News   Apr 23, 2024
 252     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 335     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 568     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Err.. I think I'll move on out of this thread. Some interesting old pics though.

Shall we change directions a bit?

The First Miss Toronto Contest, Sunnyside 1926:

beauty1926d.jpg

beauty1926b.jpg

beauty1926a.jpg

beauty1926.jpg

beauty1926c.jpg

Yeah, I can see those Don Cherry-loving pro-Ford message-board-posting South Park Republicans seeing those 1926 Miss Toronto pictures and thinking they could pass for 2011 at the Gladstone or Dufferin Grove or whatever. Y'know, as in, that's what lefty pinkos think is "female beauty"

"Yeah, I can see those Don Cherry-loving pro-Ford message-board-posting South Park Republicans seeing those 1926 Miss Toronto pictures and thinking they could pass for 2011 at the Gladstone or Dufferin Grove or whatever. Y'know, as in, that's what lefty pinkos think is "female beauty"."
QUOTE adma.

My God!

Give prunes a chance.
(LOL)

Regards,
J T

I really don't think that was Ned Hanlan.

Shall we change directions a bit?

The First Miss Toronto Contest, Sunnyside 1926:
beauty1926b.jpg

This photo also appears as a postcard in Toronto Flashbacks 2, a collection of Toronto archival photos selected by Mike Filey. Filey's note on the postcard reads:

"Selected as the city's first "official" Miss Toronto in the summer of 1926, Jean Ford went on to enter the Miss USA competition in Atlantic City later that year. Organizers there refused her the title since she had been born outside the country."

In "I remember Sunnyside" Filey further writes:

"... the judges selected Jean Ford Tolmie, a tall, dark-eyed beauty who lived with her parents at 5 Shannon Street in the Ossington Avenue/College Street area of the city. Interestingly, Jean's name had actually been submitted by her younger brother who, fearing that his father would get upset if he saw Jean's name included in the list of contestants, used Mrs. Tolmie's maiden name and entered Jean as Jean Ford. One of the prizes awarded the new Miss Toronto was an introduction addressed to the officials of that year's Miss America contest in Atlantic City. Jean was accepted as a contestant, although she was subsequently exempted from the finals as she had not been born in the States. Nevertheless, Jean was awarded the title of Miss Congeniality."

I'm pretty sure urbantoronto has previously seen numerous photos posted of the 1937 Miss Toronto winner, Billy Hallam. (when the competition was taken over by the Toronto Police Department Amateur Athletic Association)

Last edited:
By golly, will ya look at them gams!

Now would this be at Woodbine Racetrack in 1946?

Last edited:
How could those last shots possibly be the CNE? Sure looks like a racetrack.

Sure looks like Greenwood (Woodbine) racetrack to me. The trees and lake in the background.
Wondering if CNE had second level seating on top of the grandstand? Makes more sense to be CNE.

Last edited:
How could those last shots possibly be the CNE? Sure looks like a racetrack.

Just going by what the Archives tell me....

"Archival citation Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 1562

Title Miss Toronto Beauty Contest, 1946, C.N.E. Grandstand : ten finalists

Date(s) of creation of record(s) July 20, 1946

Physical description of record(s) 1 photonegative : b & w ; 10 x 13 cm

Form of material Photographs - events
Photographs - portraits

Forms part of Fonds 1257; Alexandra Studio fonds

Series 1057; Alexandra Studio commissioned photographs

Subjects Grandstand (Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ont. : 1907-1946)
BEAUTY CONTESTS"

Back