News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 851     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

East Bayfront: Parkside/Bayside/Dockside neighbourhoods Overview

The more I think about it, the more I think this neighbourhood, if done in the spirit of WaterfrontToronto, could become one of the biggest leisure destinations in Toronto! Human scaled parks, buildings, promenades with cafes, incredible public art with buildings designed by some of the most known names in architecture.

I hope for the best here, it could be a new formula to follow for the rest of Toronto's revitalization.

Btw, does anyone have the list of architects for the West Donlands?

^the first and only phase of the West Donlands to go up for "request for proposals" was won by Saucier + Perotte, agrueably, the best major firm in the nation

Yes, that is arguable, but I agree they are very good.

I haven't gone through the East Bayfront plans as meticulously as the West Don Lands, but if the plans are as strong as WDL, let's split up the EB sites and give each entry 2 or 3 acres :)

Don't know about anyone else, but Menkes + Arquitectonica sounds like a good idea for a waterfront site or two to me. 13 acres of Graziani & Corazza sounds scary.

Yeah, I've already silently voted for that bid to lose.

"Bidding teams for the 13-acre Bayside site"

One monolithic developer. 13 acres. Architecture no matter how good can't save the day.

Can't help notice that the Corus building is the crappiest building in the whole animation. Hopefully the other developments will be a better than seen in the animation.

Sherbourne park looks great and i'm liking all the patterned tiles they seem to be using in the animation. I wonder if they plan on doing that or if they'll switch to concrete.

The animation is pretty impressive and I certainly like the massing of most of the buildings lining the avenues/streets. I would hope that there are a number of individual architectural competitions upon completion of the initial bidding process. I would (future) worry that later, the actual designs will be left up to the businesses and developers who choose/get/bribe/steal/cheat/kill to obtain the rights to build on these areas. I think if they hold open competitions for young architects on some of the projects, it could be seen as both fostering a fledgling profession in Toronto, while also allowing for some of the younger firms to get exposure and receive a commission- something that is hard to come by in this three architect town.

p5

Awesome animation... but now I'm confused as to how this is different than First Waterfront Place. It looks to me like this the same parcel of land.

"Bidding teams for the 13-acre Bayside site"

One monolithic developer. 13 acres. Architecture no matter how good can't save the day.
Exactly. How is this going to turn out any better than Cityplace? While the video is only a fantasy, I hope the City uses everything in their arsenal (architectural review panel? OMB bribery/intimidation?) to ensure that the plan comes to fruition.

They certainly appear to have the right idea based on the rendering. I especially like the pedestrian streets.

Back