271     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 391     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 589     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

From link, dated 2013.

20131129-Escalator-College.jpg

I remember the wooden ones still in use in 1970 when I used to work at both Queen and College stores. They had a steady, distinctive clackety-clack sound. Even though the slats would have been hardwood and in service for many, many years, they never looked worn. In typical Eaton's fashion, no doubt the maintenance people took regular care of them.

I recall elevator operators as well but can't remember if that was when I worked there or earlier memories when I was a kid. The more experienced ones could make a level stop every time; the less experienced ones not so much. The lower the floor, the more bounce in the cable.

I *think* the College Park escalator might still be there (albeit "blocked off")--it's probably some kind of designated heritage feature. And as for the old Eaton's store on Queen, I think I recall a wooden escalator shortly before it closed (or even as part of its closing ceremony?)

I *think* the College Park escalator might still be there (albeit "blocked off")--it's probably some kind of designated heritage feature. And as for the old Eaton's store on Queen, I think I recall a wooden escalator shortly before it closed (or even as part of its closing ceremony?)

I remember the Simpson's store newer escalators (Queen & Yonge) in the 1950's having the treads and handrail moving at different speeds.

I remember the Simpson's store newer escalators (Queen & Yonge) in the 1950's having the treads and handrail moving at different speeds.
They all did a bit, particularly as parts became worn. Belts stretch or get glazed. Even some new ones sometimes do, ever so slightly if you pay close attention.

Simpson's updated their escalators in the 70's. The refurbishment included an angled stainless steel skirt panel which afforded a view up any woman's skirt. oops!

It is still there I presume. I found these pictures I took in 2015.

IMG_20151105_143447.jpg
IMG_20151105_143307.jpg

30th regiment, officers in front of Parliament Buildings, Front St. W. 1861 TPL

30th regiment, officers in front of Parliament Buildings, Front St. W. 1861  TPL.jpg

The names: Left to right. Front row - 1. Capt. Singleton. 2. Major Dillon. 3. Capt. Smith. 4.Capt. Fleming. 5. Capt. L' Estrange Herring. Second row - 6. Capt. Brook. 7. Lieut. Williamson. 8. Capt. Clarkson. Third row - 9. Lieut.-Col. Atcherley.. 10. Lieut. Sharp. 11. Major Eden. Fourth row - Capt. C. Moorson. 14. Capt. Macpherson. 15.Lieut. Cook. 16. Lieut. --- on pilar - 17. Capt. Stevenson. 18. Capt. Hobbs

lol! Only history nerds would be looking at the P sign...

Here's one for you, just one block down the street:

View attachment 117793

Anyone remember what this was forty years ago? Here's a hint: Immediately north, it was Electro Sonic Supply Company. I worked there as a kid. And then later, I became the 'hi-fi' salesman at this establishment, which was a predecessor in ways to Active Surplus, where I also worked part time some years back when I lived a few doors over on Queen Street.

At the above establishment, you'll note the "Philips" sign. I used to sell more Philips speakers in Canada than any other salesperson. Like Active, this establishment started off selling electronic surplus, a lot of it military. The two lieutenants were "Eric and Chris", and they later bought out "the old man", and concentrated more on current retail and wholesale trends in components. The upper floors and basement were packed with stock, much of it old surplus resistors, capacitors and other components.

It's a shame to see the state this building is in now, I just hope a new owner restores it rather than rip it down. All the upper floors were as built, which really dated it in its time, but now actually adds value to the right buyer.

The establishment? Dominion Radio. Yonge Street hosted a couple of competitors, but it was a dying trade on Yonge Street for these kinds of stores, just as old fashioned hardware stores are today. And what a subject that is! Some still having their original oak drawers and cupboards from pre-WWII.

"Evocative" meets "Reminiscent".
I sure remember what this was in her former days. My father Chris Comeau was one of the minds behind Dominion Radio after he and Eric bought out the old guy Roy. Spent lots of time usually summer time at the store. Unfortunately more interested in pin ball down the road than I was in the business. Mind you I was a kid. I wish the economy hadn’t crippled so many businesses in the late 70’s early 80’s otherwise DRECO would still be thriving. Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing your memories.

lol! Only history nerds would be looking at the P sign...

Here's one for you, just one block down the street:

View attachment 117793

Anyone remember what this was forty years ago? Here's a hint: Immediately north, it was Electro Sonic Supply Company. I worked there as a kid. And then later, I became the 'hi-fi' salesman at this establishment, which was a predecessor in ways to Active Surplus, where I also worked part time some years back when I lived a few doors over on Queen Street.

At the above establishment, you'll note the "Philips" sign. I used to sell more Philips speakers in Canada than any other salesperson. Like Active, this establishment started off selling electronic surplus, a lot of it military. The two lieutenants were "Eric and Chris", and they later bought out "the old man", and concentrated more on current retail and wholesale trends in components. The upper floors and basement were packed with stock, much of it old surplus resistors, capacitors and other components.

It's a shame to see the state this building is in now, I just hope a new owner restores it rather than rip it down. All the upper floors were as built, which really dated it in its time, but now actually adds value to the right buyer.

The establishment? Dominion Radio. Yonge Street hosted a couple of competitors, but it was a dying trade on Yonge Street for these kinds of stores, just as old fashioned hardware stores are today. And what a subject that is! Some still having their original oak drawers and cupboards from pre-WWII.

"Evocative" meets "Reminiscent".
Great memories! Chris was my father.

I do believe that’s in front of the Toronto Star building. Look at all the window washers!

Back