact. Notice that the word 'residential' appears nowhere in the condo documents.

I thank the gentle that handed out the fliers on Saturday, despite opposition from the Sales Team and the police.

Please feel free to email me, dylwalters@hotmail.com, if you want to verify that I'm not lying.

or call the City of Toronto zoning application officer, Barbara at 416-397-4077 to verify, Barbara.

All the best,
Dylan

Very interesting!

I want to know more about the flyers that were being handed out - any chance of a scan?

Was it you giving them out Sharkey? :D

I will try to scan the flier and post tomorrow. For more information, call the office of Gord Perks, they are very helpful. I'm sure the Sales Team will plead innocence, but we felt completely assured that this building was registered as a Residential Condominium and livable.

All the best,
Dylan

Very interesting!

I want to know more about the flyers that were being handed out - any chance of a scan?

Was it you giving them out Sharkey? :D
INDEX

P1 index

P2 buyer beware

P3 notice re parking

P4 notice re parking, stove shower, garbage, fire exit & storage

P5& 6 final e-mail to Councilor Perks & Birdlike’s comments

P7 postings from Urban Toronto members

P8 9 10 listings on Craig’s & Kijiji offering a unit for rent with availability of “permit parking”

P11 a buyer’s posting re “rescinded offer” & contact #’s

BUYERS BEWARE. THESE LOFTS ARE ZONED FOR COMMERCIAL USE & NOT RESIDENTIAL USE

THE FEATHER FACTORY LOFTS

TO THE NEIGHBOUR HOOD: IF YOU DO NOT APPROVE OF THIS ILLEGAL CONVERSION, CALL YOUR COUNCILLOR.

2154 DUNDAS STREET WEST @ RITCHIE

COMMERCIAL/STUDIO/
OFFICE RENTALS CONVERSION TO RESIDENTIAL LOFTS

NO REZONING APPLICATION WAS SUBMITTED TO ALLOW THIS CONVERSION

IF THEY ARE IN FACT MARKETED AND SOLD AS RESIDENTIAL LOFTS, THE OWNERS WILL HAVE ACCESS TO OVERNIGHT PARKING WHICH COULD POSSIBLY BRING 40 TO 60 MORE CARS PARKED IN OUR NEIGHBOURHOOD

2154 DUNDAS STREET WEST @ RITCHIE

COMMERCIAL/STUDIO/
OFFICE RENTALS ILLEGAL CONVERSION TO RESIDENTIAL LOFTS

NO REZONING APPLICATION WAS SUBMITTED TO ALLOW THIS CONVERSION

THEY ARE IN FACT MARKETED AND SOLD AS RESIDENTIAL LOFTS, WITH NO PARKING, NO STOVE & NO SHOWER, NO GARBAGE RECYCLING, NO STORAGE LOCKER

WITH BARS ON THE WINDOWS, HOW DO THE RESIDENTS ESCAPE IN CASE OF A FIRE?

9/11/2008

Councilor Gord Perks – Toronto City Hall

Re The Feather Factory Lofts

Dear Councilor Perks,

The Feather Factory Lofts had their Grand Opening this past weekend. 60% of the units were tentatively sold on Saturday & by 3.00 PM on Sunday, when I attended as an interested buyer, there were only about one dozen units left. I spent a lot of time there asking questions and listening to the buyers and sales staff interact.

As I suspected, I never heard any interested party ask why there was no stove, no showers and what the situation was with parking (buyers don’t look at these “small” details). I asked the questions and the answers were as follows:

Parking: “No parking in the building, but street “permit parking” is available.”
Your staff did assure me that no “street parking permits” would be available as theses units are supposed to be commercial studio/office space & not to be used as residences under the current zoning. See NB at end

No stove: “The developer is giving a $1,000.00 credit for “The Brick” to allow purchasers to select the appliance of their choice. If they don’t want a stove they can spend it at the Brick as they please.”
Your staff did assure me that no stove would be installed in the building due to current zoning regulations.

No exhaust for stove: “The exhaust is run through the microwave oven situated over the stove.”

No shower: “The lofts are zoned for studios/office and as such would not require a shower. For those requiring a shower, it will be installed by the developer.” Later I heard a sales associate tell a couple that the developer will also install a clothes washer/dryer for those requesting it.
Your staff informed me that one of the criteria indicating that these were not residential lofts, was that there was no shower or bathtub.

Garbage: There is a garbage chute on each floor. I still have no clue how it will be separated for food waste, recyclables and regular garbage. Considering the City’s major commitment forcing all residents of the City to take a “pro active” position on recycling and garbage disposal, it seems somewhat ludicrous that a project (be it commercial or residential) is given approval with no recycling and sorting facilities.

Fire Exits: How is it possible that the windows in all basement units have bars on them? What is the escape route for these residents should a fire erupt. What of the other floors? Where is the fire escape?

Councilor,

You indicated in your phone call left on my voice mail Thursday of the past week, that “you were on top of the situation”, taking it “very very seriously” to ensure all City by -laws, rules and regulations will be followed up on by City staff to ensure that this building will be a commercial studio/office loft project as it is zoned to be, not a residential illegal conversion.

At this point, since all “allegations” brought to your attention many weeks ago now have all proven to not be allegations, but fact, what is your position, & how will you resolve this situation? I would think that considering what I was told by your staff at City Hall and that if all their stated facts are correct, that one would ensure that all the purchasers who have signed a tentative offer to purchase be immediately advised that they have bought a studio/office loft & that they will not be allowed to occupy them as residences.

Because of your past assurances that this development would not become a residential loft, I have abstained from bringing this to the attention of my neighbors and residents of our area, but rest assured that this will be done in the immediate future should I not be satisfied that this illegal conversion will not be permitted.

