News   Mar 27, 2020
 1.3K     0 
News   Mar 27, 2020
 4K     5 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
The last I heard it was only going to be underground from Royal York to Martin Grove. Which, if thats the case, I dont mind.

Those are 4 major intersections, and I could see the merit in full grade separation.

It would look something like this

Basically a hybrid of Options.

If the entire line was underground, that would be an epic waste; the section from Martin Grove to Renforth is literally in the middle of nowhere and will be fully grade separated at grade!

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
My understanding is that Metrolinx is essentially planning Option 4, so yes, it's not 100% underground. Just fully grade separated with an ~3.5km tunnel through the central portion of Eglinton.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
My understanding is that Metrolinx is essentially planning Option 4, so yes, it's not 100% underground. Just fully grade separated with an ~3.5km tunnel through the central portion of Eglinton.
Thats not option 4 btw that I posted, its a heavily modified version I did to mockup what the province is now planning.

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
And I would assume that the section from Renforth to Pearson is elevated.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From 2017, the EGLINTON WEST LRT EXTENSION TECHNICAL & PLANNING UPDATE from this link.

Notice the "Not Preferred"s in the images from the PDF.
Note the reasons for it though. "introduces vertical transfers", "reduced intuitive wayfinding", "impacts natural surveillance".

First of all, what the heck is "natural surveillance"? Second of all, do you honestly think that people would rather have their commute be 10 minutes longer to avoid a set of stairs? what?

The weighing of the pros and cons in the City's analysis was rigged to make the at grade alignment the "preferred option".

Elevated had double the ridership, half the travel time, and was generally a much more effective transit system. The City was cheaping out because they didn't want to foot the bill for it.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Note the reasons for it though. "introduces vertical transfers", "reduced intuitive wayfinding", "impacts natural surveillance".

First of all, what the heck is "natural surveillance"? Second of all, do you honestly think that people would rather have their commute be 10 minutes longer to avoid a set of stairs? what?

The weighing of the pros and cons in the City's analysis was rigged to make the at grade alignment the "preferred option".

Elevated had double the ridership, half the travel time, and was generally a much more effective transit system. The City was cheaping out because they didn't want to foot the bill for it.
For "accessibility" they'll need elevators for grade separated stations. That's plural, because of the possibility that if a singular elevator is out-of-service, some people will need to get the nearest other station, and hope that elevator is in-service. Hence the "10 minute longer".