News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 458     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

its kind of remarkable how strong a visual element the first wooden hydro poles are in so many early pictures of Toronto. many of them crooked, leaning, bent, with the wires criss-crossed and web-like through the top of the frame; the hydro poles are an integral part of literally thousands of the images at the archives....

f1231_it2015.jpg

f1231_it2055.jpg

f1231_it2043.jpg

f1231_it2056.jpg

f1231_it2057.jpg

f1231_it1671.jpg

f1231_it1704.jpg

f1231_it1826.jpg

f1231_it1657.jpg

f1231_it1889.jpg

f1231_it2011.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0043.jpg

f1231_it2207.jpg

f1231_it0094.jpg

f1231_it0490.jpg

f1231_it0024.jpg

Last edited:
its kind of remarkable how strong a visual element the first wooden hydro poles are in so many early pictures of Toronto. many of them crooked, leaning, bent, with the wires criss-crossed and web-like through the top of the frame; the hydro poles are an integral part of literally thousands of the images at the archives....
f1231_it1657.jpg

What a great looking intersection. Take a look at the Coca Cola sign and their tag line "good to the last drop". I wonder if they bothered to copyright it. Maxwell House Coffee has been using the same line for at least 30 years.

What a great looking intersection. Take a look at the Coca Cola sign and their tag line "good to the last drop". I wonder if they bothered to copyright it. Maxwell House Coffee has been using the same line for at least 30 years.

i agree...i love that photo. it makes the old Toronto look so picture perfect! i love the ornate lamp stand, the beautiful wrought iron entrance to the public lavatory, the idle horse drawn cart...

according to this (quite interesting) list, Coca Cola used 'good to the last drop' between the years 1908-1917....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_slogans

Why do you think it is wrought iron, which would be incredibly time consuming to produce? Wouldn't it more likely be mass-produced cast iron, like the ornate lamp post?

Many of those "hydro poles", carried lines from others. eg

The Bell Telephone Company of Canada,

Canadian Nation Railways,

Canadian Pacific Railways.

The latter two were for their Telegraph business.

Regards,
J T

f1231_it1657.jpg

Below is what the interior of the bathroom looked like. I wonder if it's still there, sometimes they just covered them up.

bthroom.jpg

Last edited:
thank you JT!

No problem.

It would with certainty be better if I could spell!

"carried lines from others" MY QUOTE.

carried lines for others.

"Canadian Nation Railways" MY QUOTE.

Canadian National Railways.

Regourds,
J T

Below is what the interior of the bathroom looked like. I wonder if it's still there, sometimes they just covered them up.

bthroom.jpg

Wow—now there’s a thought. It’s probably still under there…be very cool to do a Geraldo-style “Uncovering Al Capone’s vault†type o’ thing there!

I wonder how many of those public lavs there were in Toronto? I know there was another at Queen and Spadina…

s0376_fl0005_it0084.jpg

s0376_fl0005_it0085.jpg

Loved your selection today, deepend, with the kaliedoscope of images from bathing beauties to muzzled greyhounds. Your Edwardian angler made me think of our relation to the outdoors and our willingness to allow our government to control practically every outdoor action in the name of "safety'. We now live in the world of corporate sponsored "WinterCity/Winterlicious" and yet skaters are not allowed to skate on Grenadier Pond.

However, a hundred years ago, Toronto Bay came alive every winter with iceboats, whose sails filled the horizon like dhows on the Nile. In 1912, there were even races between iceboats and automobiles. Now that was a Winter City!

iceboats10.jpg

iceboat.jpg

iceboat1.jpg

iceboat2.jpg

iceboat3.jpg

iceboat4.jpg

iceboat5.jpg

iceboats11.jpg

iceboats12.jpg

iceboats6.jpg

iceboats7.jpg

iceboats8.jpg

iceboats9.jpg

iceboats13.jpg

iceboats14.jpg

iceboats15.jpg

iceboats16.jpg

Loved your selection today, deepend, with the kaliedoscope of images from bathing beauties to muzzled greyhounds. Your Edwardian angler made me think of our relation to the outdoors and our willingness to allow our government to control practically every outdoor action in the name of "safety'. We now live in the world of corporate sponsored "WinterCity/Winterlicious" and yet skaters are not allowed to skate on Grenadier Pond.

However, a hundred years ago, Toronto Bay came alive every winter with iceboats, whose sails filled the horizon like dhows on the Nile. In 1912, there were even races between iceboats and automobiles. Now that was a Winter City!

iceboat2.jpg

iceboat3.jpg

iceboat4.jpg

iceboats9.jpg

extraordinary! i had no idea...
i can't remember the lake ever being this frozen--i reckon that winter's were colder back then? i love how everyone is dressed--wearing normal woolen clothing, no real concession to the 'sporting nature' of the activity. no life vests! i love the woman wearing the veil. some of the men look like they left the Wood Gundy office ten minutes previous, and hopped in the boat for a lift home! these days everyone would be kitted out in neoprene, GORE-TEX®, and 800 fill goose down jackets. Mountain Equipment Co-Op would have a whole section devoted to the latest in flotation suits and nylon/poly insulated pants....

several decades later, in more clement weather, another (far less popular) activity also took advantage of Toronto's proximity to the water...

carinwater.jpg

carinwater4.jpg

carinwater2.jpg

Back