News   Apr 23, 2024
 171     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 678     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 432     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

We old-timers. who used film cameras, have plenty of pics in our photo albums of birthday parties and family picnics (no concern about film expense in those cases).
.......but we never thought of shooting street scenes or storefronts because there was no place to display them in the days before Internet.
The amazing invention of the Internet & digital cameras has created unimagined numbers of photographs and great placed to show & use them.
.......like Urban Toronto.ca, for example.

Lake Simcoe Ice Supply Co. wagon 1910 -Thomas Fisher Rare Bool Library-UofT
Lake Simcoe Ice Supply Co. wagon 1910 Thomas Fisher Rare Bool Library-UofT.jpg

Attachments

• Lake Simcoe Ice Supply Co. wagon 1910 Thomas Fisher Rare Bool Library-UofT.jpg
    Lake Simcoe Ice Supply Co. wagon 1910 Thomas Fisher Rare Bool Library-UofT.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 834
Grand Opera House, Adelaide-Yonge after 1870 ----Thomas Fisher Rare Bool Library-UofT

Grand Opera House Adelaide-Yonge after 1870 Thomas Fisher Rare Bool Library-UofT.jpg

Attachments

• Grand Opera House Adelaide-Yonge after 1870 Thomas Fisher Rare Bool Library-UofT.jpg
    Grand Opera House Adelaide-Yonge after 1870 Thomas Fisher Rare Bool Library-UofT.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 816
QUESTION: Is this the original police station at Yonge and Montgomery (dated corner stone)?
It's now "The Health Station."
Yonge at Montgomery.jpg

Google street view

Attachments

• Yonge at Montgomery.jpg
    Yonge at Montgomery.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 825
Thanks DSC.
That 1933 photo indicates a pretty new building.
I suspect the 1882 cornerstone was on an earlier structure.

Thanks DSC.
Yes, according to Archives the "new" building was built in 1931-32 - lots of photos of it being built on Archives site - search using Montgomery.

It appears from this that there was an older police station and fire hall on the site:
plan 1931.JPG

However there is this photo from 1911 showing library at Yonge and Montgomery (and identified as former North York Town Hall.

NY Town hall-Library.JPG

Attachments

• plan 1931.JPG
    plan 1931.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 800
  • NY Town hall-Library.JPG
    NY Town hall-Library.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 866
  • NY Town hall-Library.JPG
    NY Town hall-Library.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 409
and then there is this image from TPL Described as: "Book cover of North Toronto Town Hall, Yonge St., n.w. cor. Montgomery"
NT Library.jpg

Attachments

• NT Library.jpg
    NT Library.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 834
Thanks for prompting more research, DSC.
Here's a view of the old fire wagon:
Horse-drawn fire wagon c.1907 CTA.jpg

Attachments

• Horse-drawn fire wagon c.1907 CTA.jpg
    Horse-drawn fire wagon c.1907 CTA.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 1,105
Last edited:
Wonderful contributions re: my original question......Thanks again DSC.
I too found it interesting and can now offer a bit more:

North Toronto was annexed by Toronto in 1912 (see https://torontoist.com/2012/12/historicist-the-manifest-destiny-of-north-toronto/ )

Then the 1882 date you quote is probably explained by this - I guess the building was opened in 1882:

North Toronto Town Hall
Government building.

Details of Site Location: The northwest corner of Yonge Street and Montgomery Avenue.

PDM: TBA

Boundary History: The site was bounded on the east by Yonge, on the south by Montgomery Avenue, on the west by houses, and on the north by stores.

Current Use of Property: Commercial building with a store at grade.

Historical Description: In 1874, a Masonic Hall was built on this corner and the first floor was rented to the Township of York for Council meetings. Fire destroyed the building, and the Township records, in 1881. The records had been stored in wooden boxes. The Township purchased the ruins and the lot, and a new Town Hall was built in 1881, the same year as the fire. It was of red brick with a yellow brick trim in a Gothic style. Behind the building was a wooden shed that served as a temporary fire hall. Council meetings were held on the first floor near the front door in a raised area around which curtains could be drawn. When members broke for lunch they went across the street to the hotel. On 22 November 1889, York County Council granted incorporation to the Village of North Toronto, and its boundaries extended 1,000 feet on each side of Yonge, from Mount Pleasant Cemetery to Blythwood Road. The Town of North Toronto included the historic villages of Davisville and Eglinton and parts of Lawrence Park, and was annexed by Toronto in 1912. From 1909 to 1912 the first high school in the area was on the second floor of the Town Hall. Annexation eliminated the need for a Town Hall and the building was demolished.

Relative Importance: The importance of North Toronto’s Town Hall is in the fact that the area was one of few to become incorporated, and through incorporation it absorbed several earlier and definable communities. The modern metropolis, regardless of incorporations and constantly changing boundaries, has grown out of hundreds of early communities, and those that developed sufficiently to become separate incorporated municipalities belong to a special class. North Toronto’s Town Hall symbolized its status and expectations for the future.

Planning Implications: The site of the Town Hall deserves a plaque on the exterior wall of the present building on the site.

Reference Sources: Files of the North Toronto Historical Society; Don Ritchie, North Toronto 1992.

See: http://torontohistory.net/north-toronto-town-hall.html

Ten women; all workers at the John Inglis Co. plant, line up with 10 Bren guns, built with their own hands. These little guns are going to Allied forces all over the world. 1944 TPL

Bren guns   1944  TPL.jpg

Eight war-working grandmothers train Sten guns on the photographer's assistant. There are some seventy grandmas working at this small arms plant near Toronto. 1943 TPL

Sten guns 1943.jpg

Attachments

• Bren guns   1944  TPL.jpg
    Bren guns 1944 TPL.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,282
  • Sten guns 1943.jpg
    Sten guns 1943.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,097
Ten women; all workers at the John Inglis Co. plant, line up with 10 Bren guns, built with their own hands. These little guns are going to Allied forces all over the world. 1944 TPL

View attachment 159070

Eight war-working grandmothers train Sten guns on the photographer's assistant. There are some seventy grandmas working at this small arms plant near Toronto. 1943 TPL

View attachment 159071

Thanks for that. I never cease to be amazed at the ability we had to mobilize industry, agriculture and citizenry to focus on the war effort. My mother worked on a production line in Toronto making grenades (I know not the company) and was aboard the iconic photo of the streetcar turned over in a snowstorm.
I owned a WWII Browning 'Inglis' Hi Power from my uncle. It was virtually exactly the same as the ones made today except the finish and the addition of a lanyard ring.

Thanks DSC.

It's definitely "Municipal Moderne" a la city architect J.J. Woolnough (also cf the former Parkdale Police Station, or the Horse Palace at the Ex, etc)

South African War - Canadian troops on Bay St. at Richmond 1900 TPL

South African War - Canadian troops on Bay St. at Richmond   1900  TPL.jpg

South African War - Canadian troops on Yonge St. - looking n. from s. of Charles St. 1900 TPL

South African War - Canadian troops on Yonge St. - looking n. from s. of Charles St.   1900  TPL.jpg

Attachments

• South African War - Canadian troops on Bay St. at Richmond   1900  TPL.jpg
    South African War - Canadian troops on Bay St. at Richmond 1900 TPL.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 1,071
  • South African War - Canadian troops on Yonge St. - looking n. from s. of Charles St.   1900  TPL.jpg
    South African War - Canadian troops on Yonge St. - looking n. from s. of Charles St. 1900 TPL.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 1,081

Back