News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Etobicoke Civic Centre redevelopment

green22

Member Bio
Reaction score
Tonight's meeting about 3 Etobicoke developments which will then go to Planning & Growth on Nov. 1.
1. Westwood lands - includes lands occupied by 6 points interchange.
2. Etobicoke Civic Centre campus lands (Civic Centre will move to 6 points area or Islington)
3. Islington Station lands. Will build over station and parking.
Details at...
http://www.toronto.ca/business/wddi.htm

Tuesday, October 16, 2007
7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Etobicoke Collegiate Institute
86 Montgomery Road, Toronto

Expect 6 points interchange removal and density issues to be brought up, but you never know.

green, the meeting has been postponed due to an "incident" at ECI. I have no further info. btw, I posted about this in the transportation section (under 6 points interchange).

Yup, postponed alright. I went down there and was greeted (along with many other confused people) by locked doors. There wasn't even a sign or notice anywhere as to the fate of the meeting, or that there even was one. I didn't find out it was postponed until I got home and angrily checked the city's website . Too much to ask to stick a piece of paper on the entrance to at least let the people who made time for this know what was going on. Typical bullshit of a bloated bureaucracy - "That's not my job!"

What do you guys think of the Etobicoke Civic Centre proposals? The first one keeps all the attractive buildings intact, but isn't very radical in urbanizing the land. However, I couldn't support the demolition of the clock and council chambers. Those are truly important heritage buildings that serve as a visual link to much different times. The borough was growing quickly and eventually became a "city", with a rather upscale building. Then all this clout disappeared, yet the council chambers are still there. It also has positive identity in the community for its galleries and farmers market (according to the pdf).

The second proposal is a nice compromise, but really, the parking lot is heritage. It stems from Etobicoke's golden age of growth that was car centric. Still, few pedestrians will lament that loss.

I am renaming this thread so that we can concentrate on Etobicoke Civic Centre changes here. As notyouagain has mentioned, there is already a thread dealing with the Westwood Lands in the transportation section under the name "Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration". There is also a thread in Transportation regarding the Islington Station Lands. We'll keep this one in Toronto Issues until such time as there is an actual project (or two) going ahead at the Etobicoke Civic Centre site.

Etobicoke centre

An open house and presentation on the consultant's findings on the West District Design Initiative - originally planned for October 16, 2007 - has now been rescheduled.

It will now be held on October 29, 2007, from 7 to 9:30 p.m., in the Council Chamber of the Etobicoke Civic Centre.

Etobicoke Civic Centre
399 The West Mall
South-east corner of Burnhamthorpe and The West Mall, Toronto ON M9C 2Y2
TTC: subway to Islington, then Burnhamthorpe bus #50 west to The West Mall

The original meeting was cancelled to a bomb threat, the school thinks it had to do with a scheduled math test that day.

If you don't want to transfer, take the 112 from Kipling station. You won't even have to cross an intersection. Also, the Civic Centre is on the south-east corner of that intersection.

The council chambers is quite the change of venue.

Pardon my ignorance, but why does Etobicoke need a civic centre at all, much less a brand new one (as is the plan)? I thought such things would become redundant through amalgamation.

All this, and the Valhalla too...
w03.png

Pardon my ignorance, but why does Etobicoke need a civic centre at all, much less a brand new one (as is the plan)? I thought such things would become redundant through amalgamation.

The former city halls have been functioning as local service centres for all sorts of City departments. As well, the local councils still meet at them to consider things like new stop signs, slowing down emergency services with new speed bumps, etc. By moving Etobchoke's to a new sexier spot on the subway, a huge plot of land on the 427 with big surface parking lots can be sold off for redevelopment and more intensive use.

Not to mention that those who agitate for the return to "metro" like Michael Prue here in E. York would like to just move back in.

I don't know if any of you were at the meeting last Monday, but at the end they mentoned that another public meeting is going to be held on Wednesday, November 7th at Islington United Church (I think) regarding transit related issues. However, I couldn't find any official notice of this meeting online and was wondering if anyone here could confirm it.

Ugh, nevermind. I found the info in another thread. I should have looked harder before opening my big mouth!

Back