Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Unfortunately, I believe that bad publicity will hurt current owners just as much as it will hurt the builder. Last thing I would want as an owner of tower 1 (which I am not ) who may some day want to sell, is for future buyers to avoid tower one because of all the negative publicity.

You're right Canchris7.... I'm just feeling a little bit bitter... I think these things happen to most condos... (Floods, elevator problems).......

I just realized they sent me an email regarding lockers that were affected by the flood. Has anyone swung by the P7 locker room? If I had known earlier I would've checked!

Any highlights from the meeting with the councillor?

There were some mixed ups. When I arrived on Sunday at 4pm, Shelley was not there. The staff wanted to call her but I suggested not to as I was the only one there. I told the staff that:
- the stairs were still flooded at the lower floors on Sat afternoon
- the locker room was still flooded at P2 on Sun afternoon.

Unfortunately, I believe that bad publicity will hurt current owners just as much as it will hurt the builder. Last thing I would want as an owner of tower 1 (which I am not ) who may some day want to sell, is for future buyers to avoid tower one because of all the negative publicity.

Unfortunately, it is too late to stuff the genie back in the bottle. There has been numerous negative postings on poor build quality from the residents of the building. Don't forget the class action lawsuit on the subway entrance. Unless the residents confront the builder to address pervasive issues, it will be hard to find a greater fool when you want to sell.

I went into the locker room on P2. There was some water on the floor most likely from the drainage holes on the ground. Some lockers were definitely impacted. I saw some household items placed outside of lockers in the hallway presumably to dry.

In the letter from property management on Sept 27, the letter talked about "your insurance company with work with you" but it didn't address the root cause of the flood. It also didn't mention any proactive inspection to ensure there'd be no repeat of the incident. Methinks the visible poor build quality you see in your units also lurks behind the walls. I wouldn't call own insurance and claim own liability yet.

Do you know if P3 lockers were affected?
Is your P2 locker the one closest to the elevators or somewhere else?

Unfortunately, it is too late to stuff the genie back in the bottle. There has been numerous negative postings on poor build quality from the residents of the building. Don't forget the class action lawsuit on the subway entrance. Unless the residents confront the builder to address pervasive issues, it will be hard to find a greater fool when you want to sell.

I went into the locker room on P2. There was some water on the floor most likely from the drainage holes on the ground. Some lockers were definitely impacted. I saw some household items placed outside of lockers in the hallway presumably to dry.

In the letter from property management on Sept 27, the letter talked about "your insurance company with work with you" but it didn't address the root cause of the flood. It also didn't mention any proactive inspection to ensure there'd be no repeat of the incident. Methinks the visible poor build quality you see in your units also lurks behind the walls. I wouldn't call own insurance and claim own liability yet.

I do not disagree with you at all, what I struggle with is the fact that all the negative posts, even regarding Build quality, seem to point the finger at ELAD, and while I hold them ultimatley responsible, part of the blame needs to Lay with the people who actually built the damn things, if there were deficiencies in the plumbing or any other hidden infrastructure, then the inspectors who approved them also share equaly in the responsibility. When I made the decision to purchase part of my decion was with who was actually responsible for the construction of the building, but having seen what I have seen in building three, I am surprised that PCL is still being awarded contracts to put up condos, they and the subcontractors they hire are a joke.

I do not disagree with you at all, what I struggle with is the fact that all the negative posts, even regarding Build quality, seem to point the finger at ELAD, and while I hold them ultimatley responsible, part of the blame needs to Lay with the people who actually built the damn things, if there were deficiencies in the plumbing or any other hidden infrastructure, then the inspectors who approved them also share equaly in the responsibility. When I made the decision to purchase part of my decion was with who was actually responsible for the construction of the building, but having seen what I have seen in building three, I am surprised that PCL is still being awarded contracts to put up condos, they and the subcontractors they hire are a joke.

Have you noticed much or any deficiencies in your suite thus far? So far, the only major construction deficiency that I can note in mine is that, they left out the caulking to the base of the kitchen island and the base of the bathroom vanities. I'm hoping that they'll get around to doing that at some point. (Also, they didn't provide me with my upgraded mirrored slider.) But beyond that, I didn't have that much to complain about.

