News   Jun 27, 2024
 249     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 487     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 300     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Students at Danforth Park Public School in 1935 - during the "Great Depression."
There's are unique lessons to be learned by anyone interested enough to research these sad times.

Danforth Park School 1935.png

Attachments

• Danforth Park School 1935.png
    Danforth Park School 1935.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,948

Attachments

• corduroy road discovered in Waterloo Ont.jpg
    corduroy road discovered in Waterloo Ont.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,495
Last edited:
Students at Danforth Park Public School in 1935 - during the "Great Depression."
There's are unique lessons to be learned by anyone interested enough to research these sad times.

View attachment 73248
Read a lot about the 1929 > depression , absolutely heart breaking story's , and man's inhumanity to his fellow man,Most of these kids would be long gone by now, i just hope that the remainder of their lives were a little bit kinder.

^Definitely. One of my favourite books in undergrad was Katrina Srigley's Breadwinning Daughters, about women during the Depression. There's some great stories in there, including my favourite about a middle class woman attending U of T during the Depression. She tried to attend a physics class, only to find the professor and his male students had barricaded the door. The men then went on to scream, "Go away you little Victoria angels! Go back to Vic and enroll in the Household Economics course! We don't want you in math and physics!" Not quite what @Goldie was thinking of but its an absurd and amusing story that reminds me of how far we've come since then, not just economically.

9113  1972 01 00  TRAINING COACH FROM INSIDE AUTO (REAR)    TOM SHEPHERD copy.jpg
Ok sleuths, this one has stumped me and a friend who checked the former trolley coach routes. Four lane street with grassy boulevards and substantial houses. I thought Annette around High Park but no. My friend thought Mt. Pleasant but couldn't place it. The scene is from January 1972 and the photographer also took shots along the Ossington route that day. No prize for this but I'd certainly appreciate any help with placing it. The side street has a NO HEAVY TRUCKS sign and that's the only signage visible in the pic. I figured the sharp eyes and memories in this forum would be able to locate it if anyone could. Thanks!

Of transit interest this was just about the end for the old Can-Car Brill trolleys as the refurbishing and re-bodying program was getting close to finishing which is probably why the photographer was chasing it.

Attachments

• 9113  1972 01 00  TRAINING COACH FROM INSIDE AUTO (REAR)    TOM SHEPHERD copy.jpg
    9113 1972 01 00 TRAINING COACH FROM INSIDE AUTO (REAR) TOM SHEPHERD copy.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 999
Last edited:
View attachment 82025 Ok sleuths, this one has stumped me and a friend who checked the former trolley coach routes. Four lane street with grassy boulevards and substantial houses. I thought Annette around High Park but no. My friend thought Mt. Pleasant but couldn't place it. The scene is from January 1972 and the photographer also took shots along the Ossington route that day. No prize for this but I'd certainly appreciate any help with placing it. The side street has a NO HEAVY TRUCKS sign and that's the only signage visible in the pic. I figured the sharp eyes and memories in this forum would be able to locate it if anyone could. Thanks!

Of transit interest this was just about the end for the old Can-Car Brill trolleys as the refurbishing and re-bodying program was getting close to finishing which is probably why the photographer was chasing it.

I’m pretty sure it’s Mt. Pleasant Rd. looking north at Dinnick Cres.

S24 1944 12 12 POSSIBLY COLLEGE ST UNKNOWN.jpg

With the heat and humidity going strong, here's something to cool things down: the great storm of 1944. Not sure where this is although I have a couple of other pictures from the College & Bay area so I'm guessing it's further west on College St with the three-storey commercial buildings. If anyone can place it, please do.

Attachments

• S24 1944 12 12 POSSIBLY COLLEGE ST UNKNOWN.jpg
    S24 1944 12 12 POSSIBLY COLLEGE ST UNKNOWN.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,333
I've always been intrigued by the street (Winchester) that comes to an abrupt end at the Riverdale Farm (formerly the Toronto Zoo). The street once curved to the north as it went downhill into the Don Valley, crossing two rail lines and the Don River. It went N/E to meet Danforth at Broadview. The last few yards of Winchester, before it ended at Danforth, is now a northbound entrance to the Don Valley Parkway (Now named: Royal Dr.). Winchester St. was closed when the the Bayview Extension and DVP were given rights-of-way thru the valley.

The original route of Winchester is seen on maps as early as 1851.

map 1851.jpg

Here is the road as it curved down into the valley alongside the Zoo.

Winchester at zoo 1907.jpg

And this is the same area today (closed and overgrown) as it abruptly ends at the Bayview Extension (photos thanks to Rudy (r937) and his exploratory talents).

winchester-street-looking-east by r937.jpg

Winchester Dr. -end- by Rudy Limeback.jpg

This is where the Bayview road is today - built upon an old belt-line right-of-way (photos c.1900).

Winchester St, c.1900.jpg

Map - 1916
map-Winchester St. 1916.jpg

Aerial today (thanks to Google)
aerial - Winchester St. at Riverdale farm showing original route.jpg

Winchester Bridge over the Don River in 1909 and 1915.
Winchester St. Bridge 1909.jpg

Winchester St bridge 1915.jpg

Attachments

• map 1851.jpg
    map 1851.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,143
  • Winchester at zoo 1907.jpg
    Winchester at zoo 1907.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 1,169
  • winchester-street-looking-east by r937.jpg
    winchester-street-looking-east by r937.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Winchester Dr. -end- by Rudy Limeback.jpg
    Winchester Dr. -end- by Rudy Limeback.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Winchester St, c.1900.jpg
    Winchester St, c.1900.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 1,200
  • map-Winchester St. 1916.jpg
    map-Winchester St. 1916.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 1,211
  • aerial - Winchester St. at Riverdale farm showing original route.jpg
    aerial - Winchester St. at Riverdale farm showing original route.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Winchester St. Bridge 1909.jpg
    Winchester St. Bridge 1909.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 1,235
  • Winchester St bridge 1915.jpg
    Winchester St bridge 1915.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 1,206
thanks for the mention, goldie ;)

that yellow line you drew seems to cut right across the Don Branch rail line immediately after crossing the river... in fact, Winchester continued on the left (west) side of that rail line for a few dozen metres, and then went under it! (see my feeble MSPain drawing skills in attached sketch)

this Winchester Street subway looking west Toronto Archives pic shows the underpass looking west, which made me wonder what that bridge in the background is... playing around with Toronto Historic Maps, i think it's one of the bridges of the 1892-1894 Belt Line Railway, it still there in 1903 but gone by 1913

anyhow, that underpass is still there, as is the roadbed that ran on the west side of the rail line

in fact, the underpass, which is used by the Lower Don Bike Trail, is currently undergoing a rebuild to decrease its angle and improve the sight lines

winchester-to-belleville-underpass.jpg

Attachments

• winchester-to-belleville-underpass.jpg
    winchester-to-belleville-underpass.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 1,166
Great pics - there was a long discussion of Winchester Street 'somewhere' on UT about 3 years ago. MAYBE in this thread, maybe by you? If the "Search" facility were better .....

Back