NB: Here's a summary of Edwin Brdlik’s (Exclusive Agent for Feather Factory) ((Toronto Lofts Realty Corp)) comments to questions about the parking situation:

"Some disgruntled former tenant is trying to start trouble. He's a bad apple & a nut. We had "permit parking" a week ago & now the developer is having talks with the City to straighten this out. The City is just going through the motions. This area has the largest amount of parking available in the City so there's no reason we shouldn't get allowances as there is ample parking available. In the meantime, you can park at Loblaws”.

2154 Dundas Street West Edit Building
Posted to riley @ Urban Toronto
It's at the corner of Dundas & Roncesvalles. They are marketing them as lofts starting Labour Day weekend.
Funny thing though the City says they are not residential lofts as the building is zoned commercial.
That is why, the tenants could do nothing, when they were evicted "en masse", as the apartments they rented only had commercial leases and were not protected by the Landlord & Tenant act.
Now the City says they are going to be sold as commercial lofts with No parking, No showers & No stoves.
I suspect they will be sold as commercial loft/offices only to be subsequently converted to live-in loft- office- residence.
Something smells!!!!

Toronto craigslist > city of Toronto > apts/housing for rent

Brand New 1 bdrm LOFT at Feather Factory Lofts! (Bloor/Dundas W)

Reply to: hous-832468840@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-09-12, 11:33AM EDT

Feather Factory Lofts - Brand New Loft Building - Be the first to move in!

Second Floor
Beautiful Century Old Building
Boutique building with just 44 lofts
original factory wood ceilings - 14ft!
original exposed wood beams
exposed brick walls
huge double glazed windows
stainless steel counter tops
new appliances
washer/dryer included
bicycle storage
Available Nov 1st, 2008 - Viewings start Oct. 16th
Don't judge sq feet - feels like a lot more because its a high ceiling loft!

1300/month all inclusive - one year lease.

Permit street parking available.
In Roncesvalles Village, minute walk to Dundas W station.
Near Loblaws, Beer Store, High Park, Bloor West Village, Starbucks! It's basically the best area of the city!

Call me if you're interested - only serious calls please
William
416-999-1829

email me at
william_ashman@telus.blackberry.net

the address is 2154 dundas st. w

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 832468840

Kijiji Toronto > housing > apartments for rent > 1 bedroom

1 bdrm BRAND NEW LOFT! All incl. Feather Factory Lofts - Nov. 1
Price: $1,300.00
Ad ID: 74327089
Visits: 112
Street address: 2154 Dundas St. W, Toronto, Ontario View map
Date Listed: 14-Sep-08

Feather Factory Lofts - Brand New Loft Building - Be the first to move in!

Second Floor
Beautiful Century Old Building
Boutique building with just 44 lofts
original factory wood ceilings - 14ft!
original exposed wood beams
exposed brick walls
huge double glazed windows
stainless steel counter tops
new appliances
washer/dryer included
bicycle storage
Available Nov 1st, 2008 - Viewings start Oct. 16th
Don't judge sq feet - feels like a lot more because its a high ceiling loft!

1300/month all inclusive - one year lease.

Permit street parking available.
In Roncesvalles Village, minute walk to Dundas W station.
Near Loblaws, Beer Store, High Park, Bloor West Village, Starbucks! It's basically the best area of the city!

Call me if you're interested - only serious calls please
William
416-999-1829

email me at
william_ashman@telus.blackberry.net

the address is 2154 dundas st. w

Images

View larger image

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylwalters
Hi,

I've just rescinded my offer on a Unit at Feather Factory. If you are planning to live there, I suggest you do the same. The City of Toronto and the office of Councilor Gord Perks have both confirmed that it is registered as commercial space, only this past May. On top of being illegal, they have not paid the development fees, had an approved site plan or environmental assessment. There is likely to be substantial cost incurred after the fact. Notice that the word 'residential' appears nowhere in the condo documents.

All the best,
Dylan
Very interesting!

This is all about parking in the neighborhood. I cannot see how Ritchie, Herman, Golden etc. can accommodate 48 more cars. Councilor Perks can be reached at 416-392-0202 or councillor_perks@toronto.ca

Plenty of free parking in Zellers/Loblaws lot...:p

DSC00691.jpg

Taken yesterday, I noticed over 60 free parking spaces available in the shopping parking lot!

Did anyone go the past weekend? Are there a lot of units left?

We were there on Saturday, a couple had rescinded since Saturday the 5th (first day on Sale), and since then, I am aware of a few more to rescind: ourselves, and the gentleman with the rental postings on craigslist/kijiji has since rescind as well (same postings as above). I would then guess 50-60% sold, assuming others aren't aware of the new developments. The City of Toronto said they have no power to get the buyer information to warn them of this controversy - Toronto Lofts must be keeping that info tight.

Thanks for posting the flier above.

We were there on Saturday, a couple had rescinded since Saturday the 5th (first day on Sale), and since then, I am aware of a few more to rescind: ourselves, and the gentleman with the rental postings on craigslist/kijiji has since rescind as well (same postings as above). I would then guess 50-60% sold, assuming others aren't aware of the new developments. The City of Toronto said they have no power to get the buyer information to warn them of this controversy - Toronto Lofts must be keeping that info tight.

Thanks for posting the flier above.

Did the sales people at the feather factory say anything when you rescinded? Did they try to explain what was going on with the zoning?

HAHA.. im still interested even with all these issues being brought up.. i know i wont be able to get parking and as long as its not illegal to reside here (which it seems it might be)... i still think the building and units are quite nice...

Back