News   Mar 28, 2024
 86     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

As someone that will be moving to this area within the next year. I can say I am happy for the design. The sound barriers will come as a large relief to those that will be occupying the new developments that are backing onto those lines.

It is doubtful that any new mixed traffic streetcar routes will ever be implemented.

Ideally Dufferin could get a TC line that runs underground to Fairbank Station and in the middle of the road north from there, but no ones going to pay for that.
and how much wider is Dufferin north of Fairbank/Englinton? Those townhomes on Dufferin are being built and just like the ones at Islignton and Eglinton will be too close to Dufferin. Condos are right to the sidewalk at Lawrence, Yorkdale ramp, other condos planned for Apex Road. They should be looking at potential transit along that stretch while planning development along that stretch

No, they shouldn't. A Dufferin Streetcar might be appealing to rail nuts and transit fans, but it doesn't make much sense, especially one from Exhibition to Dupont. Where would you loop the Dufferin buses? What about through passengers not headed to the subway? Anyway, the TTC isn't interested in operating new streetcar lines in mixed traffic.

But building tracks on Dufferin to Dundas has some merit for Dundas-Exhibition services during special events (CNE, TFC matches, concerts, Royal Winter Fair, Caribana).
Well if you have a streetcar than no need for buses

They should protect for a loop using the new streets through the Freed re-development on the corner of Dupont and Dufferin.
thats why transit planing along with re-developemnt need to go hand in hand

Just as you thought it was gone... ...it's b-a-c-k!

The Dufferin Jog is back and as annoying as ever

See link.

2016922-dufferin-jog.jpg

How? Giambrone was the councillor who was integral in getting rid of the jog.

From the article:

When the bridge was improved six years ago, Metrolinx wanted to piggyback an expansion project onto the construction so that it would have an extra rail lane available for its projected service increase to the Barrie GO Lines that travel across the overpass.

This request was ultimately denied as then area councillor Adam Giambrone claimed that the area had already suffered for too long during the initial construction phase, which lasted five years. This was the equivalent of someone avoiding a visit to the dentist. Eventually you have to face the pain.

And so it is that the Dufferin Jog has returned as Metrolinx now works to add the fourth rail line that it put off in 2010. Dufferin is once again closed between Queen and Peel streets, necessitating an annoying detour that causes major traffic jams during rush hour.

Maybe they should be laying streetcar tracks now between Queen Street and Peel Avenue, instead of later (which would involve closing the center of Dufferin Street under the railway... again).
Need approved EA to do that. Since there isn't one, not going to happen.

Why would TTC spend money for a line that goes no where and would have to be rebuilt before it happen???

I'm sick and tired of you going out of your way to disagree with my posts -- all you had to do was read the article.
??? I simply asked how. Someone already answered. There's no need for your hostility and rudeness. I'm sick and tired of your rudeness! I don't think I've disagreed with one of your posts for months. Not that I pay much attention to who I'm replying to.

Back