News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 658     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Vanity Fair - Toronto Exhibition 1900 TPL
Inscription on verso - Vanity Fair - Toronto Exhibition 1900 TPL.jpg

Last edited:
zanthope wrote on "Scarborough-photographs-then-and-now" (Aug. 13, 2013, page 16):
In post 223 of this thread, I told of a poor kid that lived on Commonwealth who unfortunately lived in a shacky sort of a home with an outhouse out back."

He posted these three photos of the property (114 Commonwealth Ave.) as it existed in 2013. Amazingly, that property was much the same 5 years later when this Google image was produced.

There must be quite a story behind this, apparently abandoned property.

Old Shack.jpg

Looking east along Esplanade E. towards the Gooderham & Worts Distillery at Parliament St. 1894 TPL
View attachment 206778
There are massive amounts of cordwood piled in the yard at Elias Rogers, and also on some of the fuel wharves. Cordwood was still used on a significant scale in 1894. You needed 5-7 tone of coal and a cord or wood to heat your house in winter. But this photo shows just how much space that cordwood took up. Elias Rogers, by the way, was a key supplier of coal to the gas works.

And those of us who are old enough will recall the time when home owners in Toronto regularly had bags of coal delivered each year for their furnaces. Usually dumped thru a basement window into a "coal bin."

And those of us who are old enough will recall the time when home owners in Toronto regularly had bags of coal delivered each year for their furnaces. Usually dumped thru a basement window into a "coal bin."

I remember many buildings were COVERED with black soot because of the coal. Some people PAINTED their houses to cover the soot.

People upgraded their heating systems away from coal. Over time, people cleaned or sandblasted their buildings and houses to bring out the original colour of the bricks or blocks underneath. Unfortunately, some of the underneath material was not in good condition, resulting in (at worst) demolition, or (at best) brick replacement (if they could find them).

I remember many buildings were COVERED with black soot because of the coal. Some people PAINTED their houses to cover the soot.

People upgraded their heating systems away from coal. Over time, people cleaned or sandblasted their buildings and houses to bring out the original colour of the bricks or blocks underneath. Unfortunately, some of the underneath material was not in good condition, resulting in (at worst) demolition, or (at best) brick replacement (if they could find them).
I believe much of the upgrading from coal home-heating took place in the 1940s when oil-burners became an economical replacement.
It wasn't until much later that natural gas heating became commonplace. It certainly appears to be the standard today.
In recent years when sandblasting was used to remove the black soot coatings, we were often amazed by the beauty of the underlying brick and stone work.

One of the first things my dad did when we bought our house near Finch and Bathurst in 1956 was to convert the coal furnace to oil. The burner was installed where the ash clean-out was and a blower box cut into the back. We still had to contend with the large, round sloping ducts ('octopus') that were legacy from gravity/convection coal furnace. We lived with the wooden coal crib for a few more years. All of that was still in place when I left home in 1973.

Wonder if anyone has old photos of their basements, with and without coal furnaces or boilers?

Doubtful, because taking such photos with film cameras would be considered a "waste" and expensive back then. Then lighting in the basement would be terrible as well.

Back