News   May 06, 2024
 399     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Ethnic/cultural communities with their diasporas globally most well-represented in Toronto?

I looks like London has 989,000 South Asians as of 2011, vs 858,000 in the Toronto CMA (2011 also). However, a larger portion of London's South Asians are from Pakistan and Bangladesh, about 50% for London vs about 15% for Toronto, which leaves Toronto with a larger number of Indians (presumably including Punjabis) and Sri Lankans. The New York MSA has a comparable number of South Asians, but I think fewer Sri Lankans and Punjabis and more other Indian ethnic groups and more Bangladeshis.

So, New York might be our main challenger in terms of people of Indian descent, if not South Asian more broadly? I suppose things get tricky when you get to counting people whose ancestors left South Asia before the partition of British India (and thus before Pakistan and Bangladesh as countries as we current know them), but we are going on self-identification anyways.

I know there are countries like Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Mauritius, and South Africa who have South Asian communities that are not only larger proportionally but older and more long-standing in number of generations (mostly descended from laborers and migrants in colonial times) than North America, but as far as I can tell from a quick search, these countries probably don't seem to have one city with an absolute greater number than New York, Toronto, or London.

I know there are countries like Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Mauritius, and South Africa who have South Asian communities that are not only larger proportionally but older and more long-standing in number of generations (mostly descended from laborers and migrants in colonial times) than North America, but as far as I can tell from a quick search, these countries probably don't seem to have one city with an absolute greater number than New York, Toronto, or London.
Some of those countries have a smaller population than Toronto even.

However, a larger portion of London's South Asians are from Pakistan and Bangladesh, about 50% for London vs about 15% for Toronto, which leaves Toronto with a larger number of Indians (presumably including Punjabis) and Sri Lankans. The New York MSA has a comparable number of South Asians, but I think fewer Sri Lankans and Punjabis and more other Indian ethnic groups and more Bangladeshis.

Please note that Punjabis hail from both Pakistan and India as this province was itself partitioned between the two countries. This may make counting their numbers difficult.

Last edited:
I wonder if Americans in Toronto make up a significant population, even if arguably they aren't what you think about as an "ethnic group"; same with Canadians down south.

I have heard that LA (because of its entertainment industry) has one of the largest numbers of Canadians outside Canada, but I wonder if the city with the most Americans outside the US is in Canada too!

Here are other American cities with large Canadian populations: Seattle, Twin Cities (of Minnesota), Detroit, Buffalo, and perhaps Tampa, Miami, or Austin even.

Canadian cities with large American populations would definitely include Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal (and even Calgary to some degree).

Here are other American cities with large Canadian populations: Seattle, Twin Cities (of Minnesota), Detroit, Buffalo, and perhaps Tampa, Miami, or Austin even.

Canadian cities with large American populations would definitely include Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal (and even Calgary to some degree).

San Jose/Bay Area also has a lot of Canadians.

Canadian-born population in selected US MSAs:

New York 44,238
Los Angeles 43,349
Miami-Fort Lauderdale 35,556
Phoenix 28,953
Seattle 26,251
Detroit 25,126
San Francisco-Oakland 20,015 (plus 10,109 in San Jose)
Chicago 15,356
Washington 13,939

Last edited:

Back