News   Jul 04, 2024
 156     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 268     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 832     0 

Eglinton LRT- Skytrain Beams Vs. Median Right-of-Way

Assuming he can execute on his ideas.. which he can't, both by his own poor skill set and by popular consensus.
All he has to execute to create havoc is cancel the order for 204 streetcars. I don't know if that can be done at just the Executive Committee level or not.

All he has to execute to create havoc is cancel the order for 204 streetcars. I don't know if that can be done at just the Executive Committee level or not.

That's got to go to a vote. And at this point, the repercussions for such a thing, would have to be severe...

Well, according to McG, funding is locked for Transit City, this does leave an interesting situation to the transit purposals by the mayor candidates.

And... if the 204 LRVs replacing the present rolling stock iare killed then it would effectively shut things down a lost faster than the current proposals, and cause havok.

I hope my assessments are wrong.

Well, according to McG, funding is locked for Transit City, this does leave an interesting situation to the transit purposals by the mayor candidates.

And... if the 204 LRVs replacing the present rolling stock iare killed then it would effectively shut things down a lost faster than the current proposals, and cause havok.

I hope my assessments are wrong.

Again, the repercussions for cancelling that order would be too severe, even Ford has admitted that and his solution would be to sell them off to other cities.. which is utter bogus. And also, all this has to have support of council, and the Adam Vaughans of council will see to it that this would never happen, and finally, Ford's campaign is unravelling and starting to fall apart as many have predicted. The majority of voters know better than to give the reigns of this city over to a child.

The majority of voters know better than to give the reigns of this city over to a child.

Ford needs a plurality, not a majority.

Hopefully, Rossi will out-wacko Ford and split the wacko vote, thus giving someone else the plurality.

Meanwhile back at the elevated transit thread................
LRT is a very poor and expensive option. It requires the construction of the overhead power lines. Elevated subway, SkyTrain or especially monorail is a far superior choice. Monorail has, by far the smallest footprint and casts little shadow over the street. The pillars are also much smaller meaning they do not effect the urban landscape nearly as much. It should only be tunneled thru the original city of Toronto boundaries. It is the fastest to construct and the cheapest due to most being being made off site and then just assembled at site. Monorail can also be built at grade if needed as long as it has a driver and can elevate over streets. It's a logical choice for Toronto and far superior on a road like Eglinton.

Besides the fact the building faces along critical parts of Eglinton are only 30m apart (making an elevated system impossible), how can you say stringing wires up is too expensive while building an elevated track is financially acceptable?

I can’t see any advantages to building an elevated track in Toronto. The only reason Vancouver uses elevated tracks is they can’t build underground systems due to the geology. The bedrock is too close to the surface. If you’re building a system than needs more capacity than what an LRT can provide on the surface then an underground system is the next best choice. Elevated tracks, besides being expensive to built and maintain, are invariably ugly and create a psychological barrier within the city, no matter how much you dress them up.

Elevated tracks have may their place, but not in central Toronto.

..... Elevated tracks, besides being expensive to built and maintain, are invariably ugly and create a psychological barrier within the city, no matter how much you dress them up.

I would argue that being in a subway tunnel for prolonged and repeated amounts of time has its own
psychological cost that needs to be addressed. It can be really depressing!

Besides the fact the building faces along critical parts of Eglinton are only 30m apart (making an elevated system impossible), how can you say stringing wires up is too expensive while building an elevated track is financially acceptable?

I can't see any advantages to building an elevated track in Toronto. The only reason Vancouver uses elevated tracks is they can't build underground systems due to the geology. The bedrock is too close to the surface. If you're building a system than needs more capacity than what an LRT can provide on the surface then an underground system is the next best choice. Elevated tracks, besides being expensive to built and maintain, are invariably ugly and create a psychological barrier within the city, no matter how much you dress them up.

How are elevated tracks create barriers? I guess you've disregarded the elevated systems throughout almost every other major city in the world, which don't seem to tear communities apart. Granted, I bet if the TTC wasn't paying attention, they could very well screw up monumentally, but then they could do the same with LRT. Take a look at the elevated RT in Vancouver or Tokyo; those in no way tear communities apart. In fact, with even the slightest aesthetic talent, elevated tracks could actually make for a better community, having stores and such around stations, and creating a less imposing landscape along arterials.

If you're talking about inner-city, that's kind of obvious. But elevated tracks outside of build up areas really is a must that Toronto hasn't grasped the concept of yet.

In the rest of the world at grade and elevation are the rule not the exception for Metro systems outside the downtown/inner city.
How in god's name could elevation ruin the street scape of a suburban street lined with fast food, Walmarts, gas stations, and auto dealers? It's not like LRT tracks and power lines are any better but due to running at grade they cannot possibly have elevated system speeds. They are also much more reliable due to not having to deal with street traffic/intersections where one small car accident or even stall can bring the whole streetcar system to a screeching halt. Rapid transit is only as good as it's weakest point.
If Toronto wants to really get a rpaid transit it better get use to elevated systems or it will continue it's blisstering 8km/ decade subway expansion.
This is why Vancouver has soared past Toronto in it's mass transit expansion and with another 30km of SkyTrain expansion to completed by 2019 the gap will only widen.

This is why Vancouver has soared past Toronto in it's mass transit expansion and with another 30km of SkyTrain expansion to completed by 2019 the gap will only widen.

Don't be silly, you completely forgot about the 50km of subway extensions Toronto will have done by 2015. Haven't you heard? Ford is in da HOUSE! TCB- he's tak'n care'o'binness!

yea and im sure that the billions of $$ required will just magically appear in front of him along with the seals of approval from the city council
good luck trying to get enough nods to even think seriously about this most radical of plans. Viva itself took 3 years to plan and implement, and it didnt even have any rails.
50km of subway in 5 years.... unless this becomes a national build project, good luck with your fancy far fetched dreams

Back