On another note, did the flooding have any affect on the washer? Mine doesn't seem to work when I push the start button.

Hey guys,

Been looking at the thread and it's good to see us helping each other where we can. I'm in the first tower but weren't on the lower floors that are affected. I've sent note to Property Management asking them for more details on what caused the flood and to look at improving communications during the process. I also recommended that a meeting be scheduled during the evening to address residents questions / concerns.

Some additional info:

- Saw councillor Shelly Carol at the entrance today and overheard there will be a condo board meeting in mid-October (I am definitely going to attend)
- My locker is in P3 and some lockers did sustain some water damage
- Talking to the conceirge yesterday he told me that the cause of the floor was that one of the main water pipes bursting and not a particular unit (makes sense if you look at the extent of the damage) - however, this is just speculation and i hope Property Management will have a update soon on this

On the bright side i am getting a great work out walking up and down 20+ flights of stairs since Friday... lol

Thanks Techia for the update.

During this experience, I met a lot of great people living in the condo. Surprisingly everyone I've talked to was able to laugh it off while we trekked up and down the stairs. Suddenly all the residents at 70 Forest Manor are very fit. :)

Hey guys,

Been looking at the thread and it's good to see us helping each other where we can. I'm in the first tower but weren't on the lower floors that are affected. I've sent note to Property Management asking them for more details on what caused the flood and to look at improving communications during the process. I also recommended that a meeting be scheduled during the evening to address residents questions / concerns.

Some additional info:

- Saw councillor Shelly Carol at the entrance today and overheard there will be a condo board meeting in mid-October (I am definitely going to attend)
- My locker is in P3 and some lockers did sustain some water damage
- Talking to the conceirge yesterday he told me that the cause of the floor was that one of the main water pipes bursting and not a particular unit (makes sense if you look at the extent of the damage) - however, this is just speculation and i hope Property Management will have a update soon on this

On the bright side i am getting a great work out walking up and down 20+ flights of stairs since Friday... lol

Do you know if P3 lockers were affected?
Is your P2 locker the one closest to the elevators or somewhere else?

My locker is inside room 7(?) as you exit the elevators on P2. No, I didn't go down to P3.

On Sunday, I also saw repair being done on 4th floor on a wall opposite to the elevator but outside of individual units. I chatted with a resident from 3rd floor. He said about 20 people from his floor were directing the flood water to go down the stairs. During my 20 minute elevator ride after work on Monday, the elevator stopped on 3rd and 4th floor. There were a lot of garbage bags in the hallway. They looked like damaged building material and packaging for repair material.

I realize different residents have had different build defect experience. You can look back my earlier post with a picture of the most ridiculous defect in my unit. So while Tarion will cover defects inside your units, the condo board needs to ensure the common infrastructure is in good order. Some engineering audit is in order.

I know PCL did the construction. Ultimately, your contract is with El-Ad. As such, proper project management and quality control should have been in place. There are good reasons to be concerned about the common area. I will give you two examples of poor designs in the common area. You can be the judge if they were done in negligence or greed.

Staging area for garbage - I have lived in buildings by Tridel, Minto and Menkes. In all of them, there were dedicated area to handle garbage. Before the summer, the garbage staging area at 70 Forest Manor was the moving area. After compliant of garage smell seeping through the moving elevator, the bins were moved to the loading dock. Often the bins are so full that the lids cannot be closed properly. Pity the residents on 2nd or 3rd floor near the loading dock. Both storage and capacity of garbage was poorly planned.

Ramp to parking - 70 Forest Manor is the first building I've experienced with a sharp turn at the top of the ramp. If you look around other large buildings, the ramp is almost always straight. In icy condition, ingress and egress traffic will be prone to accident. Now we know why there is a sharp turn at the top of the ramp. Townhouses are being marketed for just below $700K per.

Ramp to parking - 70 Forest Manor is the first building I've experienced with a sharp turn at the top of the ramp. If you look around other large buildings, the ramp is almost always straight. In icy condition, ingress and egress traffic will be prone to accident. Now we know why there is a sharp turn at the top of the ramp. Townhouses are being marketed for just below $700K per.

I get nervous every time I drive in and out of that ramp. This is why a majority of the time, I use the garage doors on the George Henry Street side to drive in and out.

Back