News   Apr 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

ericmacm's Astrophotography Thread

ericmacm

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wanted to post my astrophotography here, it's a hobby of mine that I have been doing for a couple of years now that I really enjoy.

This first set of photos was taken at Long Point, ON last year on the beach. It's one of the best areas in Southern Ontario for clear sky viewing. I also have more on my Flickr account for those interested in the camera settings and EXIF. These are the highlights:

Long Point Astro 2018 1
by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Long Point Astro 2018 2

Long Point Astro 2018 5

Long Point Astro 2018 7

Long Point Astro 2018 11

Long Point Astro 2018 14

Long Point Astro 2018 15

Last edited:
Very nice! Just before I can onto the Forum I was looking at some NASA shots. A friend got into astrophotography few years ago. He's north of Uxbrdige so not too bad but will take trips to the dark sky preserve near Torrance or one north of Kaladar.

Very nice! Just before I can onto the Forum I was looking at some NASA shots. A friend got into astrophotography few years ago. He's north of Uxbrdige so not too bad but will take trips to the dark sky preserve near Torrance or one north of Kaladar.

Thank you! I'd imagine that in Uxbridge you can see a decent amount of stars, but the Torrance Barrens is perfect for dark sky photography. I haven't yet had a chance to go there as it's a bit of a long trip for me (Windsor). Long Point is my usual dark sky go-to but it's not perfect, you get some light pollution from Cleveland and Erie across the lake. I'm also planning to get shots up at Bruce sometime this year because it's super dark up there.

Excellent shots!! Do you do telescope astrophotography as well?

AoD

Thank you! Unfortunately not yet, telescope astrophotography is something I would really like to get into for planetary and Messier objects, but as a student with no money, I just have to make it work with what I've got for now. Next on the list is to get a sky tracker mount for my tripod.

wow! ive been a Astrophotographer myself.

that bright red star on the right side is Mars. looks beautiful during peak summer skies.

i miss British Columbia

i promise this is the last one. didnt mean to crash your thread Eric. ur work is amazing.

i promise this is the last one. didnt mean to crash your thread Eric. ur work is amazing.

View attachment 193620

Hey thanks! That is some nice work that you have done as well, it looks amazing. Do you use a star tracker mount? I am jealous of those aurora shots haha, the auroras are incredibly hard to come by in Southern Ontario.

thanks man! no i never used a star tracker for the milkyway. i used to wait for the crescent phase of the moon, thats when the milkyway is the brightest cause the moon is dark, i used to go to very dark places and wait for 10 minutes and u can see the mlkyway with your eyes.
I moved to Canada in 2011 and the first time i found out about Aurora was in 2013 through central Okanagan photography society. i was so determined to shoot northern lights but had no idea how to do so and had no idea where i could find northern lights in Vernon. i took my first Aurora shot in October 2014 and got badly addicted to chasing aurora. i would chase Aurora till 4 in the morning and skipped my midterm once cause i was chasing northern lights all night. then in November 2017 my car got stuck in Kentucky Alleyene provincial park in middle of no where.. i had to dig my car out with my bare hands and as a result lost my two nails to minor frostbite. my parents took my camera gear and was forced to quit photography for 5 months and April 2018 was the last time i photographed Aurora before i moved to Ottawa, havent seen them since then. :(

Back