News   Apr 26, 2024
 148     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 159     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 587     0 

Exposed Concrete ceilings and walls in new condos??

from my experiences it seems like concrete pretty uch stops airborne noise.

Physics would agree with you

Impact noise is a different story. Would be great if there was a way to block that out somehow.

resilient flooring. Neighbours who don't hammer on the walls, women who don't walk like elephants in high heeled shoes.

A longtime friend of mine bought three units in a loft conversion about 15 years ago and combined them into a large two level suite. He went for the concrete ceilings/floors and a few feature walls and it looked great. The problem was noise. After a multi-year battle with him complaining about neighbours noise and neighbours complaining about his noise he sold.
I live in a building that was built just before drywall became the norm in apartments (early 1970's), so it's plaster on concrete. It's also terrible for noise transmission.

A longtime friend of mine bought three units in a loft conversion about 15 years ago and combined them into a large two level suite. He went for the concrete ceilings/floors and a few feature walls and it looked great. The problem was noise. After a multi-year battle with him complaining about neighbours noise and neighbours complaining about his noise he sold.
I live in a building that was built just before drywall became the norm in apartments (early 1970's), so it's plaster on concrete. It's also terrible for noise transmission.

That sucks. I'm sure he spent a bunch of money. That's unfortunate. I have noticed no noise transmission from units next door. My noise comes from above and below. Below is music but it's fairly low and nothing that bothers me. My only noise issue comes from above. The barefoot stomping is bad. Drowns out the TV. I think the solution is to a) find a place that has or can accommodate a drop down ceiling or find a penthouse unit. I like the loft look but it's not the most practical.

My concrete coffin (it's about the size of one, for real) is amazing for keeping noise out (though, in my case, in is more apt).

That sucks. I'm sure he spent a bunch of money.

I don't know what he paid but he does well and could afford it, but he did get soaked when he sold because the developer had gone bust before the conversion was complete so there were lawyers involved, incomplete common areas and such so if I recall, it wasn't an easy sale. He bought a house after that in Leslieville & did a full renovation, I'd imagine he's made his money back in equity since then.
I really think that a sacrifice should be made for people who like concrete features, either on the floors (more ideally) or soundproofing the ceiling along with any shared walls with other units. Just my 2¢.

What are people's thoughts on Brad Lamb's exposed concrete ceiling and walls? I went into a (The) King East unit and was horrified at the ceiling. It looked more unfinished then "raw" (but finished). I don't know how to explain except that I felt as if concrete dust would be raining down (not sure if it actually does - to be fair, the unit itself was quite clean and well furnished). I'm hoping to pop by Theatre Park to see another sampling but so far I'm not impressed. The sales agent said it could be dry walled, but you would lose some height, or some sort of skimming it so it's flat and white.

Many many years ago I visited a friend with exposed concrete ceiling and it was gorgeous, it looked like it was polished or sealed with a blu-ish tint(?) (that blue-tint could be senility affecting my memory).

What are people's thoughts on Brad Lamb's exposed concrete ceiling and walls? I went into a (The) King East unit and was horrified at the ceiling. It looked more unfinished then "raw" (but finished). I don't know how to explain except that I felt as if concrete dust would be raining down (not sure if it actually does - to be fair, the unit itself was quite clean and well furnished). I'm hoping to pop by Theatre Park to see another sampling but so far I'm not impressed. The sales agent said it could be dry walled, but you would lose some height, or some sort of skimming it so it's flat and white.

Many many years ago I visited a friend with exposed concrete ceiling and it was gorgeous, it looked like it was polished or sealed with a blu-ish tint(?) (that blue-tint could be senility affecting my memory).
There is exposed concrete and exposed concrete. If done properly it looks fantastic, if not it looks like shit. If concrete is meant to be exposed it needs to be mixed correctly, poured very carefully and can certainly be polished. It should almost always be sealed.

Back