News   Apr 26, 2024
 254     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 276     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 465     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Kingston Road, looking north from Queen Street East, opposite Woodbine Park race track, at the junction of the Toronto Railway Company’s King Street line on Queen Street East and the Toronto & Scarboro’ Railway’s line on Kingston Road, Toronto........1894...TPL

Kingston Rd. at Queen St. E. 1894 TPL.jpg

That's surprising news, Geogblog.
Was it completely demolished?
Can we view your film?
The replacement is certainly a fine replica of the original, isn't it?
Maria Stx.jpg

Football fans at Danforth & Main St. station 1906 (area then known as "Little York").........TPL

York Railway Station 1906 TPL.jpg

I've heard of "cookie-cutter" homes and these are good examples.
An East York community in 1953, between Plains Rd. (at left), O'Connor Dr. ( at right) and Coxwell (stores at top).
At extreme left are the grounds of East York Collegiate Institute.........I was probably in attendance that day!

View attachment 170795

Sadly it still does not look much different in regards to trees. There are trees now, rather than the 4 or 5 I count here, but it is still barren of them.

That's surprising news, Geogblog.
Was it completely demolished?
Can we view your film?
The replacement is certainly a fine replica of the original, isn't it?
View attachment 171370
I have completed a short video of the demolition of 63 Maria St in June 2012. As I recall the house was demolished with all furnishings still inside. It was just too dangerous to enter. The demolition had to wait for Preistly's equipment to come in from Elliot Lake where they had helped deal with the collapsed shopping mall. They managed to extract the home owner's computer with the jaws of the big crusher. It was quite the event. The video:

Thanks for that amazing video, Geogblog.
It must have been stressful for the owners to have left property inside.
I wonder if insurance covered all of their belongings......as well as the house.

Thanks for that amazing video, Geogblog.
It must have been stressful for the owners to have left property inside.
I wonder if insurance covered all of their belongings......as well as the house.

I can see it shared between the homeowner's insurance and the contractor's insurance. More so for the contractor who were digging under the original foundation.

One of the problems with fixing old buildings. May not be able to save it, if the original is in such bad condition to start with. Don't forget, most of the old buildings will not meet today's building standards.

Here are my notes on this disaster:

A giant landslide occurred June 21 1966, in which the backyards of five homes on Notley Place, East York, collapsed into the Massey Creek/Taylor Creek system. Three houses were left hanging over a 100 foot drop, and one man (Leonard May, aged 58) was killed. The authorities evacuated 5 homes and sealed off access to 46 properties. The immediate cause was not known. Metro Parks Department had apparently made some excavations in the ravine on MTRCA land, but Lea's backyard had apparently been stable for 14 years (Toronto Telegram June 22 1966).

Metro Parks Commissioner Tommy Thompson is quoted as saying that builders should investigate soil conditions of ravine properties, where because possibility of slope failure exists even if fill placed on slope is fifty years old. The East York properties affected by the landslide were laid out by A W Farlinger, who denied placing fill on Leonard May's lot. Notley Place is 1/2 mile S of O'Connor & St. Clair area, within the old Woodbine Golf Club, developed for housing in the later 1940s and early 1950s. Properties affected by the slide were #31-#39 Notley Pl. They lost perhaps 18" of land during Hurricane Hazel, 1954, and had fill placed at the rear of the yards. Sidney Howe was a resident (Toronto Star June 22 1966). Mrs. Ernest Harris of #39 Notley Place reported the erosion of her backyard some 15 months ago ([Toronto] Globe & Mail June 23 1966).

Metro has agreed to step in and stabilise slide-affected homes on Notley Place, by placing fill. Metro insists that this is not an admission of responsibility. One affected was resident: John Jenkins of #35 Notley Place (Toronto Telegram June 30 1966).

Help is on the way for two Metro neighbourhoods affected by landslide risks. At Notley Place, Metro will pay for a $25,000 soil stabilization project after a resident died in a landslide recently. At Stanwood Crescent the MTRCA has given permission for a sanitary landfill scheme (a clean fill scheme would be too costly) to protect Stanwood Cres. North York Reeve James Service favours this. (Toronto Star 7 Jul 1966 p. 29).

Woodbine Gardens Fill
In April 1953 Woodbine Gardens Residents Association made a deputation to East York Council on the matter of providing surfaced roads and sidewalks in the new residential area. The residents complained of dust, mud and lack of sidewalks in the area of a new housing project being built by A W Farlinger Real Estate Co. One part of the project, according to Farlinger himself, crossed an area of recent landfill. Farlinger argued that although it could not be built on for 3 years, at least a wooden sidewalk might be laid (Toronto Star April 21 1953 p. 12).

The magistrate looks like George Taylor Denison. A legendary figure. Court St magistrates court, infamous for its grime and perpetual odors from the cells. The photo was probably taken during a bail session, in which all of the people who fell into the clutches of the police overnight come up for bail.

Denison was notorious for ploughing through his cases quickly. He once asked a defence lawyer if his man admitted to hitting Smith. The lawyer said "Yes but..." and Denison handed down sentence. Bang, done. A visiting British jurist asked Denison if this was lawful. Denison replied crisply "Sir, this is not a court of law, it is a court of justice". They don't make them like that any more.

Last edited:

Back