563     0 
News   Oct 10, 2024
 466     0 
News   Oct 10, 2024
 436     1 

East End, Harbourfront and CNE Updates 14.04.07

S

spmarshall

I got on my bike and went all the way from my place in North York to downtown via Forest Hill, Mount Pleasant Cemetary and Rosedale (the Belt Line Trail is neat crossing over the subway yards, Yonge and though the cemetary).

I've never seen this micro shopping street on Summerhill east of Mount Pleasant before. Never knew it existed. It has a few markets, two banks, and some other stores.

Summerhill.jpg

The Star-Crossed of Downtown:

Wellesley is still closed.

Star1.jpg

Star2.jpg

Star3.jpg

Star4.jpg

Star5.jpg

500 Sherbourne:

Star7.jpg

Met and ROCP from Sherbourne/Wellesley:

Star8.jpg

Verve

Verve2.jpg

With the new library and Wellesley Central centre, already, this corner is looking a lot better.

Verve3.jpg

Wellesley Tower. Ugh.

Wellsley.jpg

Gerrard/Church

Gerrard.jpg

Retchopolis:

Retchopolis1.jpg

Retchopolis2.jpg

Retchopolis3.jpg

Retchopolis4.jpg

Retchopolis5.jpg

Regent Park update:

RPApr1.jpg

RPApr2.jpg

Met from RP:

RPApr3.jpg

Tannery Lofts (this is taking forever to finish!)

Tannery.jpg

Work progressing at Don Mount:

DM1.jpg

RIP Canary Restaurant:

Canary.jpg

Pure Spirit:

PureSprit.jpg

Project Shitphony:

RIP Filmport

FilmPort.jpg

Project1.jpg

Project2.jpg

City Place from Queen's Quay.

CityPlace.jpg

Metronome/Possible new museum:

Silos.jpg

Quay West:

QuayWest1.jpg

QuayWest2.jpg

West Harbour City:

WHC2.jpg

My favourite pic:

WHC1.jpg

WHC3.jpg

WHC4.jpg

The Prince's Gates look a lot better. Good job!

Gates1.jpg

Gates2.jpg

Gates3.jpg

BMO Field. I'll, admit, despite its lowish budget, it's growing on me.

BMO2.jpg

BMO3.jpg

BMO4.jpg

BMO5.jpg

Ticket office will be within 200 metres from the TTC loop and GO station. Final preps are being made, the place was busy with welding and finishing touches today.

BMO6.jpg

Video ad about to go up (and is not at all attached to the stadium, nor is it supposed to be allowed by the city for safety reasons.

BMO7.jpg

BMO8.jpg

Thank you spmarshall, that's great. One thing, I don't think that is 500 Sherbourne as identified above.

Thanks for the update spm - glad to see Regent Park moving quickly.

re: 500 Sherbourne

It's 490 Sherbourne, a supportive housing building by Fife House/Woodgreen. 500 is a fugly tower that is best left unbuilt.

AoD

Nice update, spm... thanks. I like that new Wellesley library. It hasn't gotten a lot of attention here.

Thanks for posting this update. I actually like the way 22 turned out.

"The Met looks ten times better then ROCP IMO."

Yeh- I even prefer the MEt over Spire. I was strolling up Bay yesterday and was quite surprised how chintzy ROCP looked up close. I think the Aura design looks better and will block from view much of I and II from Yonge St.

22 Wellesley's 90% precast east wall will eventually be hidden behind (what its developers hope will be) a 44 floor condo. Who knows how many the OMB will eventually allow in that spot, but whatever is built will hide that whole east wall in any case, and 22 Wellesley's 3 other much more appealling sides will remain its public face.

Re: East End, Harbourfront and CNE Updates 14.04.07

Thank you for the update, sp. It's especially good to see the progress at Regent Park and Don Mount, two areas which in the past have been less than inspiring to say the least. Renewal in these locations is a very optimistic sign. I'm almost more pleased to see this than to see a big new iconic building.

Re: East End, Harbourfront and CNE Updates 14.04.07

Observer Walt, I agree. I love the iconic buildings we're getting these days that'll change the definition of our skyline, but when it comes to urbanity (and I don't think for the good of the city as a whole is an exaggeration), Regent Park is definitely one that I'm looking forward to following. Besides the aesthetic improvements of the buildings over what's there now and before, the extension of a number of streets, introduction of more commercial space and mixing up the income-ranges a bit should lead to some good results.

Everyone: The Prince's Gate at the CNE grounds looks GREAT! I attended the EX 3 times in the 80s. Is the BMO Stadium facility the old Exhibition Stadium? A few TO memories for me here! LI MIKE

Back