News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Expo 2015 Update Today

Re: expo

Very disappointing. It's very frustrating to be consistently screwed over by the federal and provincial governments, year after year. I also wish Miller would've taken more ownership of this and really pushed it earlier.

I'm with spmarshall - time for an Angry Miller who'll do whatever it takes to get stuff done.

It's really quite embarassing they couldn't get this, the best opportunity Toronto has had to hold a major international ever had. Could've really provided some great infrastructure.

Re: expo --sympathies

I think a lot of people over estimate how much of the money towards Expo would actually go towards infrastructure.

It would be 7 years expontential growth in jobs. Alot of good paying jobs, local business and foreign money used.

If Daltons team didnt like the plan, they shouldve taken some ownership to it, knowing they had the final word.

The only thing he can do to redeem himself is the gardiner starting demolition and new transit line within the next year or world cup finals 2014!

BTW, Miller couldve been more organized.

^People seem so quick to blame the government(s) but why is it all their fault? Maybe if the Expo bid team had done a better job getting the publics interest and support and getting more citizens putting pressure on the local, provincial, and federal governments the bid would have had an easier time getting the financial backing it needed? I followed the bid process for the 2008 Olympics when Toronto bidded as well as the 2010 Olympics from the early days when Vancouver and Quebec were battling it out and the public interest and support that was there in those bids really seemed to be lacking from this Expo bid.

Re: expo --sympathies

I think the Expo team actually did a fine job.

With any bidding process, the real work, including engaging the public doesn't begin until you actually formally submit a bid. With this case, it would have started today.

Miller and Dalton really dropped the ball on this one and the blame should lie with both of them. The two governments that funded the $2 million report equally over a year ago and had all this time to sort this all out.

Louroz

^Well considering you were part of the Expo team and a huge supporter of the project it is little surprise you think everyone did a fine job.

And maybe it is just my own perspective but when you have a project such as Expo that would have required a commitment of $2 Billion (minimum) of public money, then engaging the public and gaining the support of all the citizens who are ultimately going to be paying for the event should probably begin at the earliest stage possible. And now, or the past year would have been a perfect time since any commitment made today would have to ultimately be viewed as money spent. Any public support that happens after money has been secured really amounts to little more than cheerleading and trying to scream louder than your opposition to try to get the attention of the IOC or whatever group you are trying to impress.

"Remember Toronto's 2008 Olympic Bid? What happended to the $1.5 billion that was suppose to come regardless of the bid?"

It's like the funding for levee improvements in New Orleans the past few decades...a million this year, a million next year, and the remaining 99% will come after the end of the world.

"a failed Expo bid is going to have to little or no affect on Canada's international reputation."

Turkey's laughing at us...but we always laugh at them because they're named after a very silly species of bird.

"Let's become a province."

So what city would become capital of the rest of Ontario? Kingston's a logical choice, but Moosonee would be a fun choice. Vaughan, maybe?

"We're stuck with second tier events like Dragon Boat championships and under 20 world cups."

'Second tier' is generous...

As long as Toronto can keep producing icons like Peaches, it don't need no sappy dorky World's Fairs
promo02-peaches.jpg

Although I love the idea of a province of Ontario (or GTA, or Golden Horseshoe), at first I would at least like to see a strong advocate for the city who's able to clearly express what the real problems are. Why are we so lacking for such a person?

"So what city would become capital of the rest of Ontario? Kingston's a logical choice, but Moosonee would be a fun choice."

Apparently Orillia was at one time planned to be a new capital for Ontario. It could give Sudbury something to live for. Maybe they could go for the geographic centre... somewhere around Hearst.

I'm going to call Miller on it if I see him like I often do having his morning coffee.

I think he could have been a better leader, but would that have changed the outcome? The province stuck its feet in cement and didn't budge.

Anyone think this might alter the mayoral race, like the Madrid train bombings altered the Spanish presidential race?

I don't.

It may not, but I have little doubt that Jane Pitfield and Prof. Fink will exploit it and try to make it a last minute election issue.

"Anyone think this might alter the mayoral race, like the Madrid train bombings altered the Spanish presidential race?
I don't."

Depends. If the 600 people that vote in municipal elections are the same 600 people that care about Expo, then all bets are off.

"As long as Toronto can keep producing icons like Peaches, it don't need no sappy dorky World's Fairs"

Anyone really upset about losing Expo should do as Peaches says and **** the pain away.

Either that or get their kids onto soccer teams so that we might win hosting duties for a World Cup some day, a prerequisite for which is, presumably, a respectable national soccer team.

I'm with adma. Expos are hardly high profile world events anymore and I wonder how many Torontonians even knew the city was in the running. But, yes, I would like to see an Angry Miller - angry at the senior levels of government for continuing to deprive Toronto of much-needed funds, not angry about failing to support a potentially money-losing endeavour.

Toronto is not getting expo. It's not getting funds for expo. It's not getting funds from the federal government. It is not getting funds from the provincial government. It is not getting strong support from any level government. It is experiencing a listless municipal election, experiencing a disinterested provincial government, an oposition filled with lip service, is ignored by a uninterested federal government, and the economy is flattening. It is not going to get the world cup, nor will it get the Olympics because, when push comes to shove, there is fear, disinterest and/or a listless attitude towards these things. Toronto is a city that does not know what it wants to be when it grows up. In a way, it is adolescent.

Toronto is not getting expo. It's not getting funds for expo. It's not getting funds from the federal government. It is not getting funds from the provincial government. It is not getting strong support from any level government. It is experiencing a listless municipal election, experiencing a disinterested provincial government, an oposition filled with lip service, is ignored by a uninterested federal government, and the economy is flattening. It is not going to get the world cup, nor will it get the Olympics because, when push comes to shove, there is fear, disinterest and/or a listless attitude towards these things. Toronto is a city that does not know what it wants to be when it grows up. In a way, it is adolescent.

I would say the attitude towards the last two Olympic Bids was far from listless. Toronto was widely considered to have had the best bid for 2008.

The Expo Bid must be submitted by the nation rather than the city and higher levels of government must ensure funding or they won't consider a bid. I don't think you can chalk up this missed opportunity to some sort of immature attitude.

If the higher level of governments had got their act together we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Back