News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Thanks AlbertC, for reminding me of that area of Toronto.
General Electric had a large concentration of manufacturing plants on both sides of Lansdowne, from Dupont to Davenport. It's where I had my first job.
Here's an aerial photo of the GE complex in 1953.
View attachment 220773

Those former GE lands now contain dozens of town homes (called Davenport Village) and some lofts in refurbished GE factory buildings.
I was particularly surprised to find that the huge, former foundry building is now called The Foundry Lofts……here's a current photo of that structure (near Davenport Rd.).
View attachment 220775

I made this photo inside that foundry c.1952.
View attachment 220776

Small world! I actually grew up in the area, several blocks east along Davenport, so I'm very familiar with the former GE buildings. I even live in one of the townhouse units in Davenport Village currently.

Apart from the Foundry Lofts building along Lansdowne that is preserved and converted, there's also a couple other original buildings on the interior that have been maintained.

The first one below is now converted into a Balzac's coffee shop, along with future restaurant space. The second one was the former sales centre for the condos/townhouses of the whole community. It's been underused for a while now, but recently they've put up for lease listings.

1576625109480.png

1576625139659.png

Kew Beach Public School, Kippendavie Ave., east side, south of Queen St. E. 1910 TPL
Kew Beach Public School, Kippendavie Ave., east side, south of Queen St. E. 1910  TPL.jpg

This image appears to be the same group as posted previously (above), but is much sharper and the caption is quite different.
Kew Beach Presbyterian Church Sunday School teachers, mothers and students, possibly at 88 Balsam Avenue, west side, between Queen Street East and Pine Ave. 1910 TPL
Kew Beach Presbyterian Church Sunday School teachers, mothers and students, possibly at 88 Bal...jpg

Two more fascinating group photos from early 20th century.

Group of young adults, possibly connected with Kew Beach Presbyterian Church 1911 TPL
Group of young adults, possibly connected with Kew Beach Presbyterian Church 1911  TPL.jpg

Tennis team at tennis courts, Riverdale Park, Broadview Avenue, west side, opposite Tennis Crescent 1913 TPL
Tennis team (two) at tennis courts, Riverdale Park, Broadview Avenue, west side, opposite Tenn...jpg

The former Hungarian House at St. Clair West & Winona:

Also the original Shaarei Shomayim Synagogue, built in 1947, designed by Kaplan & Sprachman. When the City was approached about its demolition, neither Heritage Preservation Services nor the Ward Councillor Joe Mihevic thought it worthy of preservation. Shame on both parties.
View attachment 220762

I was in the HCCC years ago around the year 2000 and at that point there was not much any heritage value left. The HCCC housed offices, classrooms, a restaurant, an Auditorium and a ballroom. Not much left that was original.

From the Toronto Archives with the description:

"File consists of a photograph of Toronto by William Notman & Son, Montreal, looking south-west [from south of Gerrard and Jarvis streets]. Before 1891."

A4C7FCFD-F8CD-48E0-AB70-C8ED86B0188E-1219-0000032D11D95D79.jpg

Back