868     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 624     0 

ezBoard: A farewell salute

• Thread starter Sir Novelty Fashion
  • Start date
S

Sir Novelty Fashion

Is this thread in the wrong forum entirely? Yes! Does it matter? No! Why not? Because this whole place is going to be toast! And because I wanted to put this in the forum that people actually, you know, read. Please bear with me, mods.

I wanted to take a moment to pay tribute to ezBoard before we move to some strange new software.

Yes, ezBoard: the blue hoarding of my Internet life. You were big, you were ugly, and you were around a lot longer than you were supposed to be - but we posted stuff all over you all the same.

Now, as we dismantle you to reveal a half-built high-tech monstrosity that someone's been building for years behind the scenes, we pay tribute to you, for doing what you do best: continuing to exist.

So here's to you, http://p083.ezboard.com/btorontoskyscraperforum. Truly, a historic site.

You know what: I do not mind ezboard. I found the forum, while not perfect, easy to read and easy to use. I am sure the new will be better, but I am not kicking and screaming to leave.

I found the forum

That's the most important part of your post. The problem is many others tried to sign up for the forum but ezboard wouldn't let them for whatever reason. The move is important because that issue will now be rectified.

And once the move is completed I intend to start a campaign to increase awareness of urbantoronto.ca. I'd like to have many more members and the campaign will initially focus on architects, developers, city officials, planners, critics, artists and others that play an important part in this city.

Once the move is done I'll encourage current members to also get the word out.

Sybil: [holding out a copy of Country Life] What's this?
Basil: I decided, Sybil, to advertise. I...
Sybil: How much did it cost?
Basil: Oh... I haven't... fifteen?
Sybil: Forty.
Basil: [vaguely] ... Forty...
Sybil: I have *told* you where we advertise.
Basil: Sybil, I *know* the hotel business.
Sybil: No you don't, Basil.
Basil: Sybil, we've got to try to attract a better class of person.
Sybil: Why?
Basil: Well, we're losing *tone*.
Sybil: We're making money.
Basil: Yes, yes...
Sybil: Just.
Basil: Yes, but now we can try to build up a higher class of clientele! ...Turn away some
of the riff-raff.
Sybil: So long as they pay their bills, Basil.

All three of the people I convinced to sign up - two writers and a designer - failed to do so and gave up in frustration.

Well I joined in March 14, 2002 according to my profile. I'm going to miss gigantic post count I accumulated in those 5 years.

*posts a long, tearful goodbye that gets eaten by the 'logged out' monster when I hit send*

Feels like the scene in Titanic where the ship is pointing straight down and they're all clinging to the stern, waiting ...

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that UT does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here on the forum
And the forum will go on and on

( and on and on and on and on and on and ... )

... also a bit like that most Toronto Style ( :D ) of movies, Last Night ...

( meaning that in film, as in all our other forms of cultural expression, our style is a reflection of our substance ).

Back